Product Chat / Initial Thoughts on Latest Game Guru

Author
User Banned
Posted: 20th May 2015 02:53
I've only played with this a little bit, but I have a few thoughts on 3rd person, the free flight mode, and a few other things. This is the first version I tried free flight editing mode so this really should have been mentioned sooner. Anyway, free flight editor mode is pretty good, bit there really needs to be a pan viewport option, preferably by holding down the middle mouse button. Having to use movement keys to get down to ground level or move the viewport is OK, but there is always a pan mode in any 3D modeling or game engine level editor that I've ever worked with so it feels wrong to not have it.

3rd person needs to implement the mouse wheel so we can zoom in and out to get a view distance that we are comfortable with. And as mentioned elsewhere, we should be able to angle the camera up and down. Pushing the mouse in and out is one way I've seen it done. This is not a bad start though. The camera clipping when intersecting geometry is nice to see. I'm glad you didn't rush it out without that.

The fireball spell isn't quite right. The explosion is OK, but is obviously just a modern grenade type explosion and not very fantasy-like. The fireball should be a much larger blazing ball and the explosion should match the fantasy genre.

I tried the character creator briefly and it's not bad so far. The character I made worked in-engine just fine. Obviously more options will be something to strive for in future releases.

All-in-all some welcome improvements so far.
System Specs: OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 945, 3.0Ghz, RAM - 8Gb DDR3, GFX Card - 2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640, FPSC-R Version - Beta 1.0085
Disturbing 13
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2015 05:51
I agree completely but need to add one thing- cam left and right adjustments right under camera height is needed. This way an over the shoulder 3rd person could be possible. This would also need the aforementioned camera up and down to be available. I do agree; great start.

Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2015 06:16 Edited at: 20th May 2015 06:26
Quote: "there really needs to be a pan viewport option, preferably by holding down the middle mouse button. "

Thank you. I was struggling earlier today with the control scheme. Because I'm so very accustomed to scrolling the camera with the mouse wheel in and out. Especially since I generally am on 3DSMAX before Game Guru when modeling then testing in GG.

I understand Game Guru is striving to be simple and unique but these basic control schemes are standardized because they just simply work well. Ironically enough a ton of video-games use the mouse wheel to move the camera in and out. So its really intuitive and comfortable to have it in place. Its something everyone is used to, if they model or play videogames on the PC.

Quote: "The fireball spell isn't quite right. The explosion is OK, but is obviously just a modern grenade type explosion and not very fantasy-like. The fireball should be a much larger blazing ball and the explosion should match the fantasy genre."

I also noticed that the explosion has a collision to it. If you shoot at your feet and walk towards the explosion you can literally bump into it. I noticed this is the case with pretty much every decal.
i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce 420 GT
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2015 09:57
Good points Tom, you will find a number of these ideas in the next version!
Development Director

TGC Team
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2015 21:46
hmmm rick...

save & load menu?....
Old school FPS fan, DOOM!!! Why GG not working on my AMIGA 500?
PM
nuncio
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2015 06:46
this new version of game guru has caused more crashes in one evening than all the prior versions before. is something unstable in the new build? does anyone have the same problem? GG suddelny crashed without a warning. when i start again it starts and crashes again. sometimes i have a black or a blue screen ?!?

i think the 3rd person and character editor are a nice idea (actually i wouldn't want 3rd person no matter how well it's done in the editor) but why? there are more important problems to fix like performance.

but try looking at the problem like this:
it's really annoying to have so many people who all want something from you and no matter what you do, someone is always unhappy with the results.

i think it's not "fair", not right to compare GG to engines like crytek or unreal and to say GG is weak. i have worked with crytek before i had game guru and you can't really compare because game guru has a totally different focus! of course GG is "weaker" compared to crytek but GG is focused on easy game making and crytek is not.

if you could improve the performance remarkably it would change the whole quality of the games we build. i realized that i'm building my levels around the performance borders of GG

http://www.nuncio-rap.de
intel core i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz; 8GB RAM // NVIDIA GeForce GTX560Ti
AutOmatIc
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, I would love to give my impressions...however, I still as of yet cannot get this build to even run. Have tried everything, still stuck at black/blue screen on loadup. So, no nuncio you're not alone. The previous build would run for me but had keyboard issues (the + and - not resizing brushes), but this one won't even load up. That's after me going through multiple downloads (each 1.3gb) from steam, file verification (at least 6 times already) reboots, scans, disabling firewalls/anti-virus...still nothing. So yea, there is something not quite right here. Guess I'll have to wait for the next patch to see if it's fixed.

They're on the right track, but my opinion is that they should concentrate more on the performance/main program actually running stable for everyone before trying to add all the bells and whistles.
-remember that you are unique, just like everyone else-
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2015 07:20
Quote: "this new version of game guru has caused more crashes in one evening than all the prior versions before. is something unstable in the new build? does anyone have the same problem?"

Its been working perfectly fine for me. Odd...
i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce 420 GT
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2015 20:43
everything so far is good, but I did have a thought, because I have just had a lot of "fun" trying to position a concrete foundation just above terrain height, now it occurred to me that the widget tool could be refined.

If we had a cube shape at the middle of the X,Y and Z handles, between the arrow and the centre point, if we click that then we can use the mouse wheel to Sloooowly move the entity in the X,Y and Z plain. Right click to exit, what I would call "Fine mode"

That would make placement so much easier in detailed scenes. Maybe one to pass onto Lee.
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, AMD HD7870 gfx card.
King Korg Synth, Alesis SR18 Drum Machine, Akai MPX8 sample player, Roland Fantom XA Synth, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2015 21:17
Fear not, we discovered the blue screen freeze issue was related to our use of virtual file mapping, and on slower systems the messaging protocol can find itself in an infinite loop. Ravey assures me that he has not only found the issue, but fixed it and made it available live on Steam right now. Please let me know if this solved the issue, and do keep providing feedback on our shortcomings. I accept we need to look at performance more, but I also want some context as to how many users are experiencing slow downs or whether they feel more FPS/TPC features are required at this stage?
PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2015 21:24 Edited at: 21st May 2015 21:25
my version runs well, although occasionally on the importer i get the blue screen freeze. but it is not too worrisome just not looking forward to resizing all my stuff, but you could make up for that with a lovely inventory system (biggest grin)

on amd6300 cpu
gtx660 2gb
4 ram
an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2015 21:26
polygonal collision is a big thing in causing slow down on my PC, I have had no serious crashes with the new build.... only what I mentioned above with the widget tool.

Also is there anyway the decals can be stopped from rotatiing to player, for example a fire in a fireplace does not need to rotate.

And can we have a toggle to switch off the red screen when the player is injured.

And in the tab tab metrics panel and water ripple,reflection and waves options, that would be good

Apart from that everything works great. Thanks Lee
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, AMD HD7870 gfx card.
King Korg Synth, Alesis SR18 Drum Machine, Akai MPX8 sample player, Roland Fantom XA Synth, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit.
nuncio
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2015 08:33
Quote: "I accept we need to look at performance more, but I also want some context as to how many users are experiencing slow downs"
i would really appreciate, this is the only serious problem i have. if you could improve the management of the resources / processor cores it would be a great leap forward.

btw. the free flight mode was one of the best inventions since i'm a member here.
http://www.nuncio-rap.de
intel core i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz; 8GB RAM // NVIDIA GeForce GTX560Ti
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2015 11:42
free flight is great, allowing exact placement. multi core support is much need, that would speed things up a lot. Who has a single core CPU these days.
mickeyb
Years of Service
User Offline
well i have been a way along time and looking at what has been said .
A lot of things should have been sorted before release .
And some of the reviews on steam one person put just bought it and after 12 minutes
of use its the best game engine i have used ???
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2015 18:34 Edited at: 23rd May 2015 18:34
Quote: "Who has a single core CPU these days."

even my low-end phone has a 64 bit quad core cpu!
MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 18:51:47
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 18:51:47