Product Chat / The horizon on water

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 12th Oct 2015 22:55
Hello, i am making an island, and in the horizon between the water and the sky there's a weird line, there's a way to make it like it seems infinite with a cool horizon at the end?

Thanks
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2015 23:09
Have you massed with the fog setting in the metrics mode in test game? (tab tab)

You should be able to control it for what you need.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Brny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 13th Oct 2015 05:05
I'll try it today afternoon, thank you very much!
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2015 06:15
Yeah as Pirate Myke says you may want to play with the fog settings you can get some pretty awesome atmospheric effects. Its always a great way to hide anything in the distance like in completed terrain and such.
i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce 420 GT
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Also the depth of field setting but remember to set bloom to at least 1 to see any difference

And if your feeling confident, editingte sky box to show extra hills or something may give you the effect you're looking for.
life\'s one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
Brny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 13th Oct 2015 16:55 Edited at: 13th Oct 2015 17:15
Hi mates, i tried it with everything you told me and i think it doesent works.... because i wanna make a normal, just a normal island, but it fills near all the map, and you can go so much close to the horizon that you can perfectly see the corner there, is like wtf?, if the map were round, and a little bit highter, it would be perfect.

It's possible to have a round map on Game gurĂº?

I add some screenshots, so then you can apprecciate every detail.

Thanks for all the help, i really love that program and i want it to become a masterpiece to make my games...

So... any suggestion?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2015 17:16 Edited at: 13th Oct 2015 17:16
Well there is a script able way around this and a mesh illusion that could work for this.

In a model program you could make a round mesh with a texture on it, Maybe some hills as you want. I would not go to crazy at first, because this will take a bit to get used to.

Objective:
Import an object as a terrain facade, Sculpt the GameGur terrain to that, (for AI collision) Then turn off the terrain thru Lua script and you will have the appearance of AI walking on your terrain. Script in the scriptbank folder already, place it in a trigger zone and have the player walk thru it.

You can make the smaller then the real world. maybe 2000 unit diameter or 3000 unit diameter.

Then you are further from the skybox edge, the terrain and water planes are invisible but collision is there, and then the Fog should work better for you as you are away from the max distance.

Some clever plane blockers with a great texture should provide the rest of the illusion.

Hope that helps.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I mentioned this ages ago. The waters edge looks terrible, particularly the corners. Fog is not a very good option in all honesty, I find it overused in GG games myself and while it is ok, sometimes you just don't want, or even need, fog. TGC should provide a cube map that actually works with the water imo. That way you can make it less obvious.

Even if you make a much smaller island, the same problem exists. Fog can only hide so much, unless we all want really foggy worlds. I find myself when making an island, trying to mask the edge with other islands and such as much as possible. I do use fog often, but normally only in the far distance and rarely thick fog. When I have visited the seaside, it's been very rare that I couldn't see all the way to the horizon across the sea.

As said a simple skybox would probably help a lot.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2015 18:17 Edited at: 13th Oct 2015 18:18
hmm yh there is definitely still a line there that's hard to hide, i thought depth of field had an effect but it doesnt seem to change the water, must have been the land i was using.
an option to have circular skybox & fog would be nice (and fog that actually covers the top part of the sky)
life\'s one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
Brny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 18th Oct 2015 21:39 Edited at: 20th Oct 2015 19:50
Yeah, with the skybox it looks better... good
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 21:04:05