Product Chat / How to find an asset on the map?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 27th Sep 2015 11:42
So we have a small asset somewhere in our game world with a piece of code attached that has a small error in it. We need to take the code off it and indeed delete the asset but we can't find it as its hidden - does anyone have any tips for finding hidden assets?
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2015 13:27 Edited at: 27th Sep 2015 13:59
If you know the asset but are having trouble seeing it or getting to it you can use ( Clip Mode ) "Tab + ctrl+ scrl mouse " to see inside buildings etc then use the "lock" feature for any assets in the way so you can select and delete it ..... And not forgetting free flight mode to get right into buildings etc

If you have no idea which asset it is then its really down to trial and error but I usually have a fair idea of things I attach scripts to so I would just pick on those really ...

Myke just had another good idea .... You could build a standalone and run it just to start it, and the log will display which assets were used. You can at least then see what you have on your map in a text format ..
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
TazMan
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2015 14:02
I came across this once a while ago, I put a realy tiny object on the map and couldn't for the life of me remember where it was. I knew what it was so I took it out of the game folder before I loaded the game and then loaded the game. This effectively deleted the entity so that I could put it in again with a fixed script.

You will have to take the DirectX, fpe, dbo and bin files out to accomplish this but it does work.
HP Pavilion Laptop, AMD A8-4555M APU with Radeon(tm) Graphics HD Graphics 1.6GHz, 8GB Memory, 64 Bit Operating System (Windows 10), 1 TB Hard Drive.

I've got something to say - It's better to burn out than fade away.
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I came across this once a while ago, I put a realy tiny object on the map and couldn't for the life of me remember where it was. I knew what it was so I took it out of the game folder before I loaded the game and then loaded the game. This effectively deleted the entity so that I could put it in again with a fixed script."

if it's not too much of a pain to replace any duplicate models of the one causing the issue (if it's a not a tree in a forest etc) then this is by far the best method.

another option is to simply replace the broken script code with an "empty" script with the same name? (keep the function _main(e) _init(e) calls too)
life\'s one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, geforce gtx460, directx 11
TazMan
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2015 09:55
Thats a nice easy solution smallg, wish I had thought of that.
HP Pavilion Laptop, AMD A8-4555M APU with Radeon(tm) Graphics HD Graphics 1.6GHz, 8GB Memory, 64 Bit Operating System (Windows 10), 1 TB Hard Drive.

I've got something to say - It's better to burn out than fade away.
Saintyboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 28th Sep 2015 23:42
Some great ideas there guys - thanks for the input

Saint
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2015 06:15 Edited at: 30th Sep 2015 06:16
Its too bad GG has absolutely no way to search for an asset, that you can't find manually.
i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce 420 GT
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
The Inventory system is currently Number 8 on the voting list which is higher than I expected...
So its probably going to happen sooner than later ..
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Saintyboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 1st Oct 2015 00:56
As luck would have it Lee showed a workaround on how to do this in yesterdays Twitch broadcast - (in the Q&A at the end) - bit of a hack but nonetheless very workable and similar to Tazman and small's ideas.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 20:01:42
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 20:01:42