Product Chat / Limit player area - boundary

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Just wanting to know if there is a way to set a boundary so the play can't go out side of the "active game area".

At the moment I just use mountains to limit where a player can go however that can quickly get old. It would be nice if there was a boundary setting that could be used.

For example take one of the Zone markers. If there was a Boundary marker that could be placed, edited the same as a sound zone or any other zone that would make life a lot easier and allow me to just put some trees and make small town settings on the boundary.

Making it so the user can just click and drag where the boundary should be, having the ability to edit and add nodes plus have the ability to add a custom message for when the play reaches the boundary.

I created a quick video to explain what I mean visually.

More tutorials and freebies on my website
Win7 Ultimate 64bit, i7 , 32GB RAM Gskill, SSD, GTX 680, Logitech G19
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2015 03:42
There aren't any "zones" that can be used as such (with the possible exception to follow), but some folks have used invisible walls to do the same. Rolfy has one floating around here somewhere and he even has a lovely screenshot that proves it's invisible! I saw in someone's level that if you walked out somewhere you shouldn't, (a desert terrain) the heat became unbearable and your health would suffer. He may have used a trigger zone for that, but I'm not sure, as I never dissected the level. You pretty much (at this time) have to be clever with blocking people out. Obviously, you've figured that out with impassable mountains. Good luck!
MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
!nullptr
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2015 06:00 Edited at: 30th Jun 2015 06:02
As easily as you can check for a player in a zone, the reverse is also true.

And I might be the one who mentioned "heat" or "environmental" conditions to stop a player because that's what I do. I actually measure the distance from a zone and increase the "pressure" on a player to turn back by upping the ante the further he goes.

I also use rocks/trees with distance triggers that feed back to my player instead of zones. Great for quick C&P boundaries over large areas.

If you look at outdoor games like the Hunter for example - they have an imaginary boundary shown on the map with arbitrary rules that it's "out of bounds". If player crosses the boundary, they simply relocate player back to a safe zone.

tbh, most gamers these days are cognisant that map boundaries exist and I've always thought he best way to stop a player going there is to simply give him no reason to do so. If players want to bellyache they can "see the edge"... good luck to them I say.

Good fog is a subtle way to hide map edges when combined with other measures too.

Failing that - use brute force. Aliens with grenade launchers, brick walls and/or sheer sided cliffs and mountains.
AKA SisterMatic (Steam)
Development/ Gaming Rigs
Sys 1: i7-4770 (3.5)/16Gb/128 SSD/3Tb/970gtx/2 x 23, 1 x 27 LCD - Sys 2: i7/8Gb/670gtx/1.5Tb/1 x 23 LCD - Sys 3: Amd Quad/8Gb/645gtx/1Tb/30" LCD
PM
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Very easy to archive this. I wrote such a script some time ago, but it will released with some other stuff taht is not finished and ready, so I do not release it now.

But like !nullptr said. There is no problem to do so....
My dream is to develope games, which makes fun when I create it and fun when other people play it.
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I saw in someone's level that if you walked out somewhere you shouldn't, (a desert terrain) the heat became unbearable and your health would suffer"

I did that in a competition entry, I had mountains as well, but made several zones where once entered you would get a message saying the heat becomes unbearable and slowly decrease the players health. I think it depends on the game really, invisible walls are okay in some cases for me, although many hate them now GTA and other games have such huge maps. However if your game literally needs none of that then invisible walls are fine. I would put a message in before you hit it that you don't need to go that way, then after a bit further find the invisible wall.
Other than that have zones that take you to another level or levels at the edges.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2015 01:29
Yep, that was yours that I was referring to, DVader
MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2015 02:58 Edited at: 1st Jul 2015 02:59
I always wanted the blocking zones myself but since reading this im having second thoughts ....
DVaders solution is better ..... its just not reality to hit an invisible wall .... Planning a level with cliffs trees fences is probably much more of a realistic way of doing things ...

That's not to say it would not be useful for certain types of games ....Third person Mario style or games that are not in a real world for tricks and traps ?
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2015 04:23
I like the creativity/ingenuity. Like you said, in reality you don't hit an invisible wall. GTA had some good ideas as well. Road under construction, etc., and my favorite in San Andreas was if you stole a plane or boat to go where you shouldn't, you had everybody and their mother after you! But, of course, they weren't there for the same reasons as we have here.
PM
Bradaus
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Fair enough, there are some good options there instead of having a boundary/game zone. Like it has been pointed out, in real life there are no invisible walls. Cliffs, water, environments seem to be a more realistic boundary so I will go with that. A simple rivers edge will prevent a player form going places I don't want them too and is more realistic.

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

More tutorials and freebies on my website
Win7 Ultimate 64bit, i7 , 32GB RAM Gskill, SSD, GTX 680, Logitech G19
nuncio
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2015 08:04
i had this in the farcry 4 map editor and thought it would be a great idea. when you leave the playable zone you have a few seconds to return or you die. you could place invisible walls around your playable area. actually i'm working on an invisible wall to limit the playable area.
http://www.nuncio-rap.de
intel core i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz; 8GB RAM // NVIDIA GeForce GTX560Ti
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "actually i'm working on an invisible wall to limit the playable area."

There is already one from rolfy which works very good.
https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/208361
My dream is to develope games, which makes fun when I create it and fun when other people play it.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 12:10:22
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 12:10:22