Product Chat / Are On-Rails Shooters Possible At The Moment..?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2015 22:22
Haven't looked at Lua very much, am planning on jumping into it at some point...

But as things stand now, is it possible to disable the movement keys and change the X and Y positions of the player to make a House Of The Dead/Ghost Squad/[insert name of any other popular on rails franchise here] style game..?

I'm jumping on the VR bandwagon as soon as I can, and haven't seen any on-rails games being made for the platform. A zombie/WWII/Wild West/Vietnam War game on-rails would be awesome and really suit being in VR-O-Vision.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2015 23:20
Hmm, We are getting close, need a few more commands for scripting I think. Being able to spawn hordes of Zombies, and some clever Limb detection which smallg has done already, for killing them, some more particles, Save Load and Bot climbing on everything and I think it could be a fun little project.

But for the environment, GameGuru can do all that.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

MadLad Designs
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2015 23:56
This was something I was looking into as well.
Check out my YouTube Gaming Channel: /user/MadLadDesigns
W7 Home 64-bit, Intel i5-3330 quad-core 3.20GHz, nVidia GTX660 2Gb, 8Gb ram
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
What are on-rail-shooter? I know rail shooters where the player have a path and you can look around. Is that what you mean, because this is not possible!
You can transporttoifused to an entity which can move on a rail, but you can not look around.
My dream is to develope games, which makes fun when I create it and fun when other people play it.
PM
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 22nd Sep 2015 18:50
You can use TransportToIfUsed and look around - a full 360 horizontal field of view is possible via mouselook whilst ' on rails' - but vertical looking/aiming movement (via mouse) is severely limited.

So for example you can lay way points out across a terrain of enemies, place a character on the path (with perhaps the 'civilian.lua' script or equivalent) then use a script to 'attach' the player to the moving character (using repeated TransportToIfUsed calls). The player/cam then follows the path the character is taking (up down hills whatever) and player can look around and fire weapon. If the targets are above/below the set height it becomes more tricky though (have to vary the offset of the entity to move up/down).

Cheers.
snowdog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2015 19:11
@Corno_1 By an on-rails shooter I'm referring to lightgun games such as House Of The Dead, CarnEvil, Ghost Squad etc.

Technically they're not on-rails shooters because 'proper' on-rails shooters are the likes of Space Harrier, Sin & Punishment etc where you have a ship or character controlled in third person.

But during these last 9 or 10 years most people associate lightgun games with the on-rails shooter genre.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 17:08:58
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 17:08:58