Product Chat / considering purchase [help]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
hi i'm new here and saw the big sale on steam, over the past 2 weeks or so i thought wouldnt it be cool if i could make my idea into a game world. I asked on the steam forum what would be the best software to get my idea from my mind and into reality, the few replies all said blender + unity 5?!? I then looked up some video for blender and unity 5 and instantly saw that it was way beyond my skill level, my skill level being 0... I want to make an underwater city much like the game Bioshock, with windows that can look out into the water, rooms populated with old 1930s & 1940s assets such as furniture, phones, lights, etc. Is this something that GameGuru can do? Thanks for your help.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi shotgunsuzie

Yes GameGuru could do something very similar to this and it would not be to difficult one you grasp the basics ..
Although actually walking underwater is not possible yet without Dying if your inside the building then the exterior out of the windows can be faked to make it look like you are under water as the video shows below. 1930s & 1940s assets such as furniture, phones, lights would not be a problem as there are hundreds of assets available from the store or lots of help from the community if you need models created ...
Right now is a Great time to buy and with so much more coming early 2016 it sounds like GameGuru is what your looking for ..

The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2015 10:20 Edited at: 1st Dec 2015 03:02
Interiors are where GG still needs some improvements on.

EDIT: the latest screenshots from the dev blog shows some very good looking interiors:
https://www.game-guru.com/devblog/
i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce 420 GT
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2015 11:39
You will also need to source the game assets for your underwater world as GameGuru only ships with a basic array of objects to get you started and learning the craft of game making. If you do not have access to your own artist, you will need to browse the various asset stores out there to find the graphics and style you are after. Game making can be a long journey, but it's worth it
PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

TazMan
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2015 09:35
Not forgetting that if the assets are not out there at the moment, there are plenty of artists who are willing to create what ever you want. Good luck on your game making and have fun.
HP Pavilion Laptop, AMD A8-4555M APU with Radeon(tm) Graphics HD Graphics 1.6GHz, 8GB Memory, 64 Bit Operating System (Windows 10), 1 TB Hard Drive.

I've got something to say - It's better to burn out than fade away.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2015 03:39
That is true. There are actually many artists in the forum that will gladly work on assets for free.

If you want some quality work that you dont mind purchasing through the store, that isn't currently in the store, you can make a request here in the link below. All the artist that produce content for the store, will generally start working on the latest requested media:

https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/210007
i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce 420 GT
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
Man, it's already amazing! It started off a bit lame but it's gone from strength to strength. So flexible - if you know absolutely no coding you can still create something very impressive, if you know a little Lua you can do some unique stuff, if you know a lot of Lua you can do almost anything! And I assure you, Lua isn't too hard. I bought a book on Lua which was probably a mistake because it was daunting. All you need to do is look at the GameGuru scripts (especially global.lua) and experiment. Some of the Twitch broadcasts also teach Lua. A few months ago I knew almost nothing about Lua but now I'm using it to make vehicles go crazy on the motorway, drones fly on mars, and much more! I'm still just scratching the surface but I've been having a ball!

If you don't feel like coding there are lots of generous people in the community who would like to help you to create whatever your imagination comes up with. But I must say learning Lua certainly gives you a lot more space to unleash your ideas.

Don't be daunted. in the beginning you will have great fun using Game Guru without learning a single line of code. But the option is always there, if you feel like it, to explore the world of coding.
Julian
PM
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2015 05:29 Edited at: 5th Dec 2015 05:35
I love the above 'under water' video - very atmospheric. However, mine is genuinely underwater and uses a very basic Lua script:

I know it's ridiculous to say 'genuinely underwater' when talking about a computer game but you know what I mean.
Julian
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 09:03:41
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 09:03:41