Product Chat / Can this be used for D&D?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello all,

Could this program be used to run a virtual D&D session between friends? I've seen some very nice maps that would fit our fantasy setting, and the multi-player option seems to be in place from what I have read.

My main concern is flexibility. I was browsing the forums to get a feel for the product and I have seen a few users voice concerns about AI functionality, lack of inventories, ect.

If we kept the map all single story, or just buildings directly on the ground, would the AI be able to function well?
Is there an inventory system?
Is there a way to incorporate a stats window? It would be your usual STR/DEX/CON/WIS/INT/CHR stats and other odds and ends.
Is turn based combat a possibility?

Im sure ill have other questions as I think on it, but id like to ask these to get things started. To start off it would probably just be us roaming around a fantasy style map more than anything, but with several of us working on this project I think we might stand a chance at making something neat. Add in VR support and this would be an amazing tool for people to D&D with.

Thanks.
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
depends a lot on if you can code or not.
standard ai likely wont cut it and generally its best to keep obstacles to a minimum anyway (they can navigate them but there needs to be a very clear path or there will be issues)

no inventory system by default but (as with the next question about stats) it's very possible to create your own with some (possibly a lot depending how deep you go) coding

turn based is again not possible by default but you could code it.

to summarise; GG will help with dropping in models etc but nearly all (/maybe all) of the core gameplay is going to need custom scripts
life\'s one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, geforce gtx460, directx 11
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2015 19:21
GG is very limited in terms of what you can actually do via the LUA scripting at present.
i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce 420 GT
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2015 20:56
Quote: "If we kept the map all single story, or just buildings directly on the ground, would the AI be able to function well?
Is there an inventory system?
Is there a way to incorporate a stats window? It would be your usual STR/DEX/CON/WIS/INT/CHR stats and other odds and ends.
Is turn based combat a possibility?
"

I'm sure that this will be very doable once guru is further developed but currently...its tricky. I can see some of these things being done but I doubt that turn based combat can be done in any meaningful way at the moment.
However, someone made a topdown survival game with first person shooter creator...so all this will likely be possible a few months ahead

-Wolf

"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"
"absurdity has become necessity"
yrkoon
Years of Service
User Offline

Quote: " but I doubt that turn based combat can be done in any meaningful way at the moment."

That is most likely the feature the least likely to be needed in a GG multiplayer game , since it has been devised for the human Dungeon Master, who cannot possibly handle the actions of 3 to 10 human players + x npcs in realtime in a remotely adaequate and fair manner or for the single player in computer games who has a multi-character situation to contend with .
But I agree, it'll be MANY months unil a full multi-user D&D will be enjoyable with GG.

Lives of great men all remind us we may make our lives sublime
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2015 16:09
Yes I agree I think more multiplayer-aware commands in LUA would be needed to create a Dungeon Master style experience. I dare some version of it can be created now with some verbal rules established, but to enforce those rules you really want some in-game controls. When the voting board goes live, perhaps make a suggestion for these ideas and see if it gets some traction in the community.

ANNOUNCEMENT: Watch a game being made and ask GameGuru questions live on WED 8TH JULY at 6PM BST on Twitch at: http://www.twitch.tv/gamegurulee
PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 14:34:47
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 14:34:47