Product Chat / Don't we love meaningful messages "an unnamed file contains an invalid path"

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2015 22:28 Edited at: 21st Nov 2015 22:31

Which was caused by missing files in levelbank.

I know this because I deleted them.
Why would I do that you may ask.

Well I noticed that if you verify game guru files it always says at least 7 files failed to verify.
You can confirm this yourself by
1) verify the files so you know everything up to date.
2) running Game guru and exiting with out doing anything.
3) verifying the files again and you find will find 7 files fail to verify, 5 of which are in levelbank/testmap

I thought I would pass on my observations.

Also I wanted to express my feelings that it would be nice if just running the program didn't make steam think it needed to download fresh files.
And that helpful error messages would be; well helpful.

R.
CPU:i7-4720HQ Mem: 16G
Graphic: GTX 980M 8G and intel HD4600

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2015 15:54 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2015 15:54
Could you provide a step by step on how I create a specific game standalone, which files to then delete manually so I can get the same error message. I can then make the message a lot friendlier
PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

TazMan
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2015 09:30
I have come across these when I have stepped in to fix a particular part of a system. It seemed to me then that the programmer that was writing that part was so over tired that they couldn't think what to put but also could't leave it.

It seems it happens everywhere, not suprising though, the hours you guys must have been putting in.

Very funny
HP Pavilion Laptop, AMD A8-4555M APU with Radeon(tm) Graphics HD Graphics 1.6GHz, 8GB Memory, 64 Bit Operating System (Windows 10), 1 TB Hard Drive.

I've got something to say - It's better to burn out than fade away.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2015 12:23
I think that specific error was a Windows OS error prompt. I have scanned GameGuru error strings and can confirm I did not dream up the idea of reporting an unnamed file at an unknown location I would need a step by step to find this OS prompt and squash it.
PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

Ratall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2015 16:23
Lee
I did say How this happened in the original Post.

I was curious about why at least 7 files always had to be replaced in the verify so I followed the steps in the original post.
Basically verified the files in steam
ran the editor and closed it with out doing anything
and ran the verify again.
both verifications showed 7 files failed to verify.

Having found the 5 of the files that were failing the verify were in the levelbank/testmap directory( a directory I thought contained temporary files the were recreated whenever you ran GG).

I decide to test my theory that the files would be automatically recreated by deleting them and running the editor.
That was when I got the error. I expected the system to rebuild the files as it does in a standalone or at very least say "these files are corrupt or missing"

The error message is less concerning than the fact that as things stands a verification with out errors will only happen if you have not used the software!!

I though I was clear in explaining how I got the message in the first post. I am sorry that I was not and hope that I have now clarified things.

R.

ps
i did forget to mention that gg hangs on the error message and you have to kill both bits in task manager.
CPU:i7-4720HQ Mem: 16G
Graphic: GTX 980M 8G and intel HD4600
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 17:59:35
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 17:59:35