Product Chat / Need help with water

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
hello is there a way to set up the water as when you go under you won't die for being under so you can swim under water for a wile if you can let me know what I can do or if you have picks to show it let me know.
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2015 14:50
Till the swimming module goes In, from the voting features. All you can do is prolong your death for a bit.

In the start marker properties set your health high 100000, set your Regen amount to 1500, set the Regen delay to 1000.

Play with these setting till you can get under water for a little while. You won't be able to stay under water all game.

There is a script and hud that simulates under water, but the player hud does not have the swimming animations. I will have to hunt it downdown.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2015 16:42
ok, found the link to the thread. But only shows you what they accomplished.Huds and lua scripting to get this done.
https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/212676
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

N1warhead
Years of Service
User Offline
Is he really under the water or is that just some effect (Fog and Depth of field) to make it (appear) to be under the water?
8 Core AMD 5.0Ghz
8 Gigs Ram
Gfx Card - Radeon R9 290 4 Gigs.
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2015 17:16
Just a hud and fog usage. not under water at all.

N1warhead
Years of Service
User Offline
Ahh okay. Well if that's the case, why don't someone just use a Water Plane and make a nice water shader for it? That way you can have water where ever you want, if that's not already available I guess I'll make that my first project as soon as I get to understanding lua better. Even though it's mainly Shaders, so I suppose I'll make a Shader and slap it on a plane.
8 Core AMD 5.0Ghz
8 Gigs Ram
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2015 17:32
I have tried the water shader on objects, and it does not mix right with how it is called. I have also tried this with the weapons shader to try and get a reflection as in the rifle scope. Neither one work proper like it existing application. (hard coded right now)

Some of the older classic shaders work in GameGuru for the moment, and some are modified from the metro theater pack from classic. The entity shaders and the sprite walker shaders. If you have these then the texture requirement is explained in the headers of the shader files.

N1warhead
Years of Service
User Offline
May need to do like Unity does an use Cube Maps and/or reflection probes.

I'll take an attempt at it here eventually (when I finally do I will let you know) and will post results on forum.
Give me some time though I haven't used GG for more than testing demos for now.
(Working on my Unity product right now), fixing to be done here shortly.

So maybe I can get a different result than you did.
That's not to say I will, but can't hurt to at least attempt it lol.
8 Core AMD 5.0Ghz
8 Gigs Ram
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2015 17:55
Yes there is a cube map in the rifle folder.

N1warhead
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah okay. What exactly was the issue you was getting?
Sorry I'm not trying to tell you how to do your job. Just trying to find out what happened.
So If I produce the same results I know it's what happened.

Could it be a possible be a Z Buffer issue?
8 Core AMD 5.0Ghz
8 Gigs Ram
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2015 19:00
Hard to say, there are a few things that the pipeline is still hard coded. So it is trial and error as to what can be changed. But once I find out what is still hard coded, I pass it on to you guys, so your not beating your head against a wall for a week getting frustrated.

N1warhead
Years of Service
User Offline
Hehe yeah I hear what you mean on that.

Why don't y'all un-hard code it lol?
Just seems like it can bring a lot more options to make most things aside from just essential things like Rendering to be made via scripting.

is this in even thought about in the future? Do y'all sell/give away the source code? Because I'd really like to be apart of making some remarkable stuff with y'all.
8 Core AMD 5.0Ghz
8 Gigs Ram
PM
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2015 22:00 Edited at: 20th Nov 2015 22:02
N1warhead, should put water to full on the voting system, i have and when it does come it will be awesome. alas i fear 2017 before i see it implemented, so my game wont be coming out anytime soon unless we all vote for the water system to be put top of the list. not open source, and it will be put into the engine when enough people vote for it. just a lot more things wanted before water
an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
N1warhead
Years of Service
User Offline
I think I voted, not sure, I just adjusted some slider things. But I'm still going to attempt to make it my self.
I believe I just finished my Unity product I'm making (one of them). Seems to all be going good. If that's the case, I'll try to start working on water tomorrow.

Not sure if Shaders work the same in GG as they do unity. E.G. > Make the Shader, then make a SCRIPT that Changes Shader Values.
If so, then good to go.

I mean I totally believe what Pirate Myke said. But I won't settle until i can at least try it my self.
Granted even if I do get it to work. This is my main sole business that feeds my family. It's not gonna be 50 bucks or anything, but it certainly wont be 1 dollar either.

Now maybe an Ocean Shader would be like 50 bucks. But not for simple water.
But I'll give it a shot. I mean I believe what Pirate Myke said. But nobody is perfect, may have missed something or just plainly did it wrong.
(Not Doubting you Pirate Myke) lol. I just like to give things a shot.

I've been in game dev for nearly 20 years now. There's a reason I keep sticking around - I love a challenge, and I just enjoy it. Heck I work 16 hours a day every single day without a day off programming and making products - I literally have no life outside of work lol.

But I did the slider vote things, but I'm still gonna attempt to make the majority of things my self. And heck, if TGC likes what I do, they can outright buy the rights to everything I make and use it officially. Not sure if they do business like that. But hey - the offer is open haha.
8 Core AMD 4.0Ghz
8 Gigs Ram
PM
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2015 00:53 Edited at: 21st Nov 2015 02:15
Here's a little workaround I made. It's not perfect but it seems to work OK. And to think only a few weeks ago Lua was a complete mystery to me...

Just attach the script to a trigger zone.

https://youtu.be/

The trouble with the above is it seems to remain active fall all water. I have written another script (below) which will be more suitable for some situations. Again, it's just a workaround and not perfect:

Julian
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2015 09:22 Edited at: 21st Nov 2015 14:23
Quote: "alas i fear 2017 before i see it implemented"

I see most of the features added in 2016 ..... Some of the features may only take Lee a couple of days .... he may do 2 or 3 at a time if they are small and easily implemented ... The C++ and DX11was and is a Huge task .... Don't compare that to the time it will take to Knock some of those features off the board
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
N1warhead
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree with synchromesh - Changing things like that is a big task, depending on team size doing it, that's a big task.
I keep noticing everyone saying "Lee" so I'm assuming it's only him building this engine? Which if it is - great! Love to see one person
be able to do all this.

One thing I agree with though with Unity is, I believe GG should be as open as Unity. Meaning - to change (code) things to be anything you want, not be limited to hardcoded things.
That would give GG more of a client base if you ask me.

Like can we even make our own Image Effects? (SSRR,SSAO,etc)? Or is this the stuff that is limited to only HardCoded features?
Just like the water - it's hard coded. It should have been made originally to be a plane you can slab anywhere and scale to the size of your choice.
That way you're not double rendering everything with the water reflections.

That's just my opinion and it's just only that - an opinion.
It won't stop me from using GG, but it won't either be my primary engine of choice until features will be more opened up for the general public.
Which don't take me wrong, I like GG so far. I understand it's still practically a new engine and all so it still of course has work to get done.
So I don't hate GG or anything. But there's really a lot we as developers in general can learn from watching how other engines work.
Unreal or Unity or even GM. They all have their pros and cons, but the main pro they all seem to share together is - they all allow for the user
of making or changing practically anything you want via script/shader/imageeffect. There is no really hard-coded forced to use things in them.

Sorry if I got anyone mad (I wasn't trying too). Only just trying to state that we should be allowed to get things like this implemented on our own and not have to wait for it.
8 Core AMD 4.0Ghz
8 Gigs Ram
PM
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2015 15:09
we shall see, i was told most features would be in by now. a year ago. etc. my point is optimism is great but after 3 years waiting for a lot of basics still, i can occasionally throw a more probable aim. no offence meant. i like optimism and they have done plenty with the engine. but i will put a wager on with you synchromesh....

if by 2016 dec 30th all the items on the list at this moment are fully completed i will happily put 100 pounds into your pocket. do you accept?

a good meant in a sportsman way bet. but if not you give me a hundred pounds? i will happily put 100 pound in tgc account to float. add a bit of spice for the year and give tgc a challenge.. unless not allowed to of course
an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
@Science Boy

Quote: "I see most of the features added in 2016"

LOL... I did say most of the features certainly not all ...Also there are a lot of features that I have no interest in ....
Motorbikes , slide, turrets or gridlines etc ...Not for me and not worth gambling on

But I do see main features like Level editor Third person for all characters, menu editing, water planes, swimming bots on all levels ..
basically all those common big ones we want that really prevent us from making things we want to do right now.
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
In the meantime would my workaround suffice? By the way, I'm a complete Lua novice so if you can suggest any improvements to my scripts I would be grateful.
Julian
PM
N1warhead
Years of Service
User Offline
It depends if that's what you want. It's your game bro. If you think it's worthy enough to be part of your game, then it is fine.
Now if you think it's just 'Ok' then I'd try to figure something else out.

I'll see what I can do about Water prefabs, but as mentioned above, I may not be able to do it, but if I can - then I'll post on the store.
8 Core AMD 4.0Ghz
8 Gigs Ram
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2015 17:52 Edited at: 21st Nov 2015 17:55
@ lordjulian. Your video is not exactly obvious as of what it is doing. I assume you are setting the player health to be above 0 when in a zone, regardless of whether water is there or not. If so, yes that is a decent workaround and what I would have done. If not, then it still seems to work and so is still a viable workaround Many people seem terrified by using Lua, yet as you say, it's fairly easy to add basic scripts in to make what seemed impossible to be perfectly feasible. Glad you have got into lua and are finding the massive advantages it gives for all sorts of ideas I'm sure you agree, adding lua commands to GG will ultimately give it the ability to make some great games!

Edit - You could of course change the ambience etc when underwater to give a better effect. Ultimately what TGC will do when implementing better water effects, but possible with lua at present (to some degree).

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2015 23:46 Edited at: 21st Nov 2015 23:47
Waiting for this feature still. As its a component in a game im working on with GG.
i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce 420 GT
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, all. Yes, indeed, Dvader; my script is attempting to stop player health dropping. Thanks for the advice on adjusting ambience levels - I will see if they are in the global script. You're right: knowing a bit of Lua certainly gives you more options. I only know a little but it's already been very useful. AnthonyWYD, thanks for inspiring me to practice my fledgling Lua skills on this one.
Julian
PM
N1warhead
Years of Service
User Offline
Pirate Myke was the issue you was getting with the water prefab is the texture looks like a bunch of huge squares?
I had them animating (flowing water). But just the texture its self was blocky. (Almost as if it wasn't reading UV Mapping)) so as if it was stretched beyond belief.

If this is the same issue you was having please let me know.
8 Core AMD 4.0Ghz
8 Gigs Ram
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2015 05:13 Edited at: 22nd Nov 2015 05:29
This is what I get when I assign the water_basic.fx shader to a cube.

Let me dig around for another shader that I have around that might be better for this.

Here is another work around in this thread.
https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/212496

And this thread here probably the best for puddles and streams and lakes.
https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/208644

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 16:28:58
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 16:28:58