Product Chat / 3D Modelling Questions for creating models for use in GameGuru:

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2015 15:31
Hi,
Is there a list of recommended dimensions for making 3D Models to, in GG?
I have been teaching myself how to do 3D modelling with 3ds max.
I assumed you make models at a scale of 1:1, as you do in 2D CAD.
But I am wondering if there is a set recommended dimensions for making the models work in GG.
It would be nice to know if there is a standard that you to strive to comply to.

Like...
1. The height and width of a doorways.
2. The rise and going of steps for stairs, to suit stock characters animations. ie: say the uber soldier.
3. A general height range for buildings. Single story, two story, etc.
4. The minimum opening size of a hole/section for an enemy ai_npc to successfully navigate it’s through.
5. The size of player’s hands and arms and the size of the setup for the weapons HUD.X & VWEAP.X.
6. The height/size of characters like the uber soldier.

And anything else you might think is relevant that I have not thought of yet.
I know you can scale entities in the fpe, editor and in scripts to suit, but it would be nice to draw them to the correct size first.

I have no previous experience with any game making software before I started using GG, or any of the previous reloaded and classic forms of GameGuru. So I am lacking in the experience and knowledge of all theses bits of information.

Thanks in advance.

I may be old, but at least my memory still ....hmmm

Pavilion dv6 Notebook, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30 GHz, Win 7 64 bit, 16 GB Ram, Radeon (TM) HD 6490M, 2336 MB Memory. Resolution 1366x768, Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000. (WEI 5.8)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Bradaus
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I have been just making the models to scale however I am new to building models also. I have found that making doorways a little higher (about 100 to 200 mm higher than normal) is always good.

First house model I built I made the ceiling height around 3 meters however it left a lot of empty wall space while in game so I now make the ceiling height around 2.7 meters.
More tutorials and freebies on my website
Win7 Ultimate 64bit, i7 , 32GB RAM Gskill, SSD, GTX 680, Logitech G19
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2015 17:18
You can make everything as to what the real world would be. Doors and opening need to be around 4Ft wide and 7'9" tall for AI to pass through properly without bouncing threw them. Watch the opening in the stairwells and allow the extra cut out for head clearance. Anything else goes as the real world does.

Railings about 42 inches high. Stairways, at least 4 ft wide, normal slopes. (AI can not walk up and down them as of yet. But a solution is close).

most stock characters have been scaled down to about 80.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

perelect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2015 21:18 Edited at: 28th Jun 2015 21:24
Thanks, Guys.

Every bit of information is helpful to me.

Quote: "Stairways, at least 4 ft wide, normal slopes. (AI can not walk up and down them as of yet. But a solution is close).
"

Yes I noticed the stock animations for the going up and down stairs don't suit the warehouse buildings.
But they are very close to the stairs in VA's Guru Buildings Foundations pack.

I was wondering if they planning on supporting one set of rise and going of steps for the animations, or if it will automatically detect each step by collision and step up again, to compensate for the different rise in steps?

So for the warehouse stairs you have to shorten it up by playing selected frames to match it up.
I have spent a lot of time doing this and it not an easy task, Its been a lot of trial and error for me so far and very time consuming, but its all about learning for me.

Then you have to tie it into the ai scripts, Then the ai have to find the stairs, know which way to turn to climb them, how to counter act obstacles that are in the way, and ............ There is just so much to It.

I fully appreciate how much work is involved in navigating from on level to another and back again..
It will be interesting to see how they adjust the animations for stairs that have different rise and going of the steps.

Cheers.

Pavilion dv6 Notebook, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30 GHz, Win 7 64 bit, 16 GB Ram, Radeon (TM) HD 6490M, 2336 MB Memory. Resolution 1366x768, Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000. (WEI 5.8)
TazMan
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2015 18:29 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2015 18:29
Since the start of my model making I have listned to the suggestions made on the forum ie PirateMyke
Quote: "Doors and opening need to be around 4Ft wide and 7'9" tall for AI to pass through properly"
I have also made models to the size that I think they should be and then adjusting them if necessary after I have tried them out in the editor.

Just have fun and you can't go wrong.
HP Pavilion Laptop, AMD A8-4555M APU with Radeon(tm) Graphics HD Graphics 1.6GHz, 8GB Memory, 64 Bit Operating System (Windows 8.1), 1 TB Hard Drive.

I've got something to say - It's better to burn out than fade away.
perelect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2015 03:07
I just thought of this...

I have just been measuring the physical sizes of the soldiers.

I noticed that there are different elements to the mesh on the soldiers. (I not sure if I got the terminological right there.)

That is the legs are a different element to the Head, Arms and torso, hands and feet.

That got me thinking about if we could assign a health value tag to each of these different elements we could tell what part of the model is hit by a bullet.

So then you would have the ability to tell between which body parts were hit.

So you could have Head shots, arms shot, etc.

I know other games have the ability to tell between different body parts, but I have no idea how they achieve it.

Could this be the way they do it?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
perelect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2015 07:11
I have been thinking about this more and it lead me to wondering how the Character Creators works.

It seems the CC attaches separate models to the soldiers body.
So the attachments probably do have, or are capable of having their own entities flag that could be passed through the engine back to us to manipulate with scripting.

If it was possible then you could make some very challenging and unique characters.

So say with the knight his armour suit would have its own health separate to the character.
So once a section of the armour that has been damaged to health level 0 then it would be destroyed.
You could have numerous sections to an armour suit.
Once a section of the suit is gone then that area would reveal access to the characters own health.

A soldier might have a grenade attached to his belt around his waist.
So if you shot the grenade its health value would diminish then it would exploded.
Killing the soldier and others around him.

I think would be a great feature for GG and within the abilities of the engine.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 09:29:09
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 09:29:09