Scripts / Permadeath or not?

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2015 12:59
Hi everyone,

Considering that checkpoints don't save the game, I would very much like to add permadeath to my levels (well, some of them.)
Would it be hard to make or simple like replacing a zero by one?

Thanks in advance
PM
Jack T
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2015 16:00
I'm not sure it was very clear

If the player dies before a checkpoint, he respawns at the Player Start marker, but what do I have to do in order to make him not just respawn but restart the level?
Or, Which files work with the player start marker (outside the FPE in the entity folder) so I can take a look at them?
PM
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2015 17:08
I guess with lua you could spawn a winzone at the players position on death and then set it to reload the same level, then delete the winzone when restarted.
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, AMD HD7870 gfx card.
King Korg Synth, Alesis SR18 Drum Machine, Akai MPX8 sample player, Roland Fantom XA Synth, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit.
perelect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2015 17:24
I have never used this but there is a

JumpToLevel(levelname) command.
(Ends the level and loads the level defined by (levelname))

Maybe something like

If player health =0 and checkpoint = 0 then
JumpToLevel(levelname)

just put the name of your map in the levelname in the command.
see how it goes...
I may be old, but at least my memory still ....hmmm

Pavilion dv6 Notebook, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30 GHz, Win 7 64 bit, 16 GB Ram, Radeon (TM) HD 6490M, 2336 MB Memory. Resolution 1366x768, Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000. (WEI 5.8)
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Doesn't it do this automatically when you are running a standalone?
It should anyway, I know test game doesn't but that's because its test mode.
Just set lives to 0 and play the standalone game should be all you need.
life\'s one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, geforce gtx460, directx 11
Jack T
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2015 07:38 Edited at: 24th May 2015 07:39
smallg

It doesn't actually, it's even worse than this. I played Dvader's standalone and the number of lives don't even count. Even with zero lives you respawn at the last checkpoint... It's awful (not Dvader's standalone, I mean the dying system.)
It's weird, since GG is out, there's not many standalone available. Do people get tired of little things called... inconveniences?

I'm doing my best with a few knowledge to make a game I could share here... The little bugs during the build are not that bad - though sometimes frustrating - we can go around one way or the other, that doesn't kill the experience, but having a game where dying has no point because you respawn with the same guns, same door opened, same AI killed... There's no challenge at all or there is too much if you die and respawn with the last two bullets in the level and the AI still shooting...

Tarkus and Perelect:

I can't find how to modify it. I've searched everyfiles in GG and I have no clue which ones are related to the player's death and such.

(Maybe I can have windows send an error message that reboots the game once you died. Hey, a windows error system, that's easy to make!)
PM
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "It doesn't actually, it's even worse than this. I played Dvader's standalone and the number of lives don't even count."

Thats because dvader standalone is compiled with an old version of GG. In the newest GG version it works. I test it myself.
My dream is to develope games, which makes fun when I create it and fun when other people play it.
PM
Jack T
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2015 10:42
Corno:

Really?
Then I will try my level to be reassured.

But, does this mean there're a very few people who've shared their work yet?
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 13:03:31
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 13:03:31