Product Chat / Step by step guide to importing weapons

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2015 23:02
It would REALLY help if there was documentation or if somebody could write a step-by-step walkthrough in getting a custom weapon in and working in GG, just like any other. I've spent the past few hours meddling around, I can only import the weapon as an entity but not equip or use it as a weapon.

I have the weapon ready exported as a .X, I have the HUD.x animated and exported already. All I need is the know-how in getting the weapon in and fully working.
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2015 23:54
LOL, I clicked on this thread thinking there might be a "Step by step guide to importing weapons"!

I did the old (FPSC Classic) crossbow into Reloaded some time back after messing with it over half a Saturday. It was functional for the most part, but I stopped for some reason. I was probably working too much and didn't have the time, I assume. I did a mediocre write-up on what I did in another thread, though. It's around here somewhere...
MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
Dralel
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2015 05:50
Anyone?
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2015 06:53
First thing is you need to choose which model program you are going to use. Then the procedures will depend on that program.
As far as a guide to all weapons importing, there are different types of weapons and they all need different rigs to perform this.

You will need to know how to model the weapon, then rig the weapon.

You will need a human skeleton with the eyes set at the 0,0,0 origin.

You will need a set of mesh arms to rig to the skeleton.

You will need to rig the weapons rig to the Human Skeleton after they are rigged and skinned.

You will need to animate the sequences (look at a gunspec.txt file for animation calls)

You will need to export the rigs into GameGuru, not thru the importer, but manually, Having the HUD.x file, textures, and gunspec.txt file in the folder.

You will then need to trial and error the gunspecs to fine tune the Huds position and alignment.

There is no easy way to get these in at this time if you are not familiar with the above processes for the specific model program you use.

Cant use Maya as it has no animated X file export. Most other will work. Fragmotion, 3d Max, Blender.

Hope this helps a bit.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
@Dralel

Can you pop up a video of what you have already achieved ...
If you have got far enough perhaps someone can help you get it finalised
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Dralel
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2015 13:57 Edited at: 8th Aug 2015 14:06
Thanks for the replies, but there's still more info needed really. What exact files go into which folders; what is the difference between entitybank and gamescore? Do my weapons go into the 'guns' folder or into 'user' > 'guns'? I replicated the Dagger weapon (in the fantasy pack) because I'm trying to get my own knife to work. I copied each file exactly, even copy and pasted the gunspec.txt and even the .fpe, and then renamed and edited them as appropriate, but that still doesn't work.

I can get my knife to appear as a regular model in the game world, but when I press E to pick it up it's as if I didn't pick anything up. The game world model disappears when I pick it up, but my HUD.x and all the other files don't appear at all. I'm probably going to need a video physically showing me how it's done, spent the past few days trying to get this one thing to work but I don't have the time in the day to keep trial and erroring.

Basically, as far as I can get, is having my model appear in the game world and it disappear when I press E, but my character's arms or anything do not.

I have everything correctly rigged, animated, even named the bones with the Bip names. I exported to .x with Blender, ticking all the neccessary options. It opens and works in Animer 2.2. They work as intended outside of GameGuru.

Also, one final edit, I opened up the Masked Soldier character in Animer and they don't have eyes set at the 0,0,0 origin? That's kind of confused me even more now lol

Just so you know, it's the HUD.x file I'm trying to get working. In other words the first person "arms" model I've made.
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2015 14:06 Edited at: 8th Aug 2015 14:09
I spent 2 weeks getting the first one with no info at all 6 years ago. And 6 weeks for the first character to work. So it will take time and determination, As you just cant switch the mesh without some rigging and reanimation.

The best thing to do is go into the gamecore/guns/medieval folder and duplicate one of the folders (Dagger) and rename it.
Change the contents in that folder to include your media. This is the easiest way to get it going after you get the HUD.x file remade.

All the required files are in that folder. the pick up weapon you have figured out, it appears.

Only the weapons rig is with the eyes at 0,0,0 The game camera for this is set there.

For Characters the feet are on the floor as normal.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Dralel
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2015 14:27
So I tried again twice, same result. I copied the Dagger weapon exactly, keeping everything, but just renaming it to my weapon. Same story, it appears in-game fine, but when I pick it up nothing appears not even the weapon sounds play, no crosshair or anything appears. Did I do something wrong in Blender? Cause I got Blender open, everything works, I made the hands appear so that they are right in front of the player's head even. I exported it again, it works in Animer, hell it even works when I choose 'Import Media' from the menu.

So so confused right now.
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2015 14:33 Edited at: 8th Aug 2015 14:34
I am not familiar with Blender as I use 3d Max for my modelling and animations.

Probably the most likely cause is the scale of the rig in Blender. The box that come up by default is 5cm squared.
So if the scene scale was not set, and you maybe thought this was meters of feet, might just be the issue, and you just not seeing it, because it is small.

Can you email me the hud.x file to the email address in the button below and I will look at it.

Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2015 14:35 Edited at: 8th Aug 2015 14:42
It should not work from import media that is not intended for animations at all yet.
And most likely will not set the FPE files and other files that are needed.

Dralel
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2015 14:58
Just sent the email with the Blender file.
PM
Inertia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2015 15:08
If you don't have it already, download Entity Workshop 2.0. It's free and works great for spotting scaling issues. Use the "FPSC Entity Import" button to bring in your .x file to see how large it will be in the Game Guru world. There is a mannequin button that you can toggle on to see how large your weapon would be as compared to a Game Guru NPC.
Windows 7 (x64) | i5-2500K @ 3.30 GHz | 4GB RAM | GTX580 1.5 GB
PM
Dralel
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2015 15:24
Sweet, I'll check out Entity Workshop 2.0 this evening!
PM
Dralel
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2015 23:22
I couldn't get my custom animations to import correctly into GameGuru, would appreciate some guidance as a Blender user.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 00:51:17
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 00:51:17