Product Chat / Is There Better Lighting / Pathfinding Support Yet?

Author
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2015 23:50 Edited at: 20th May 2015 23:59
Its been a while since I used GameGuru so apologies for not being up to speed.

When I last had a go there was a serious lack of support for lights e.g. static lightmap quality was not very good, especially when trying to produce decent looking shadows. Range and brightness didn't have enough control and you couldn't mix static lightmaps with dynamic lights, it was one or the other.

Also it was only possible to cast dynamic shadows from the sun and neither static or dynamic lights cast dynamic shadows which made indoor environments look very poor compared with the outdoor demos.

Finally it was not possible to give enemies waypoints that could navigate up stairs so gameplay only worked on a single level which is very limiting. I had a quick play of the indoor example maps and the zombies still have very bad pathfinding in more complex geometry.

I'm really pleased to see the Steam release is going well and the product has improved in many ways since the good old BETA days of Reloaded. However these issues have been there since this time and I don't want to invest a lot of time until there is a proper lighting solution in place.

The gameplay for enemies with weapons is actually quite good but having all of this great scenery when they can essentially only navigate the terrain properly is a significant drawback.

If these issues are not planned to be fixed soon I think that is quite disappointing. We have moved onto to things like 3rd person without ensuring the basic architecture of the engine is implemented properly first.

Edit - This is not a bash GameGuru thread. I've been a GOLD pledge since the beginning and would just like to see more of the fundamentals being addressed.

Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Intel i7 3.4 GHz, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 760 2GB DDR5
Errant AI
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2015 06:31
It's about the same. The Devs have been busy roughing-in all of the new features and base functionality they wanted for v1. We won't see really big advancements with lighting until a more major overhaul down the road. I believe they are still weighing options on how to best handle stairs and such for AI in a way that works well and is also easy for people to use.
Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3, Intel Core i7 2600K, 16GB Corsair DDR3, EVGA GTX 970 SC, Win7 Pro 64-bit SP1, Primary monitor @ 1920x1080, secondary monitor @ 1024x1280
Nomad Soul
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2015 20:24 Edited at: 7th Jun 2015 20:25
This is very disappointing.

GG should still be in early access until this has been sorted out. I'm not surprised they are getting a lot of negative reviews on Steam if the product is expected to be in a functional state now. Customers are right to be angry if they find things to be this broken.

I thought TGC would have learned their lesson after X10 but it seems bad habits die hard. See you in another 6 months.

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2015 21:22 Edited at: 7th Jun 2015 21:27
Hi Nomad soul

A lot has changed and once out of early access your really in Beta so work that still needs doing is to be expected . I have a few other steam products in the same position on steam .." Take on Mars" for instance I purchased that in early access and although its out it still has many missing functions and issues that need sorting but it is still very playable in its current state and like GG continues to improve as development continues...

The reviews have actually been very good ...136 thumbs up as apposed to 34 thumbs down at last count
If you haven't tried GG in a while you may be surprised at the new additions with 3rd person giving a whole new perspective in game design .
At the rate the updates have been coming it shouldn't be to long before lighting etc is tackled ..

Great to see you back though
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
MXS
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2015 21:36
once again someone else is thinking what I'm thinking about GG. I agree with you Nomad Soul the lighting for static lights should have been fix and made sure they stay that way for each update. now the lightmapping for inside level are completely broken. I to want to make a thread about my thoughts on these things but I feel it is a waste of my time. so know I have to play band wagon to other people threads who been posting up what I been thinking all this time since reload. I test the lightmap with every update but as for the last update I'm done. moving forward with fpsc projects with lighting that works. which I'm finding it kind of funny that I'm taking models from GG and importing to fpsc.
more than what meets the eye.Welcome to SciFi Summer

Windows 7 home premium 64bit gtx770 sc acx 2gb gpu boost 2.0

Nomad Soul
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2015 21:45 Edited at: 7th Jun 2015 21:53
Hi synchromesh

Yeah I gave a thumbs up review and I hope GG goes on to be a great product.

To be fair it has come a long way in some areas but some of the fundamentals are still missing which is frustrating for old and new users. It kind of reminds me of the old days when everyone had to sit tight and hope Lee put at least 1 of the things you really needed in an update. This was ok back then because FPSC was the only choice for this type of product but there is a lot more competition around now.

I think TGC have always suffered from a lack of roadmap, or at least one they actually stuck to and end up going in too many directions without ever getting around to the important things. Perhaps I'm just getting older and grumpy since joining in 2007 but I don't have time to wait around anymore as there are more productive things to be doing.

I hope the core engine functionality gets updated soon and good to see you again!

@MXS - I totally agree. Indoor lighting and AI need a lot of work and FPSC Classic is still much better for this at the moment. You can only showcase outdoor environments with GG which is a shame as it gives the product a very broken feel.

Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2015 05:35 Edited at: 8th Jun 2015 05:37
Quote: "Is There Better Lighting / Pathfinding Support Yet?"

No

Quote: "To be fair it has come a long way in some areas but some of the fundamentals are still missing which is frustrating for old and new users."

Indeed. However Lee has recently grazed the Forums and has taken into consideration everyones concerns. Very curious to see what the next few months have in store.
i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce 420 GT

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 16:09:46
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 16:09:46