Product Chat / Water - setting height

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2015 17:50
Hi! I am using GG v1.1 and I can't find any slider or ini file for setting the water level.

I can get water by lowering my terrain but this is not practical in the case of the game I am trying to make.

How can I raise the water level?
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2015 17:56
This feature to change the water height is not implemented yet. It is on the voting feature and you can see where it is on the results today.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Scurvy Lobster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2015 18:20
Ok, I wasn't aware of that - have to rethink my game design then
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2015 00:27
I don't know exactly what you're going for, but you could lower the terrain!
MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2015 16:06
Water at different heights, this is something we need
Think about small lakes in the mountain area
Old school FPS fan, DOOM!!! Why GG not working on my AMIGA 500?
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2015 16:13
Quote: "Water at different heights, this is something we need "

That would be nice! I believe it's coming, though, I would assume some time after the direct x update. I think it's one of those features that really won't take much time to implement vs. the complete rewrite of the engine.
MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes I think as features get added water will suddenly pop to the top and other features that users think they want will suddenly drop and take a lower position...I think the voting system will cause a natural progression of what makes sense to implement next..
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
PhilRogers
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, I'm really new to GG (less than a week), but I'm already loving it.

I have a question about water, also.

As an experiment, I started with a flat terrain and carved down into it to get a river. Worked just fine.

Then I started with a new random terrain because I liked the rolling hills that it gave me. I had to dig really deep to get to water, so my river is in a very deep, steep-sided canyon, which is not what I'm looking for in this instance.
Ideally, I would like to raise the water level (just as Scurvy Lobster originally posted). As that is not currently possible, I wondered whether it is possible to sink the level of the entire random terrain by a constant amount. Basically, I want to keep the terrain just as it is, but lower it to just above the water level.
Is this possible?

Using the sculpt tool to do the entire terrain will take forever, and I'll end up with flying trees which I'll have to re-plant back on the ground, and there's hundreds of them.

If anyone is interested, I create projected backdrops for scenery for a stage school's plays, and I am looking at using GG to do this.
Our play next summer is Into The Woods, and using GG to spray trees onto a terrain, I'm creating a forest from which I can take images or videos very quickly.
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2015 13:20
Quote: "whether it is possible to sink the level of the entire random terrain by a constant amount. Basically, I want to keep the terrain just as it is, but lower it to just above the water level.
Is this possible?
"

Not at this time. BTW, the random terrain is currently hosed up. Welcome aboard!
PM
yrkoon
Years of Service
User Offline
@PhilRogers, it IS possible right now for "empty terrains", i.e. maps WITHOUT entities, but it is only possible outside of GG - please see my thread "Making some Progress on Heightmap PostProcessing" in the "3rd Party Software" Forum, where proof is given.

I have information available now how to lower the positions of entities according to changes of terrain height,
but it has not been implemented yet, since I was caught up releasing a demo of another external tool for GG.
It should not be too hard to implement the height adaption for entities/instances, but it is unclear how precise
this can be effected. Stay tuned (in the "Making some Progress on Heightmap PostProcessing").

Since the map format release remained the same with the big jump to GG totally converted to be written in C++,
(good move, TGC!) I will continue development of the heightmap post processor, if more people show interest in such a tool.

(As you might guess, I'm not associated with TGC in any way other than also being a user of GG, so, I'm somewhat
dependant on their willingness to supply format change information at the very least. )

It is also clear that an external tool is only the second best way to achieve the goal, but if it works, it may keep users satisfied while TGC may use their precious time for even more important activities on the GG product, and later come up with an integrated solution (ist already envisaged to import external heightmaps , as Lee announced.).

On the other hand, you usually don't change the terrain height of your maps every 10 minutes, so, calling an external tool
is still ok, I think, at least, as long as there is no native way in GG to do that.

Lives of great men all remind us we may make our lives sublime
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2015 17:25
I think some way to easily change the water table height both in the editor, and dynamically via LUA scripting is in order. This just made my short list, easy enough to do and the benefits are clear (and lots of requests for this one too)
PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 03:11:37
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 03:11:37