Scripts / Winzone spawns or use of key

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2015 07:14
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out one of two things about winzone:
- How to make it NOT spawn at start, but after killing all enemies or finding all documents. SisterMatic gave me this script, but it doesn't work properly for the moment.
- Or, having a key to unlock the winzone but I don't know how. Both options are interesting, but I can't make any of them work properly

PM
!nullptr
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2015 12:12
Quote: "SisterMatic gave me this script, but it doesn't work properly for the moment. "

C'mon fella, script did work, it was an example of what you *could* do, not should do and I made that perfectly clear - 3 times. You dropped it onto an entity and tried running it - as is- without even telling anybody what you were actually trying to do. I was working blind (as was everybody) I queried you twice for no answer, even spent ages trying to work alternate ways when it turned out you couldn't understand code.

Seriously man, I take exception to this.
Development/ Gaming Rigs
Sys 1: i7-4770 (3.5)/16Gb/128 SSD/3Tb/970gtx/2 x 23, 1 x 27 LCD - Sys 2: i7/8Gb/670gtx/1.5Tb/1 x 23 LCD - Sys 3: Amd Quad/8Gb/645gtx/1Tb/30" LCD
PM
Jack T
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2015 12:48 Edited at: 26th May 2015 17:40
PM
Jack T
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2015 12:54 Edited at: 26th May 2015 12:56
Wait, I just saw it was you SisterMatic, how can it be?
you've answered me all morning on steam, thanks to you I have all figured it out, except the winzone-key thing for which I said that I needed more practice. I said about the same thing here than on steam. How to have a WinZone NOT spawn at start. Just that.

Please, honestly, tell me what I said wrong. I hate that kind of confusion wether it's coming from you or myself it doesn't matter.

PS: why is your name different here? Forgive me for not checking before but the confusion remains
PM
!nullptr
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2015 13:03
SisterMatic = !nullptr

Quote: "you never wrote to me or anything. Plus I never asked that question before, so explain yourself."

Clearly you didn't actually read my multiple queries about what you were trying to do or my very explicit statements that it was an example, NOT a drop in script. For now I'll accept your "disparaging commentary" is due to English as second language and not some malevolent attitude. I did wonder.

I'll add that me being Australian presents it's own issues with "English"... The poms never learned to speak it properly and didn't teach us proper eiver.

Moving on.....
Development/ Gaming Rigs
Sys 1: i7-4770 (3.5)/16Gb/128 SSD/3Tb/970gtx/2 x 23, 1 x 27 LCD - Sys 2: i7/8Gb/670gtx/1.5Tb/1 x 23 LCD - Sys 3: Amd Quad/8Gb/645gtx/1Tb/30" LCD
PM
!nullptr
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2015 13:17
Quote: "Please, honestly, tell me what I said wrong."

Relax. You said my script didn't work when it most certainly did. They're considered fighting words to a coder. It's got a lot to do with public forums and credibility. When someone helps you out, it's up to you to work out what you're being told and say thank you, not make public comments saying a scripters code didn't work when you simply didn't understand.

(It's like telling an architect his building is crap when you live in a tent. )

And my name is different because I'm not SisterMatic when I'm not on Steam. (I'm also known by lots of other names... most are not for publication )

We're good. Chill.
Development/ Gaming Rigs
PM
Jack T
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2015 13:37
I wasn't attacking you in any way, I was only confused and I still am. But I don't want you to think evil of me or anything.

[quote= my very explicit statements that it was an example]

But, I need to say that without coding skills I couldn't have guessed that you had given me an example - when you said it was one I said: "Ok, I'm sorry."

Anyway, I told you that I had found a way around my problem. So like you said, moving on...

PS: You're serious about your english? I thought Australian spoke as well as the English people?
PM
Rexzooly-Steam
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 2nd Jun 2015 11:50 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2015 11:58
Right lets stop the boring posts and lets get down to the point of the post I also want to be able to run a script I have the star in the game what

I know I can set this icon not to work until a key is found but how would I do this for the script.

EDIT:
OK this works the code I posted works fine in the live set up it does not work only in the testing box for some reason the order of the commands are not really listened to in the editor or that one command is fired and the other one if fired so fast it over rides the last one two fast as the game editor only show a message for end game.
Autoplay Media Studios Lua Scripter, RPG Maker Creator, FPSC and now GG user.
!nullptr
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2015 02:34 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2015 02:42
Correct. Level jumping does not work from test level, only at standalone . Treat each level separately until you're ready to actually play. Also check yourself on the order of creating standalone too. Level 2 compile before 1 etc... See Community Guides via your Steam interface. It's all nicely explained.

And yes, a new prompt call overwrites an old prompt call, the order is perfectly correct. JumpToLevel() has it's own prompt and overwrote your prompt. Try using Text and a timer for alternate text positioning or place the PromptDuration call *after* the jump level call for testing purposes. (Doesn't apply in standalone obviously)

Heads up too. Specific queries like this are better handled in a separate thread instead of lost in not entirely related threads. Jacks posts were important to Jack and myself. Calling it "boring" is a bit rude in my view.

(Also use the "code" tags as it makes reading script easier.)

Noted also. You called Destroy(e) and JumpToLevellfUsed(e) - careful on order. Besides, if JumpToLevelIfUsed(e) occurs first, Destroy is intrinsic - you left
AKA SisterMatic (Steam)
Development/ Gaming Rigs
PM
Rexzooly-Steam
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 3rd Jun 2015 12:06
Yes you have about there I was using different script provided by default and using there command as I see no action editor to find out what some of them mean and there still working on them they might change I thought best idea was to post here and ya I forgot about the tags here sorry about that.

If there a vrb or options that returns true if it's in test mode? as I can tweak my calls to check if test mode and call a function as needed.
!nullptr
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2015 12:19 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2015 12:20
Quote: "If there a vrb or options that returns true if it's in test mode? as I can tweak my calls to check if test mode and call a function as needed."

There is no mistaking test mode from standalone mode. You need to specifically create standalone and run it from an entirely separate location. If you're running via the editor, you're in test mode.

In test you will get a prompt alerting you to the destination of your "jump" and code keeps running. A very handy methodology as you might recognise further down the track. In standalone, you will jump.
AKA SisterMatic (Steam)
Development/ Gaming Rigs
PM
Rexzooly-Steam
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 3rd Jun 2015 12:55
I know that already, what I am asking asking is, is there a option or vrb in the code so when we are doing tests a test command or action can be done so we know its triggering the way we would like it to
!nullptr
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2015 13:23 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2015 13:26
It already does. You will get a prompt saying you will jump to whatever it is linked to.

As for whether it does what you'd like it to... no. It's just a jump. Everything clears and you start at the player zone you specified in the destination level.

You can add code prior to the jump to make saves etc. which was discussed previously.

If I can flesh this out more, happy to help.
AKA SisterMatic (Steam)
Development/ Gaming Rigs
PM
Rexzooly-Steam
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 3rd Jun 2015 19:05
No what I mean is, is there away to detect it via script if we are in test mode so we can make our scripts act a little different I know that command will flash up the jump message but I would like to detect if I am in test mode or not and if I am in test mode I would not have the script fire the jump option so it wouldn't over ride my commands
!nullptr
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2015 23:10
Quote: "No what I mean is, is there away to detect it via script if we are in test mode so we can make our scripts act a little different I know that command will flash up the jump message but I would like to detect if I am in test mode or not and if I am in test mode I would not have the script fire the jump option so it wouldn't over ride my commands"

Rexzooly.

- You can't jump while in test mode - any script you have before or after the jump command will run as normal.
- You don't need to query if you are in test mode. If you run it from the IDE you are absolutely in test mode.
- You do not get to chose what happens after a jump in standalone except where you start in the next level (without saving/loading your own stats)

I think you might need to actually run this and test out what I have said.

If what you're attempting to do fails to work, paste your script with the issues you are facing and we can take a look for you.
AKA SisterMatic (Steam)
Development/ Gaming Rigs
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 09:49:20
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 09:49:20