Product Chat / something to think aobut

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
hello

I hope this is the proper place to talk about this its , if not i,m sorry, anyhow; I saw lee's blog about game guru not being up to par with other editors. I would tell him not to let it get to him down game guru is coming a long great. In fact i have made a level i would like to share with everyone except i need a third person cartoon person like Mario so i'm waiting for the creator to get that far. I won't be able to make person with out it at least not for a few years so i'm waiting on guru ha ha . But i feel that guru has made impressive strides and love using it. As for his challenge i think that if someone had all the models made and all textures and programming ready, one could make a decent looking game level in udk fairly fast ; and they do have drag and drop lights and water and lot of effects like water falls. I have used it and while its got a lot going for it guru could beat it if you had enough time but i feel that time is against you they are advancing really fast and they are becoming faster and better and more user friendly . So while right now you have a decent advantage it wont last and you might want to keep that in mind. On another note where did the building construction maker go there for a while it was looking good and i was looking forward to making my own buildings now i don't see anything about it. Not that i don't like what your doing i just hope you haven't stopped work on it. So don't get down keep working at it you are making strides.
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2015 19:52 Edited at: 29th Jun 2015 19:55
Other engines that do well seem to have the following:

#1 Optimized for Performance
#2 No limitations (endless possibilities via scripting)
#3 AI That Can Function Well with The Environments
#4 Good UI and Editing Controls

I think GG has the potential to actually compete with some of the top tools out there, it just lacks heavily in the most critical areas (currently). The design of GG is really nice and user friendly. some of the shortcuts have improved as well over the last few months. So #4 is starting to really take shape.

Quote: "On another note where did the building construction maker go there for a while it was looking good and i was looking forward to making my own buildings now i don't see anything about it. "

For now we can use the snapping tool, which is pretty much just a shortcut. It would be nice to know when we are in snapping mode with some togglable button for the 3 options it has. Sometimes I get a bit lost as to what stage of the snapping function im using.
i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce 420 GT
mickeyb
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes your quite right. it`s been said before looks like turned left when should have gone right.should have kept the name reloaded.
it sounds better than Game Guru, should of had the good working stuff from FPSC & X 10 at the moment it`s got nothing other engines
can`t do with plugins and the more time that goes by the more it will fall behind. There have been plenty of engines in the past that tried to do every
thing and never made it.Maybe should have made reloaded in all it`s glory for First person shooters, and then made a GUI for Dark Basic based on creator
to help those that wanted a easy to use game engine for M P & T P Games.
0Alemar0
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2015 22:56 Edited at: 29th Jun 2015 23:03
well
I really do not like to comment on that as it may seem I'm an arrogant person. but this time
I will give my opinion to try to help.
From time to time I read these comments saying that GG has bad graphics and is old visually.
These comments have a reason fund, but in my view, are aimed at the wrong side.
The GG problem is not technical, it is aesthetic. The arts and XL models, although very good, seem
very old from an artistic point of view. Everything is gray and neutral. I would have no problem at the same time GG showed another kind of art, but is only material that has on display, and is made with the same elements ...
See page of Unity for example. Although very realistic things, similar to the GG material,
there are several different things, colorful, cartoons, etc.
This is not a game of gender problem is a problem of aesthetic choice. I think whoever controls it
the GG should be only one person and she looks just for your taste, forgetting diversity. Even in
different genres, seem to be only customized, and aesthetic choices always seem the same ...
Look at the dimoxinil work. I see no emphasis on this work here, the images illustrating the site
GG are only one type ... and you guys despise a very good material and that will make a difference if it is shown
and highlighted always.If you guys put it next to the standard material, it will value the stock material, wrong who think instead
The cartoon material that comes with GG is poor either.
The question is: You guys are doing a tool for only one type of user is that?
You guys will continue to have the same problem, even when we have other genres of game.because your Art is always the
same ... for me this is a marketing strategy problem ... has nothing to do with render quality
. You want to make a tool that can be used to develop various types of games
quickly using things you have on your maketplace, but has only one type of art is going to be there. Always the games will be like each other... The person that want to make a game , always dreams to make a unic game. You can be a genious programmer , but if you have the same art , you can´t have attention.
You guys did a contest to choose images that represent the product, but the choices, although very
good, do not show diversity.
and to complete, Lee is using a character representing the Guru, who can become a
fantastic marketing tool and disclosure, but again, it's a bad aesthetic choice, no personality... kkkk
sorry, my two cents
www.alemargames.com
!nullptr
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2015 23:18
Quote: "You want to make a tool that can be used to develop various types of games
quickly using things you have on your maketplace, but has only one type of art is going to be there. Always the games will be like each other... The person that want to make a game , always dreams to make a unic game."

"Uniqueness" is up to the game developer. Every asset, every tree, every character and every scrap of terrain is in their hands. If people chose to use store items then they must expect a "sameness" - otherwise the store would have to be full of single sale items - costing hundreds, if not thousands - or no-one would make them.

Quote: " You can be a genious programmer , but if you have the same art , you can´t have attention."

This one has always interested me. Some of the best games out there 1) have poor graphics and 2) share and use assets all the time.

In my experience, a good game is mostly about how it plays and the looks are quickly forgotten. What's the old cliche about books and covers?
AKA SisterMatic (Steam)
Development/ Gaming Rigs
Sys 1: i7-4770 (3.5)/16Gb/128 SSD/3Tb/970gtx/2 x 23, 1 x 27 LCD - Sys 2: i7/8Gb/670gtx/1.5Tb/1 x 23 LCD - Sys 3: Amd Quad/8Gb/645gtx/1Tb/30" LCD
PM
MXS
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2015 23:39
@Teabone there is a indication at the bottom right side that tell you what mode you are using.
more than what meets the eye.Welcome to SciFi Summer

Windows 7 home premium 64bit gtx770 sc acx 2gb gpu boost 2.0

seppgirty
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2015 23:48
Quote: "because your Art is always the
same .."

It's called continuity . I think it's great to have 2 thousand items that fit together instead of 2 thousand mis-matched items. If you need a unique item, make it yourself or pay an artist for costume work.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2015 00:11
Quote: "@Teabone there is a indication at the bottom right side that tell you what mode you are using."

Thanks! I didn't notice that
MXS
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2015 02:23
you are welcome.
more than what meets the eye.Welcome to SciFi Summer

Windows 7 home premium 64bit gtx770 sc acx 2gb gpu boost 2.0

0Alemar0
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "It's called continuity . I think it's great to have 2 thousand items that fit together instead of 2 thousand mis-matched items. If you need a unique item, make it yourself or pay an artist for costume work."

yes I know.because this all game looks the continuity of each other...kkkk and fit thogeter 2 thousand mis matched items is called creativity... I don't have problem to make unique item myself. Realist or not.( www.marcoalemar.com) that is not my point...
The point is GG is selling like a engine, but is displayed like a game itself.
sorry my poor english, hope you understand.
www.alemargames.com
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2015 02:53
Why is it in the game category by the way? I never really understand that.
0Alemar0
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: ""Uniqueness" is up to the game developer. Every asset, every tree, every character and every scrap of terrain is in their hands. If people chose to use store items then they must expect a "sameness" - otherwise the store would have to be full of single sale items - costing hundreds, if not thousands - or no-one would make them."

hum... I'm talking about diversity, not uniqueness. And I think that all people that buy content in GG marketplace not expect a sameness... not really... at least that is people the same is talking about all the game looks the same and the graphics are poor? so, there is a problem in GG advertising....kkk

Quote: "This one has always interested me. Some of the best games out there 1) have poor graphics and 2) share and use assets all the time.

In my experience, a good game is mostly about how it plays and the looks are quickly forgotten. What's the old cliche about books and covers? "

I agree with you, but you just know this after you play the game... If all the books have the same cover, how you choose whats looks the best?

look guys I use this engine since begining... I' m a gold baker since the first week.. I use FPSC since 2005 if I remember... I tried many engines, all the best engines.I never give up this engine because for me this is the best for a person that want work alone or with small teams. Make a game looks unique is not a problem for me , like other custumers. I'm commenting this because this problem is turning bigger more and more... and I think the problem looks clear like water for me. But, I can be wrong.
resuming. GG is selling like a engine , but, is displayed like a game itself. sorry my poor english hope you can understand my point
www.alemargames.com
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Why is it in the game category by the way? I never really understand that."

Quote from Lee ....

If you're curious 'why games category', please stick around for 3-6 months and you will soon realise the direction we are taking. Think Minecraft without the blocks, Little Big Planet unleashed to all genres, the infinite creature creation of Spore, and before long you will start to realise there is a whole new hybrid genre emerging today that successfully blends the universe of playing and creating into a new experience. Now imagine a development team that intends to inject nitrogen into this emergence, just to see what happens. And the best part, it's going to be shaped by this community and given a life of its own. Can't wait to see what happens next!
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Disturbing 13
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2015 04:49
I see this as a call to arms. Maybe users are only putting up screenshots of stages that look similar. I say we try and emulate as many styles as possible to create some killer screenshots and prove the nay sayers wrong. Honestly I can say the same thing they are saying for games using HL2 engine, especially when they use the same limited amount of textures, models and enemies yet I'm not hearing grief coming from complainers about that. I think Lee is spot on with his challenge.

!nullptr
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2015 05:36 Edited at: 30th Jun 2015 05:38
Quote: "hum... I'm talking about diversity, not uniqueness. And I think that all people that buy content in GG marketplace not expect a sameness... not really... at least that is people the same is talking about all the game looks the same and the graphics are poor? so, there is a problem in GG advertising....kkk"

The fact remains that to be "diverse" or "unique" is 100% up to the developer. Game developers need to make both design - and - economic choices. eg: I buy trees from the store because a tree is a tree is a tree, however, there are things I can't buy so I have to commission or trade the work out to someone.

(Besides, if someone decides not to buy my game because I used the same tree as Fred Bloggs then my game will be too sophisticated for them anyway. :0)

One thing for sure, just in my limited time here, I'm seeing more joint efforts appearing in the store where modellers are teaming up with scripters etc. and as a result the quality and diversity should increase of it's own accord. You yourself raised Unity as an example of diversity, and rightly so. It has critical mass, something that GG will hopefully have but it's up to us, the community, to make that happen.

For mine, I'd much rather GG devs concentrate on a solid canvas for my masterpiece. I'll decide what I want to paint on it.
AKA SisterMatic (Steam)
Development/ Gaming Rigs
Sys 1: i7-4770 (3.5)/16Gb/128 SSD/3Tb/970gtx/2 x 23, 1 x 27 LCD - Sys 2: i7/8Gb/670gtx/1.5Tb/1 x 23 LCD - Sys 3: Amd Quad/8Gb/645gtx/1Tb/30" LCD
PM
Polaraul
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Reading Lee's blog post I can sympathise, however, the modern FPS genre demands high quality visuals and GameGuru lacks in this respect. In opening up GameGuru to the wider Steam audience, a user base well versed in AAA quality visuals, then I believe this criticism is only to be expected. The problem with GameGuru is that it just looks very, very dated. Even a small tweak like shipping at least some HQ assets with the prduct would help in this resepct, but I don't think TGC want to go down this route.

As for Lee's challenge, and even though I use both Unity and CryEngine now, I won't be taking Lee up on that. That challenge in itself only further highlights the issues with GameGuru. The lack of industry standards within GameGuru means in no way would it be a like for like comparison. In Unity, CryEngine and UE4 I would import the same heightmap for terrain, in GameGuru I would have to try and replicate that heightmap manually within the editor. In UE4 and Unity (and Cryengine with a little coaxing) I could import the same splatmap to texture that terrain (and again, this would have to be done by hand in Game Guru). If I also want to use the same assets (all FBX format) as well, then I would have to round trip them to GameGuru and hope they survive the import routine. Also, water, performance and gamestate would not be an issue in any of the other engines I have mentioned.

This is not a bashing of GameGuru though, I still like it and still have it installed on my system. It is a fun little product.
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2015 14:40
@Polaraul : If you just want to send me the Unity/UE standalone executable (not any media) privately my email address is lee@thegamecreators.com and leave it with me to work out how to make a close comparison. I've been doing some twitch research recently and there are some amazingly popular games out there that are not a million miles away from the graphics we have in GameGuru now such as Counter Strike : Global Conflict that despite its own aging graphics produces an awesome game play experience. I think if we raise our performance, improve our AI and make a few visual touches here and there, we won't be too far from an experience most users could accept until such time as we can overhaul our entire graphics engine to support next generation APIs and cross-platform technologies.

ANNOUNCEMENT: Watch a game being made and ask GameGuru questions live on WED 8TH JULY at 6PM BST on Twitch at: http://www.twitch.tv/gamegurulee
PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 12:12:36
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 12:12:36