Scripts / More Than 2 Audio Files Per Entity?

Author
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2015 00:24
For whatever reason I cannot create topics on GameGuru's steam community discussion forums so I'll post my issue here. Though I know i tend to get a faster reply on there and there seems to be more action taken when things are posted there.

I've finally started working on a dedicated project with GameGuru and I've bumped into several situations that are preventing me from moving forward. For 1 I can't seem to figure out a way to play more than 2 audio files from a single entity. I can do this with characters using the soundset file and foluder structures for onAlert and etc but for an entity that is not a character I have no idea how to get a sound file loaded past the 2 we are limited to. This was not the case in FPSC and I didnt expect this restriction. Is there a way to reference more than 2 audio files within an FPE that can be called by LUA? If the answer is no then how do I load an audio file from its root in LUA?

Any help would be wonderful as I'd like to get past this barrier im facing.
i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce 420 GT
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2015 00:58
Just like in classic this will have to be scripted. Sound 0 apparently is reserved for something Else in GameGuru.

But you can write a script and just point to the audio files location and bypass the sound 0 and sound 1 slots in the FPE file all together. Therefore being able to script as many sounds to an object as you want to.

This would get better attention in the script board, and I am going to move it there.

Thanks
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2015 02:03
I've been looking for weeks as to what that command would be in LUA to reference from a directory to a audio file. I tried using what I looked up in LUA reference manuals and they did not work in GG unfortunately.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2015 09:38 Edited at: 16th Jun 2015 09:41
PlaySound(e,v)
Play the sound stored in the specified slot (v) as defined in entity properties. (v) can be 0 or 1.
PlaySoundIfSilent(e,v)
Play the sound stored in the specified slot (v) as defined in entity properties if not playing which can be 0 or 1.
PlayNon3DSound(e,v)
Play the sound stored in the specified slot (v) as defined in entity properties ignoring location and distance which can be 0 or 1.
LoopSound(e,v)
Play and loop the sound stored in the specified slot as defined in entity properties which can be 0 or 1.
StopSound(e,v)
Stop the sound that is playing which can be 0 or 1.
SetSoundSpeed(freq)
Set currently set sound frequency
SetSoundVolume(vol)
Set the currently set sound volume (1 – 100)
SetCharacterSound(e,str)
Set the character sound to (str) as defined in audiobank folder
PlayCharacterSound(e,str)
Player the character sound (str) as defined in audiobank folder
PlayCombatMusic(playTime,fadeTime)
Plays the combat music as defined in the audiobank
PlayFinalAssaultMusic(fadeTime)
Plays the assualt music as defined in the audiobank
DisableMusicReset(v)
Call at start of game to suspend normal music restart behaviour by setting (v) to 1.

I'm not happy that I'm being restricted here from doing something very basic that ALL game engines are able to do but GameGuru currently seems to not. Its making my stomach turn as I know I'll be told "its not priority" or "not till everyone thinks this is something they want". I don't want to wait 5 months for something so fundamental and basic. FPSC-Classic didn't have this restriction and as I recall when GameGuru was Reloaded we were able to direct play from the audiobank with a single line LUA command?
!nullptr
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2015 13:07
Teabone - I put 2 possible workrounds on your Steam thread that *might* solve the problem - temporarily at least - until we get some sound access.

And yes, totally agree we need sound to be called directly based on any event/entity we create. Posted on this several times myself.
AKA SisterMatic (Steam)
Development/ Gaming Rigs
Sys 1: i7-4770 (3.5)/16Gb/128 SSD/3Tb/970gtx/2 x 23, 1 x 27 LCD - Sys 2: i7/8Gb/670gtx/1.5Tb/1 x 23 LCD - Sys 3: Amd Quad/8Gb/645gtx/1Tb/30" LCD
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2015 20:06
Quote: "But you can write a script and just point to the audio files location and bypass the sound 0 and sound 1 slots in the FPE file all together.
"

I am unable to find a LUA command that does this. Even the ones that do in other engines that use LUA, it doesn't work in GG.
!nullptr
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2015 22:48
I think myke "cross-referenced" FPSC with GG.

I know of no way to access sfx direct in GG yet without a 3rd party tool. New sound stuff is on Lee's list so it's just a case of waiting. In what form, I have no idea.
AKA SisterMatic (Steam)
Development/ Gaming Rigs
Sys 1: i7-4770 (3.5)/16Gb/128 SSD/3Tb/970gtx/2 x 23, 1 x 27 LCD - Sys 2: i7/8Gb/670gtx/1.5Tb/1 x 23 LCD - Sys 3: Amd Quad/8Gb/645gtx/1Tb/30" LCD
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 08:41:20
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 08:41:20