Free Models and Media / Free Chair and Box

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2016 04:35
My first attempt at modeling . Not great but I'm sure this will be the beginning of a fun road .
Free to use any way you like. Done with Wings3d .

I found the UVMapping to be the most aggravating aspect so far.

Download: http://www.versionxgaming.com/doggys.zip

PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I found the UVMapping to be the most aggravating aspect so far. "

And that's the easiest bit !! ....I'm Kidding ....Its a nightmare for everyone
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 5th Jan 2016 22:23
Quote: "And that's the easiest bit !! ....I'm Kidding ....Its a nightmare for everyone "

I actually really do find UV mapping to be the easiest bit, it takes me a good few hours to make the actual models and about ten minutes to unwrap and texture them :p
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Nearly Everyone !!
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2016 08:12 Edited at: 6th Jan 2016 08:13
Good work on the models BTW, they look good.

Quote: "Nearly Everyone !! "

Lol!

In all seriousness though, I really do find UV mapping to be quick and simple compared to the actual modelling. I think it's probably to do with my OCpD, I have to get everything right and aligned properly, so when making the model I spend way too much time getting the angle just so and the vertices and nodes lined up just right, but once that's done the UV mapping unwraps fairly easily because everything lines up right and I don't have to tweak the maps to much.

Mental disorders do appear to have their uses lol.
=VX=Doggy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2016 05:00
Quote: "vertices and nodes lined up just right"

Haha I think this is why I was having a hard time with the UV mapping. I guess I need to be careful and make them line up better. But I'm so new at this and will learn as I go i'm sure.
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2016 08:05 Edited at: 7th Jan 2016 09:25
I don't know if wing3D has similar, but in blender there's a tool that has really calmed my OCpD down a lot, if you select a vertices or node you can shift select another vertices or node then hit alt+M and you get a merge menu, this gives you the option to merge two or more vertices or nodes together, you can choose to merge at the first, at the last, in the middle and lots of other ways, this is great for when you have two groups that you actually need to be flush together but had to make them separately for some reason.

Or if you are shaping an object, for example last night I made a roof section by scaling a cube, adding a loop cut across the top, then lowering the edges on two opposing sides, the problem with this is no matter how close you get them there's always going to be double the number of edges, so instead of dragging them down, for each side select the bottom edge, then shift select the top edge press alt+M and select first and it makes the same shape with half the edges.

Not sure if the program you use has a similar feature but its worth looking into, saves a lot of messing about when unwrapping.
Chromehound
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2016 19:38
I remember wanting to throw my mouse a few times when I first started texturing and doing the mapping and all that. I didn't have any nifty unwrap programs, not to mention I didn't know what I was doing to begin with (still don't!).

A great start though so keep at it. It gets easier...........usually
PM
=VX=Doggy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2016 23:12
Thanks. Yea I now have a tiny bit more of an idea about what i'm doing , I may move over to blender. I know wings has restrictions of things it can do, like animation .

Yea I also was making something last night and could not find a way to merge 2 objects as so they dont overlap , causing it in game to look funny, flickering and such. Like when you put an entity on another entity and they overlap .

Quote: "A great start though so keep at it. It gets easier...........usually "

I hope so Chrome
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 17:15:00
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 17:15:00