Free Models and Media / Free House

Author
Reviewed GameGuru on Steam
Years of Service
User Offline
Happy New Year everyone! Here is a free model of a house I made in sketchup. First model I made and just wanna give back to the community. Let me know what you think.

Download attached.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
HarryWever
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2016 14:45
for your first model it looks great...
nice...
The first time you got your model working in GG is Always fun..

Harry

Harry
PM
str8savagem8
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 4th Jan 2016 08:52 Edited at: 4th Jan 2016 15:35
That's really good for your first attempt.

I've never used milkshape before so I don't know how it outputs, but one piece of advice I can give as someone who has recently gone through the learning process, is to try not to use Jpegs for the models textures, use them to make the textures by all means but the output should be in png at the least or (more prefereably) dds. Jpegs are quite large and don't have alpha channels so may cause issues.

Ideally what you want to do is to bake an ambient occlusion layer, then unwrap, texture and create three files, a diffuse, a normal and a specular texture, to give it shadows, depth and a "bumpy" feel.

I'm not sure how that is done in milkshape, but I can point you to a very god and easy to understand series of video guides for this using blender (a free 3d modelling program) and GIMP (a free equivalent of Photoshop).

Check out Unfamillias thread here: https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/208184

It's well worth checking out.

Keep up the good work, you've done great for your first model!

p.s. if you don't mind i'll see if i can import your model into blender tonight, and retexture it with the D N & S textures to show you the difference it makes.
=VX=Doggy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2016 04:26
Nice!
PM
str8savagem8
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2016 16:56 Edited at: 5th Jan 2016 17:01
@Belidos Actually just used sketchup with a directx plugin. Was trying to get it to work in milkshake so I could maybe screw with it a little more but it had missing parts whenever I imported the .obj file, so I just exported it straight from sketchup. And yeah if you want you can import into blender, this is free for any modifying, editing, or any use really. Should be interesting to see what you can do with it.

@=VH=Doggy Thanks.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2016 17:04
I had a go last night, and I don't know how sketchup works, but it took a lot to get it into a state where I could texture it in the way GG prefers, there were a lot of additional vertices and faces that weren't needed, every facing as double sided and was made up of three or four faces, might be that milkshape was getting confused because of that.

It misght also have happened because I had to convert it to FBX in ultimate unwrap to import into blender though, I don't really know. I'll ran out of time last night so i'll get the texturing done tonight and see how t comes out.

I would highly recommend Blender (with the .x plugin) though, it's totally free and once you get over learning the controls so simple to use. It's actually being used a lot by professional 3D animators for commercials lately because it works so well.
str8savagem8
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2016 18:54 Edited at: 5th Jan 2016 21:03
Yeah I was initially going to import it to blender as a .dae file. I'm no good at blender so all I used it for was to export to .obj for a Milkshape. I just need to take the time to learn how to use Blender sometime so I can make better models.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2016 22:28
Take a look at the videos I linked, Unfamillia is great at tutorials, his series of video tutorials for creating a model in blender and making it gameguru ready is amazing, it's so detailed he actually tells you exactly which button to press and why, I've not come across another blender tutorial that is so detailed yet so easy to understand. I literally watched those videos and made the model as I watched and within a couple of hours I was able to make my own models with only the odd quick reference to the videos.
str8savagem8
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice, I might make a model this weekend using that method. Will update when I get to it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 16:09:20
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 16:09:20