Product Chat / Hi, I'm new (and, yes, have questions)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, as you can see I'm new to the forum, although I have dabbled with FPS Creator Classic and Reloaded a couple years ago before returning to GG a few days ago.

I know how annoying it is to be asked questions that have been asked over and over again so I assure you I did research in trying to find answers to these questions.

Long story short, a few months ago I attempted to learn Unity 3D gaming to create my game, but ultimately scrapped it as I simply didn't have the time and patience to learn all the coding for even the most basic layouts. So I returned to GG.

The reason why I left the then known as FPS Creator was because I felt the program was too limited in what I wanted to do (although GG has looked to have come a long way since then).

So now, the questions:

1. According to their website, GG changed it's name because it wanted to offer more options than just a FPS game, including the option to create a THIRD person shooter. I was very excited to read this as I have been wanting to make a Third Person Shooter forever, much more than a First Person and it was the biggest reason why I attempted Unity, so I wouldn't have to settle with just First Person games. However, after doing some Googling that most recent update in a Third Person option was back in May 2015, and really nothing since.

So I ask, how far are we from GG allowing anyone to create a Third Person Shooter?

2. One thing I noticed about every ones game that I looked up is how the health and weapons bars all the the default look provided by GG. Are we able to customize the looks of these screen images?

This one is important to me because I feel that if too many features in GG cannot be edited then, IMO, it will feel everyone is playing the same game and that GG is nothing more that a level editor of the same game.

3. Although I left Unity as a result of the overwhelming work, I am interested in eventually learning to create my own characters and other assets for my game. I don't want to have to rely on the provided assets or the asset store.

Keeping in mind, as I have pretty much NO programming experience at all, what is the best asset creator engine for a rookie like me to eventually use?

Thanks you, and I look forward to developing my skills with GG!

P.S. Here is a screenshot of the first level of the game I am currently working on:

Attachments

Login to view attachments
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Dagger_Valley

Third person is possible right now but only the Wizard is 100 % compatible at this moment
Simply place your starter marker and drag the wizard on to it and click .... You can then right click and adjust the view distance and height so Isometric style games are also possible as the example below shows ..

Health and weapon bars can be customised manually and also scripted
There is no easy editor for it at this time ..
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2015 17:59 Edited at: 1st Dec 2015 18:04
Quote: "So I ask, how far are we from GG allowing anyone to create a Third Person Shooter?"

If you want a third person mage, then yes, otherwise I am not sure how far you can change the animations of some characters to work in third person with a gun...

Quote: "Are we able to customize the looks of these screen images?"

I do not think so.

Quote: "Keeping in mind, as I have pretty much NO programming experience at all, what is the best asset creator engine for a rookie like me to eventually use?"

With no programming, it will be hard, but not impossible, cause a lot of scripters present here very usefull scripts with comments. So you needn´t write scripts from scratch, you just must modify it to your needs(not very hard with a good commented script)
If I missunderstand you and you need a modelling tool, then I just have one advice:
Test a lot of them and search for your best solution. Nobody can say he has the best programm for you. For my part, I use Hexagon 3D, I find it the best, but nobody besides me use it

Edit:
Quote: "Health and weapon bars can be customised manually and also scripted"

How? In your video it seems like you just put a image above?

Hope I could help you.
My dream is to develope games, which makes fun when I create it and fun when other people play it.
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
HUD changes will be more possible next update (should be next week), right now it's possible to change them but it's a long process and requires overwriting the core files so most people don't bother... it'll be much simpler next update and you can easily just use your own images (with a little bit of code to display the health and ammo again)
life\'s one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2015 19:30
Hello and welcome back to the gang!

Question 1:

I have seen some very convincing prototypes that went in that direction. Sure, its all still rough around the edges but it should be integrated in a more matured form soon.

Allow me to add that third person has been done in FPSC in the past...there has also been a very convincing top down shooter called "Outbreak".

I believe a lot more will be doable in guru very soon.

Question 2 :

Not just yet but soon.

Question 3:

You will not need to do much coding If you look at how the content that is already in the engine works and replicate the steps it will be easy to get your own meshes to work. Check out the current modeling packages that are available. I use the combi of oldies like fragmotion and milkshape while many users on here are pretty happy with the free and powerful blender.

-Wolf
"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"
"absurdity has become necessity"
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2015 20:54
2. I think it is possible to change the jpg files to your own custom health/ammo bar. (still a counter with numbers... but with your own font/style)
Old school FPS fan, DOOM!!! Why GG not working on my AMIGA 500?
PM
Sanguis
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2015 22:39 Edited at: 1st Dec 2015 22:39
Quote: "2. I think it is possible to change the jpg files to your own custom health/ammo bar. (still a counter with numbers... but with your own font/style)"

Yes, you can. You can simply replace them by using StyleGuru (A tool in the 3rd party forum). Ok, it's long ago I tested it. Maybe a GG update changed something. But I don't think so.
Alienware 17R3 Laptop - Win10 - 16GB Ram - NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 980M - Intel® Core™ i7-6820HK

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 04:47:04
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 04:47:04