Product Chat / for those who think guru is bad and you can't do no wrong with unity

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2015 05:46 Edited at: 4th Jul 2015 05:53

not to say this game is bad but the glitches in this game is and dropping frame rates. I'm not putting the game down but it come to show that even with a great engine like unity you can still make a game with lots of bugs. seeing stuff like this make me glad guru is here. this is just proof that no game engine is flawless, even if the graphic are better. it comes to show that a game engine is only as good as the developer that is using it.
more than what meets the eye.Welcome to SciFi Summer

Windows 7 home premium 64bit gtx770 sc acx 2gb gpu boost 2.0

Polaraul
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Speaking of which, whatever happened to the Slenderman that was supposed to be part of FPSCR? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tgc/fps-creator-reloaded under "Amazing New Character Models"
PM
Errant AI
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2015 08:31
Quote: "whatever happened to the Slenderman that was supposed to be part of FPSCR?"

The wiki pretty much sums it up...

Quote: "Despite his folkloric qualities, the Slender Man is not in the public domain. Several for-profit ventures involving the Slender Man have unequivocally acknowledged Knudsen as the creator of this fictional character, while others were civilly blocked from distribution (including the Kickstarter-funded film) after legal complaints from Knudsen and other sources.[5] Though Knudsen himself has given his personal blessing to a number of Slender Man-related projects, the issue is complicated by the fact that, while he is the character's creator, a third party holds the options to any adaptations into other media, including film and television. The identity of this option holder has not been made public.[5] Knudsen himself has argued that his enforcement of copyright has less to do with money than with artistic integrity: "I just want something amazing to come off it... something that's scary and disturbing and kinda different. I would hate for something to come out and just be kinda conventional.""
Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3, Intel Core i7 2600K (passmark 8555), 16GB Corsair DDR3, EVGA GTX 970 SC (passmark 8637), Win7 Pro 64-bit SP1, Primary monitor @ 1920x1080, secondary monitor @ 1024x1280
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
the door was the only bug i saw really.
i wouldnt say the graphics were any better (the texture clipping was really bad actually - if he had had a flashlight it would have been better)
but then this is mostly down to the models used - i would assume this was made by 1 person on a very low budget so it looks fine considering
(funny to see GG's soldiers used there though)

it was interesting to see the frame rate issues though, there wasn't exactly loads of models there but i still think GG would run even slower still in it's current form - it certainly needs a way of handling repeat models better so that a level like this would be much more possible.
life\'s one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, geforce gtx460, directx 11
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
There is far more media from GG in this than the soldiers. I recognize many, many items here off the store and of course default media. I imagine there is more media I don't recognise. Perhaps an old GG user who has imported the models into Unity? Apart from the ladders, there's not much here that wouldn't be possible in GG. In fact, until I saw the ladder work, I was convinced it was. I reckon it would be fairly easy to replicate it in GG with the media.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
MXS
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2015 04:15
just to make one thing clear I'm not picking on unity or guru. I'm just pointing out that you can have frame rate and bug problem in another engine just as much you would with guru. also the the main glitch I was talking about was how the model would go black at the side of the screen when he moves the player. also guru could handle a inside level like this without using terrain . now as far the graphic go if I was Lee I would not worry to much about guru graphic or what people are saying about it. because this engine system is what it is. unless he rewrite a different graphic system code what you see is what you get. I personally don't care to much about how the graphics look in guru. I like the video game look it has. I know Lee reads the steam reviews but he should stay more focus on the performance and fix the lightmap. once the lightmap work well we can start seeing the true peek of guru graphic. I believe with the right lightmap system guru graphic will improve and look like this in my pic.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2015 04:44 Edited at: 6th Jul 2015 08:32
I remember that "atmosphere" audio loop from FPSC-Classic.
i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce 420 GT
MXS
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2015 19:50
also if guru could have something like shader 4.0 that could also bump the graphic up. this is what guru would have look like with shader 4.0 in this pic. between fpsc , fpscx10 and darkbasic pro. they all use the same graphic system being everything is written under darkbasic pro. a better shader pipe line would change things but for guru to handle a better graphic improvement the performance needs to be improve to handle the shaders on high. I think Lee is taking the right step in improving the performance over all. I think people need to understand that guru is still in beta and need to support guru to see it through as a final product before doubting it.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2015 08:35 Edited at: 6th Jul 2015 08:37
Quote: " even with a great engine like unity you can still make a game with lots of bugs."

That's the developer of the game's fault not the developers of Unity. I recently started using unity and the only time you'd get performance issues is if you do not optimize your levels properly. Most beginner indie developers do not optimize their levels for performance. They just go right in to designing their level without the considering of culling and LOD systems and resource management.
MXS
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2015 23:13 Edited at: 7th Jul 2015 02:47
@Teabone that is my point. no game engine is flawless when it come to the developer that is using it. as I said before I'm not picking on unity just pointing out that you can still make a flaw game with it if you don't know what you are doing. We have this type of control in guru as well. everyone have to learn the engine first before they can make a compete game. no matter how easy a engine is or how powerful. it all comes down to the developer that is using it. so because the developer lack the knowledge of doing this it cause a flaw in the game. even AAA games run into this problem and they have game tester for their games. but no engine is flawless to use. because if that was the case it would not matter weather he optimize or use LOD at all. without feature like these in a game engine everyone will have a performance problem no matter what they do. once Lee develop a proper performance system in guru I can bet top dollar someone will break the performance down because they will depend on the engine to hold the frame rate at 60.

once again I'm not picking on guru or unity or this game. this game is just a fine example of what I mean about all of this. comparing guru with unity will not change anything about this engine. we can help this engine by supporting it. I for one will not jump ship because this is what I want out of a game engine

Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2015 00:27
It is indeed true there is very little holding GameGuru back at this point. Graphically its amazing. Just certain other areas need some work.
MXS
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2015 03:06
yes I agree there are some areas need work but Lee will get to them do in time. like any software a game engine is a long term commitment so even when is finish with guru he will still need to work on it from time to time. but for now I will give guru another one or two years before I can feel this is not a beta engine. but our support is the key to make that happen.

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2015 16:31
We are on performance now which I think we all agree needs a jump start. We will have the voting board running in the meantime to tell us what we are working on next, be it AI or Graphics, swimming or perhaps something completely left field. Will be VERY interesting to see how the voting turns out!

ANNOUNCEMENT: Watch a game being made and ask GameGuru questions live on WED 8TH JULY at 6PM BST on Twitch at: http://www.twitch.tv/gamegurulee
PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 09:29:39
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 09:29:39