Product Chat / The Lee Bamber appreciation thread.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2015 05:53 Edited at: 5th Jul 2015 05:56
Ok,...I know for us early adopters, it's been a long wait, and after
nearly two and a half years of development we are still no nearer to
being able to make a game with this software, apart from single maps
of course.
On the other hand, I have to say I admire Mr Bambers dedication here,
...there have been some "not very nice" reviews on steam, but Mr
Bamber has always responded in a very positive way to these,..
something I probably could not do myself,..so all credit to him.

I guess it is very easy for us to criticize,...but we fail to
realize just how much work it takes to do something like this.

I remember many years ago I used to make maps for " Thief 2 The
Metal Age ",...if you are old enough to remember that game ?,....
I once spent 8 months making a single map,..and I did not get a
single penny for that,...I just did it for the love of the game,..
it was a thing called passion,...and when you have a passion for
something,...you just do it.

I get the feeling that TGC have a similar passion for what they
are doing now,...and I think TGC know they have to get it right
this time,...and I think they will.

So come on guys,..cut Mr B a bit of slack here, give the "poor lad"
a bit of encouragement,....a word of thanks goes a long way,
Thanks Mr B for what you have done so far,....and carry on sir.
PM
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2015 07:17 Edited at: 5th Jul 2015 10:16
OK first sorry for the wall that follows!

I have to say that I have not read any of the Steam reviews - I just stay away from Steam. The only time I have posted there was to give a positive review after reading one of Lee's posts about the negative stuff out there.

I am completely new to 3D game dev. I come from 2D dev (as a hobby) so I can't really compare 3D engines.

But I can share my 2 cents:

I originally started with 3D using an open source engine. However while the demo games that came with it were pretty awesome and the engine was well rounded out with features, I simply couldn't do anything with the editor without it crashing.

I have looked at other engines like Unity, but was not ready to spend a heap of time learning the basics (maybe someday).

Also if you check out the prices of assets on other sites you quickly find you really need to have some serious cash!

Now with GG, the editor - while not without its annoyances - is simply so easy to use, that the process is itself a fun experience. And it is as stable as a rock is hard! Then we have the Store, at the moment everything there is within reach of armatures and hobbyists, and I would hope the prices stay affordable like that.

The fact that a complete noob can download GG, and within half an hour see some cool results from their noobness speaks volumes. I can think of plenty of things this engine needs and I really think that given time (especially after the performance has been revamped), as more features get into this engine, TGC is really going to have a super unique piece of software!

What we need to do as a GG community, is create a GG community that really offers benefits to the engine itself.
How can we do that? Well here's a few I can think of:
Remember:
1) To keep encouraging the dev team to keep up the good work - Never give up! Never surrender!
2) That developing any piece of software - especially as complex as GG - takes time.

If you frequent the Steam forums:
1) When you read a negative review and feel you must respond, do what Lee does and answer in a positive way.
2) Forums like on Steam are often filled with posts fuelled by people who simply like to flame others. so for every negative post aimed at GG, it may be better to ignore it and post a positive one (or two) instead.

Support The Store:
1) 3D art is not simple stuff, and all that work takes time, effort, and skill - so lets support the artists! Like buy stuff!
2) I think it would be good if the whole GG community made it a goal to buy some assets at least each month or week if possible - even if you think you may only use it someday in the future. That will reward the artists for their hard work and encourage them to create more assets, and hopefully in turn keep the prices low.

So to end a rant:
I absolutely love GG, this is really a very cool piece of work. I will keep using GG, and eagerly look forward to many improvements and features in the future.

So its a big thumbs up to Lee and team from me. Keep up the great work!
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 @ 3,60GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 750. Acer 24" Monitors x 2 @ 1920 x 1080.
Windows 8.1 64-bit. Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit.
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I have my niggles with GG, but in the main it is shaping up to be a very useful game making tool. I don't see the graphics being a major problem (apart from having to drop settings because of speed issues), in fact I think they are very good overall. I find myself impressed fairly often still, and I use GG a lot.

Lee and Dave are doing a great job.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
!nullptr
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2015 14:07
There are days when GG just irks me something fierce. I curse, I swear and I lament... Then I spend 10 minutes in UE4, Unity or even CryEngine. They're all serious stuff requiring hard work, dedication and hours of tute work. Will I ever make a game in either of those 3? Mmmmm... maybe. One day. I reckon I have the skillset.

But GG is just so much damn fun and if fun was Lee's intention, it's done well. As long as people don't try too hard to make GG into something it's not...

Way I see it, this is meant to be enjoyed. 700+ hours and I still start it up nearly every day. Truth.
AKA SisterMatic (Steam)
Development/ Gaming Rigs
Sys 1: i7-4770 (3.5)/16Gb/128 SSD/3Tb/970gtx/2 x 23, 1 x 27 LCD - Sys 2: i7/8Gb/670gtx/1.5Tb/1 x 23 LCD - Sys 3: Amd Quad/8Gb/645gtx/1Tb/30" LCD
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2015 15:28
GG is a school, I learn a new thingh almost every time a play with.

Quote: "Lee and Dave are doing a great job. "

I agee!

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 8.1 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
vrg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2015 23:22
GG is the most simple and easy 3D gamecreator, you can create a game or a walkthrough in a minimum of time, unless some problems it is a great tool
MXS
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2015 03:17
guru is a great game engine and I will give it time to get all the features it need to feel like a compete engine. but our support for this engine is the key to seeing this be come a compete engine. I made the pledge and now backing it with my support.
more than what meets the eye.Welcome to SciFi Summer

Windows 7 home premium 64bit gtx770 sc acx 2gb gpu boost 2.0

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2015 13:50
Thanks for the great feedback and warm words. It's never a dull day working on GameGuru and I hope you get the features you have been waiting for soon. The new voting board will be live soon which will allow the entire community to vote up features that they want to see worked on next. Monday we started work on the performance of the engine and we have big plans to create some huge speed improvements which will hopefully be welcomed by those who did not explicitly request it. Having a fast engine is a good step towards a little more credibility in the game making space.
PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 09:13:49
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 09:13:49