Product Chat / [TheGameCreators] Spatial Games for GameGuru ?

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2015 18:24
Hello everyone!

I have an idea for new interactions GameGuru: Space games

In fact, thanks to the view in the third person I tried to create a level with a ship.

Unfortunately there's 2 or 3 problems that block:

- The first is the texture of the vessel, although it appears in the editor but once the ship set is black

- The second problem concerns the maps itself; should be able to completely remove

- The last problem is that there is no option to cancel the physical player; if this option was possible we could move up and down without worry

For a little demo video here is a quick :

TheGameCreators: If you can include some special options in GameGuru as the complete removal of the field and the possibility of canceling the player's physical (start marker) this would make new type of game !

If someone is also an idea to solve the problems textures for third person I am available

PS: There is also a need for third-person spacecraft the "SPACE" key is used to move up and down the "CTRL" is down for example, and that's also a small problem that prevents to design this kind of game

Thank you in advance for your comments and ideas
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
superflatterrain= 2 in the Setup.ini removed the terrain totally if that's of any help ....
Not sure it works properly for third person though ...
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2015 21:41
Check out this thread and PM the OP. https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/212623

Between you two, you may have a big winner here.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Devcore35
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2015 22:32
Hi,

Thank you for your answers

The "flatterrain = 2" works fine however the ship flashes to infinity which is very annoying.

Not bad idea of the player by changing the flight JetPack but it will not work for third person.

By cons I have an idea: I would have to find a way to put a LUA script to the ship (player third person) that would modify the same keyboard behavior.
example:

Button W, S, A, D to move as before but if we maintain the right button of the mouse then you can go anywhere in the decorations (fly where we want) a bit like the view "View Fly" GameGuru in the editor!

Since TGC to already designed this I think it will be easy to implement in the engine ^^
It would be great and it will give new game world in the future
PM
!nullptr
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2015 00:30 Edited at: 6th Jul 2015 03:41
In my little tongue in cheek video I did yesterday (it was ) I was kinda pointing out a lot of these same issues.

Quote: "superflatterrain= 2 in the Setup.ini removed the terrain totally if that's of any help ...."

HideTerrain was the technique I used as suggested by Lee in a Steam thread that gave rise to my little bit of fun. Unfortunately the terrain still exists - as I demonstrated A full skybox kills the visuals no problem when HideTerrain() is used.

As OP says, the biggest limiter to making anything like this is max height. The amount of "flyable space" is almost nil (this has been revised - see further down). Where I reduced gravity and fall rate to simulate space then a puff on the jetpack and I was out of range. I actually had to use some gravity just to get some kind of "retro".

The other critical one is no ability to change gravity or fall rate dynamically so I can't simulate a propulsion set with jets attached to WASD. (This functionality is required to weigh down a player with heavy loads in more terra style games too!)

For mine, if I had unlimited height then I'm good to go with a 1st person space sim. It's in my head even as I speak. I'll add some neat simulated gravity from a "blackhole", asteroids for visual reference etc. and an asteroid hide & seek shoot-em up is on the board. My navmesh is as good as unlimited too. OP populates the store with a fleet of ships and... and.... and....
AKA SisterMatic (Steam)
Development/ Gaming Rigs
Sys 1: i7-4770 (3.5)/16Gb/128 SSD/3Tb/970gtx/2 x 23, 1 x 27 LCD - Sys 2: i7/8Gb/670gtx/1.5Tb/1 x 23 LCD - Sys 3: Amd Quad/8Gb/645gtx/1Tb/30" LCD
PM
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 6th Jul 2015 01:46
You can pretty much do this now using TransportToIfUsed rather than the jetpack. You can fly high and even 'off map'. See this old test from a few versions ago - the concept still works. If you calculate and place the player/cam behind the object, e.g. ship, you can simulate TPV too. I think one thing that has changed (haven't checked v3) is that TransportToIfUsed used to orientate the player to the 'front' of the object transported to - I think it stopped doing that.

!nullptr
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2015 02:04
I like how you did this but when you say you can fly high and off map you mean to infinity? Your video doesn't demonstrate that. I saw it go off map but it doesn't show me how far you can go off map.

If I used your technique and hidden terrain, with the height and off map as you're suggesting, then this is quite clearly how it could be done. (in 1st person anyway)

Did you hit limits?
AKA SisterMatic (Steam)
Development/ Gaming Rigs
Sys 1: i7-4770 (3.5)/16Gb/128 SSD/3Tb/970gtx/2 x 23, 1 x 27 LCD - Sys 2: i7/8Gb/670gtx/1.5Tb/1 x 23 LCD - Sys 3: Amd Quad/8Gb/645gtx/1Tb/30" LCD
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
@!nullptr

How exactly did you hide the terrain in your space demo ?
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
!nullptr
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2015 03:31
Quote: "How exactly did you hide the terrain in your space demo ?"

HideTerrain() - and the skybox was a "wrapround" which meant that looking down gave me stars. I mentioned some ideas to a thread at Steam to simulate space, Lee added those 2.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/266310/discussions/0/523890681414320108/

The thread was about lack of height on jetpacks - which is very true (and I wish I knew where we could change it) bu the "spacey" look intrigued me.

In answer to my own question about height limits, I'm currently 2km up (if units are 1 inch). My jump point is 340,000 units away and I'm still rising. Simply testing a jump with gravity 0.
AKA SisterMatic (Steam)
Development/ Gaming Rigs
PM
!nullptr
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2015 03:40
Continued testing has me at more than 4km "up" but I'm getting skybox glitching. (although it actually looks like I'm being hit by "cosmic radiation" lol)
AKA SisterMatic (Steam)
Development/ Gaming Rigs

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2015 16:16
As stated above, the solution will definitely be more LUA commands and the removal of some hard coded limits such as the edges of the terrain and the sky cap, and of course the removal of the clouds and anything else that relates to the standard genres we've added so far. With those changes made, the space game could effectively go in any direction and use LUA scripting for almost the entire game logic, as our path-finding AI would not be much use in space with no path to find.

ANNOUNCEMENT: Watch a game being made and ask GameGuru questions live on WED 8TH JULY at 6PM BST on Twitch at: http://www.twitch.tv/gamegurulee
PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 10:17:17
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 10:17:17