Product Chat / Batch Entity Imports

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all,
Just wondering if there's a way of importing multiple objects at once? I have a load of different rock entities but I want to change the texture on all of them, the texture will be the same for them all. Just curious because I don't fancy doing the same thing for about 50 models.

Regards,
Nathan
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2015 01:29
There is always a workaround here at TGC You can grab yourself a free copy of a tool called NotePad++. You can then highlight all your FPE files in one go and drag them into this tool. It will load all the text files into it under tabs. You can then perform a Replace All function across all files and look for something like:

textured = barrell_acid_D.dds

and have the replace tool change it to something like:

textured = newrock_D.dds

You then do Save All, and next time you load those entities into GameGuru, it will use the new newrock_D.dds texture if found alongside the entity file. Don't worry about BIN files, we deleted them a while ago so the FPE change is reflected the moment you restart GameGuru and re-load your level.
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

Nathan38
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you, Lee you absolute hero! Since I've got you here I've got a weird question about a feature that isn't even in GG yet, it's the Infinite Terrain feature. When/If you implement this, will there be away of importing our current levels into one big level? I don't even know if thats possible but currently I'm making smaller parts of an open world game. Thanks again! and I really love the new GG build, you guys are awesome
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2015 10:30
We have been talking about the infinite terrain system in the last few days, and it looks to be morphing into some kind of volumetric terrain editor, so you can do things like overhangs, caves, detailed sculpting, e.t.c. plus the benefit that it can be scaled to the machine you are running on. I am not sure about stitching levels together, but we will certainly support backwards compatibility with the current heightmap data and I dare say we could implement a clipboard system which can copy a section of terrain, load in the latest project, then paste it into the new infinite terrain. That said, there are always benefits to loading in your game in sections, so you don't try to cram everything into one session and run out of memory.
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 00:05:30
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 00:05:30