Product Chat / Pure Space !!!...Looking for the best settings!

Author
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2015 02:26
I'm looking for the right space setting's! I'm trying to do a deep space thing making (tweaking) my own skybox and tweaking a space terrain! Everything looks good up close but from a distance not to great! So what works best?

Skybox with no ground plane?

Fog helps,FOV,surface level,motion blure,contrast.....anybody?

I have tried to render the terrain as opaque....Not working for me but if anybody knows a way I'll take what I can get!

I have read threads and see tweaks in setup.fpi.....

is there a way to remove terrain entirely so it's nothing but sky box????

Hmmmm.....here's where I'm at!

let me know...thanks

Processor: Intel(R) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz 2.40 GHz Installed memory (RAM): 16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable) System type: 64-bit Operating System,x64-based processor

Start the day by righting your wrongs then end you day right so you don't have to do it again tomorrow ...

sHn33Ky

Attachments

Login to view attachments
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
You can switch off terrain using a simple lua command HideTerrain(). There's a goindoors default script I think. You can also hide it in game using the options in f11 mode.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes really simple as DVader says ....

Place your start marker .... place a Trigger Zone .......select it ......select properties ...
Click the "Default.lua" field and browse to "goindoors.lua" when you step on the trigger it turns the terrain off ...
If you want this to happen as soon as the game starts then drag the trigger over the start marker.

Hope that helps
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
So, I'm back and feeling in a generous mood. The simplest way to do this via scripting is this.

Attach this script (save it as, hide_terrain.lua) to any non static object and it will hide the terrain. That should work, it hides the terrain once on init and does nothing else. You do not have to worry about a zone, just place the object within range. You don't have to worry about a range if you set it as always active. But for this, I would just have the item close when you spawn. Setting something to always active is resource heavy.

I normally do as above and give the answer in a basic form, but as it really is simple to do, thought I'd quickly throw up some code. You can set other features at the same time if you wish. Want to hide water? Add HideWater(); after hide terrain. This is a simple way to set up your game/level as you wish at the start.

On a side note, if you wanted to keep the terrain visible but transparent for some reason. You should create a new terrain texture and set the alpha to be opaque. Not an option in the IDE, it involves a paint package and a bit of time sussing the existing terrain format out. That way you should have a transparent terrain. Not tried to make one myself, but figure it must be possible.

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "On a side note, if you wanted to keep the terrain visible but transparent for some reason. You should create a new terrain texture and set the alpha to be opaque. Not an option in the IDE, it involves a paint package and a bit of time sussing the existing terrain format out. That way you should have a transparent terrain. Not tried to make one myself, but figure it must be possible."
Unfortunately the Alpha channel in the diffuse is used for specular in terrain textures.
ShN33Ky
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2015 02:40
Thanks so much!.....you guys are the best of TGC! I did do a star terrain using some of the DDs images from the space sky box and it looks really good up close but as you can see not so good from a distance! I'm trying to avoid using water reflect so as not to use unnecessary performance! Just trying to do-it-right

@Dvader & Sync....Thanks dudes !

@rolfy.....yup! I'm noticing that....luv ur work dude! and I need more steam punk

Hey....hope nobody's upset with me for giving them credit in my last game! again... Just trying to do-it-right

peace
sHn33Ky
Processor: Intel(R) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz 2.40 GHz Installed memory (RAM): 16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable) System type: 64-bit Operating System,x64-based processor

Start the day by righting your wrongs then end you day right so you don't have to do it again tomorrow ...

sHn33Ky
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Rolfy, ah, that would stop it from working for certain

@ShN33Ky, no problem. Glad to help. I'm not sure which game you refer to ? I'm sure no-one will be put out to be included in the credits, well unless the game is somehow offensive to them.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 15:35:50
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 15:35:50