Free Models and Media / Where is disappearing the free models contributors ?!?

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2015 22:58 Edited at: 24th Oct 2015 23:06
I am very disappointed with this free community model contributors.
For a long time I've noticed that not even one of those who posted free models here, is no longer posting anything.
They gave up helping for free the community and moved on at doing business, at paid models,
and thus not helping the community any longer.
I understand that you can not live on air and it takes money, but even more,
give a sign of life here to help people with fewer skills in model creators...
Thanks !
Smile today, tomorrow could be worse

http://bestradiolarry.ro/fps/

"The best forum, game software, operating system or web platform, it's that software which can give you most of the features and speed, not just amazing graphics."
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2015 23:07
I think Larry, that you will find that some of the model formats for assets are going to be changing, It is a lot of work updating all the media that one makes to keep it with the current standards.

One of the reasons I am not making and posting new media. I believe that most are waiting for the upgrade to see what they will have to do to keep there existing models working for the community, and see what other possibilities they will be able to make.

I still see free models being added weekly to the free media threads. I think you will see more media in the summer as more people are out of school and have a little more free time.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Old Larry
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2015 23:22 Edited at: 24th Oct 2015 23:25
Thanks for you answer me
I understand that, but the https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/213401 is still without an answer
for a long time ago...
P.S. I answer as a "telegraphic" words, because my English language it's not so good, and please sorry for that.
Smile today, tomorrow could be worse

http://bestradiolarry.ro/fps/

"The best forum, game software, operating system or web platform, it's that software which can give you most of the features and speed, not just amazing graphics."
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2015 00:00 Edited at: 25th Oct 2015 00:32
Quote: "I understand that, but the https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/213401 is still without an answer"

I thought you had a pretty good response with users pointing you to free assets ?
Personally I think the Community is very Generous in its free contributions and very active ..
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2015 03:00 Edited at: 25th Oct 2015 03:07
When is a community a community?
There are perhaps 20 or so users who post regularly on the forums, I suspect there may be a couple hundred who visit but never post much at all. The longer between updates the less posts are made, this is across all boards, you will see a surge when any new update is released. Activity is dependent on keeping interest and giving users something to work with. At the moment there is very little activity with GG as we all wait for something to happen but no idea what is going to change as far as media is concerned.....particularly with the a dx11 update. Bottom line the forums are crawling to a standstill.

As for free media it is nothing new for an artist to feel they are wasting their time when so few say thanks for anything they give away, after all, what else does the community have to give in return for any generosity. The script board seems to be very active with free scripts and advice, which is probably a swing towards those who code having an interest in software which is drag and drop media.I also notice on the scrIpts board that they don't accept requests and you wont get anything till you show you have at least tried yourself first.
I don't see why artists should step up and throw it out there for free and playing the 'community' card won't make it happen unless there is a community to be seen that actively supports those who do so. It also appears that many are finding it very difficult to get their models into GG which to be honest is no more difficult than it was to get it into FPSC.
Mostly free stuff will come from those newer to modeling and hobbyists as they learn their skills. Expecting high quality free media from artists who have spent years in it and continue to learn as they go is not really expected. We got a living to earn and modeling something decent takes a lot of skill.

Personally I used to give away a lot of free media but stopped after realising it was a thankless task and now only give out the occasional freebie, usually a prototype of something I just have an interest in creating. Maybe it will pick up around xmas for you with an influx of new users and new modelers who aren't as jaded as those of us around now
HarryWever
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2015 08:50
Hi Larry,

Sometimes there are also other things that need attension
and sometimes i don't see every post on the forum. overlooked ...
Then sometimes i got some request by pm, and you can ask around here , i also do that for free.

So i am not dissappearing, its sometimes busy with all kind of stuff, and my own stuff
and i have to agree with rolfy on this one:

Quote: " feel they are wasting their time when so few say thanks for anything they give away, after all, what else does the community have to give in return for any generosity"

sometimes really a shame

Quote: "give a sign of life here to help people with fewer skills in model creators... Thanks ! "

Quote: "but the https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/213401 is still without an answer"

I am Always willing to help, but at my own pace..

Harry
Harry
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree with rolfy, its because GG is kinda at a stand still right now, hopefully it'll pick up again after Xmas.

There's still a lot of free or cheap media here though (either from the forums, the store or GG models) and as such for my ideas I haven't had to look around the internet at all for models yet.

@Harry I'm sure nobody is talking about you not offering enough, you do a great job!
life\'s one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2015 11:37
I have given away the odd model but not many. Most of the problem is finding time to do it, I work full time and have a young family and working on your own game takes time.

If I had lots of free time I would do it , I still try to help out members if I can.

PC - Windows 7 64bit, Intel i5, 12Gb Ram, 1TB WD Black, Evga Gefore 760gtx 2GB
Laptop - Windows 10 64 Bit, Core i7-3632QM processor, 8GB of RAM, 1Tb Hdd, Nvidia Geforce GT 740m
PM
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 25th Oct 2015 12:18
Given the time creating a decent model takes (even for an expert) I'm astonished at the number of generous people who give away some of their work for free.

Those people who actually accept bespoke/custom requests and then deliver nice models for free are especially amazing.

nuncio
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2015 19:40
i am very thankful for every single free gift you give away! i think it is a lot of work and when i have to wait long for a requested item i accept this because i can give nothing back but thanks for the work. i have already received a lot of help and free gifts here so i can not complain at all. i have a guilty feeling for taking all of this and giving nothing back to this wonderful community. i will soon do something for you, i'm working on some sound files i want to share as a little thank you for all the help but i'm not finished yet.
http://www.nuncio-rap.de
intel core i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz; 8GB RAM // NVIDIA GeForce GTX560Ti
grobyken
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2015 14:45
I have personally given away about a hundred free models and that has resulted in several thousand downloads. Like Rolfy I am sometimes a bit down at the amount of people that thank me and often find that those that do are usually other model makers.

Probably like many other artists here I will move away from too many freebies when the new GG is released as I understand we can begin to put together more complex models as DX11 ETC increases fps. That is not to say that unnecessarily complex models need to be made that just eat frame rate when they are say distant building that the player will never get near ETC. As a programmer by profession I have to say its about correct usage of available computer processing time and power that wins the day.

On that note can I give a hint. Whatever system you develop your game on please test it downwards (on lower spec machines) so that you are able to release it with informed and correct minimum specs required. Your customers will love you for it.
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2015 19:25
Here we are fortunate to have a great community, with great knowledge and generousity. they do not hesitate to share with us all. I give my thanks to all of them.

Some changes will be affecting how to design models, and some will have to adapt to these new changes, to ensure they are 100% compatible with GG.

Changes related to the implementation of LOD in models, will be indispensable.
This will increase the working time and knowledge needed, so perhaps also raise prices, who knows ?

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
AceRimmer
Reviewed GameGuru on Steam
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: classic British heavy metal mostly
Posted: 14th Nov 2015 22:15
I've been very happy with (and grateful for) the models that people have made free.
considering how much I have had for free, it made the decision to buy entities and packs less of a decision, so hopefully the people who made free items also got sales out of them.

Grobyken:
Hope you get some satisfaction from the number of downloads, I don't think it is because people are ungrateful.
I don't often add my thanks to posts if others have already done so, although I do try every now and then to add a thank you here and there.
I'm sure almost everybody here really does appreciate the free items. I think people don't like cluttering up the forums.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 17:45:27
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 17:45:27