Product Chat / Is it possible to ride on a moving object like a boat?

Author
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: witcher 3
Posted: 4th Oct 2015 20:47
I wanted to make a level where you cruise down the river on the deck of a boat. I know how to make the boat move with a script but you have to turn the collision off to make the movement work which makes you fall through the boat. If you turn the collision on the boat wont move. So how would you get around this so you can actually ride it?
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2015 21:18
https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/212433

hth

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
mguy1122
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2015 00:22
I tried that script and did the instructions. The boat goes back and forth when I tried to jump on it but I still fall through. I turn the physics back on and I don't fall through but the script doesn't work. It's kind of the same problem I was having with the script I was using. I watched your video and it seemed to be working for you. Maybe it's my model ?
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
for that script you need to put the name of the boat into the ifused field (of the boat)
you may also want to increase the player range in the script above 80 (line 28 - if PlayerDist < 80 and state == 0 then)
life\'s one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
mguy1122
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2015 21:05 Edited at: 5th Oct 2015 21:11
I couldn't get my boat to work so I decided to test it out on a box. I still was able to walk through the box but the script activated and carried me a little ways. This is useful but not really what I'm trying to do. If any one here has played resistance 3 there's a boat section where the player is sailing down the river on the boat while aliens are jumping on and shooting you from the shoreline. you can walk freely around the Deck collecting ammo and health and shoot the enemy. I'm trying to do my own version of that but every way to get the boat to move by script makes it so you cant stand on it like a solid object.

This is what I'm trying to do on a smaller scale:

https://youtu.be/sQsgA5DevIE
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
seems ok to me

i also set the physics weight and friction to 1 for good measure but even leaving them at 100 doesnt seem to change anything
just adjust the angle and the speed etc - you'll likely want to write a whole new script but this is the basic principle.
note the move up is just to compensate for the slight sinking i had when i got on it, you should probably play around with it some to make sure it doesnt go too high (a basic if statement to check the height would do)
boat.lua
life\'s one big game

windows vista ultimate

mguy1122
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2015 00:32
thanks! This script seems to work! It does seem to need an extra line of code for the hight, It starts taking off into the air. One thing I noticed while I was playing around with it and looking at your video too is that when the boat is moving the player doesn't keep pace with it, you have to keep walking or you'll fall off. I'm not quite sure how to fix that, I'm still learning the basics of lua.
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2015 04:23
The ability to parent one object to another temporarily would really come in handy here!
MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
nuncio
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2015 09:36
wow great. i can really use this for my game. i want the player to stand on a boat while driving and shooting bad guys. when i get to this point i will have some more questions. but later... thanks for this!
http://www.nuncio-rap.de
intel core i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz; 8GB RAM // NVIDIA GeForce GTX560Ti
nuncio
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2015 22:34
it does not work for me. the boat is swimming sideways and when is et the player start on the boat i fall into the water when the boat starts, i get shoved off the boat
http://www.nuncio-rap.de
intel core i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz; 8GB RAM // NVIDIA GeForce GTX560Ti
Old Larry
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2015 14:29 Edited at: 26th Oct 2015 14:31
Work for me but I have one big problem:
The player lose 70% of hes ground position and hes body is in the water. Could be compensate this position ?
Smile today, tomorrow could be worse

http://bestradiolarry.ro/fps/

"The best forum, game software, operating system or web platform, it's that software which can give you most of the features and speed, not just amazing graphics."

Attachments

Login to view attachments
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2015 16:31 Edited at: 26th Oct 2015 21:10
your MoveUp() should be in the second part but it's merely a quick fix anyway
personally i would probably readjust the y height every 1/2 second or something

life\'s one big game

windows vista ultimate

Old Larry
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2015 16:45
With this new script I got one error message, view the attached picture please...

"The best forum, game software, operating system or web platform, it's that software which can give you most of the features and speed, not just amazing graphics."

Attachments

smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
sorry, obviously i got confused by the code that was alreay there, should work now
life\'s one big game

windows vista ultimate

Old Larry
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2015 22:47 Edited at: 26th Oct 2015 23:08
The real problem was on the geometry of the boat model: my first boat used model have "V" type under water part,
and to work fine the script was need to use some "plate boat" model, because the script
put the player at the "base" of the model high.
I found just 2 free models (for free account) at http://www.3dcadbrowser.com/info.aspx and
of course, I preferred the "Rescue Boat" model
P.S. today was some glitch or bad connection from me to you tube to I can put here some video example,
for now I will try again if this you tube platform work well again from my location.... "I'll be back"

Attachments

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2015 12:56
I have added an 'associate player with entity' to the internal feature list so solve the issue of players sliding off boats (and lifts, etc).
PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

Old Larry
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2015 14:52
Solved riding boat like I told you on my previous post. Watch the video below.
With the new GG v1.1 the speed of game (the fps's) increased , but just a little...

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2015 11:15
Now that's smegging awesome! Well done on a great game mission and production values. I think we have the multi-level enemy AI as number two on our community voting board so after that fix your enemies will be able to determine both floors on gantries and staircases and navigate them as easily as the player. Old Larry, it would be cool if you were part of that beta test so we can make sure your level works out of the box without any modification required. Also, if you have time, I would like to nab your level (and assets) so I can do some performance tests on my own system to see if there is something we can do to get you the performance increase we expected with V1.1.
PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

Old Larry
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2015 17:37
Many thank Lee, I work on it now on the final game wit this level (4 missions) to post in the "Free Game" section in "Off Topic".
Today I have some problems with my internet and my internet provider working on it (cables changed and other stuff).
I use now one usb modem until the net provider finish hes work. I will be back sooner as can

Old Larry
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2015 12:14 Edited at: 13th Dec 2015 14:48
I need help with this player transport script
Because at any new level loading the fly going to a different height,
and the player weapon can't be moved up or down when he's in that transport mode.
I've used this adapted script for escape with a helicopter:

I have no clue what is wrong in this script
Can do you help me please ? I need to got the same flying height or to I can move my weapon up-down,
and the player can shoot it the enemy placed on that church.
Thanks in advance.
Here is a short video example where you can see the different flying height at every level restart:

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2015 10:50
We have a new command on our immediate list called 'player associate' which will allow you to 'place' the player on a physics object, but leave all other controls free to use (for things like boats, platforms..and helicopters). I will however add the ability to 'lock' the player as an offset to an entity, which in turn can be moved, so your helicopter idea can be realised.
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

Old Larry
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2015 13:43
LeeBamber wrote: "We have a new command on our immediate list called 'player associate' which will allow you to 'place' the player on a physics object, but leave all other controls free to use (for things like boats, platforms..and helicopters). I will however add the ability to 'lock' the player as an offset to an entity, which in turn can be moved, so your helicopter idea can be realised."

Many thanks for answer me, Lee

3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2015 14:41
Quote: "We have a new command on our immediate list called 'player associate' which will allow you to 'place' the player on a physics object, but leave all other controls free to use (for things like boats, platforms..and helicopters). I will however add the ability to 'lock' the player as an offset to an entity, which in turn can be moved, so your helicopter idea can be realised."

Humm... Nice!

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
Mariokiki
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Lee,

Super command to make platforms also !!!

Nice !
PM
Mariokiki
Years of Service
User Offline
So, there is the "player associate" command ?
How to use it please ?
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2015 15:38
It will be included with the next update. So not yet.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Mariokiki
Years of Service
User Offline
Yessss !!
PM
MadLad Designs
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2015 17:55 Edited at: 15th Dec 2015 17:56
The 'player associate' command is something I've wanted to do my "on-the-rails" shooter.
Check out my YouTube Gaming Channel: /user/MadLadDesigns
W7 Home 64-bit, Intel i5-3330 quad-core 3.20GHz, nVidia GTX660 2Gb, 8Gb ram
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
Old Larry: Brilliant work there! You have a great and enviable talent. That level must have taken some work.
Julian
PM
Old Larry
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2015 08:04 Edited at: 16th Dec 2015 08:05
Thanks @lordjulian You will see this level at Free Game forum section in Off Topic sub forum.
I have just a little to work on it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 01:34:21
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 01:34:21