3rd Party Models/Media Chat / Automatic's Hand Painted Fantasy Elements

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Greetings and salutations all!

In this thread I will show some the models, WIP, and concepts for a model pack I have always wanted to make. Any suggestions, critiques, and requests are always welcome!

I really enjoy the look of some of the hand painted cartoony style games, and so am attempting to do some models in that style (while adding my own bit of craziness in the mix heh).

First model I have done, and submitted to store is a pine tree (hey you can't have a fantasy forest without a pine). Figured it was a good start. I have more to come so stay tuned to this thread!

Questions that I have are:

Do the veteran modelers here suggest higher quality textures, or multiple. For example, this tree has a 2048x2048 texture, and I was wondering if it would be better to use a 1024x1024, or put three texture levels into the pack. Say 2048, 1024, and 512 for each model? Also should I even attempt to use LOD system on medium to low poly models? This tree is only 772 polys and further decimation tends to warp the model and make it look terrible.

Cheers, and happy modeling all!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2015 07:46
Really nice looking tree! I like the gnarled bark texture (very well painted), but, I especially like the contortions of the tree! The shape is fantastic!

I look forward to seeing more of this pack.

Great work.

Cheers

Jay.

Automatica
Years of Service
User Offline
@unfamillia thanks so much! Yea I have a ton of stuff to finish and add for sure, more trees, rocks, plants, and other sundry items as I get the chance. Really dig your stuff too, nice and clean!
PM
AutOmatIc
Years of Service
User Offline
Dropping this one on the store for free, it's similar to my other one, but different shape/textures. More stuff coming soon!
-remember that you are unique, just like everyone else-

Attachments

PM
AutOmatIc
Years of Service
User Offline
Preview of one of my new plants been working on...uploading to store soon! Feedback welcome and appreciated. About 100 polys, 1024x1024 texture.

Attachments

PM
AutOmatIc
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, had an issue with the collision on the free pine, working on fixing it. Sorry bout that all...but will have it up soon! In the meantime, just dropped 2 more ferns on the store (I know not that exciting, but I'm slowly getting the hang of this whole modeling/animating thing) more to come! Cheers!

AutO

Attachments

PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2015 19:29
Well done work!

-Wolf
"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"
"absurdity has become necessity"
AutOmatIc
Years of Service
User Offline
@Wolf Thanks so much! Your stuff has always been a source of inspiration for me since back in the FPS creator days for sure man, keep up the fantastic work yourself!
PM
teamhalo
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Gears of War 4
Posted: 11th Jun 2015 16:54
Fantastic work, you can really see the effort you put into the textures. I missed you first post when you initially created this thread, so I'll respond to you question - as a modeler for Game Guru and FPSC before, I've found that the engine prefers single large textures. I build all my assets using a texture atlas system, usually 4096x4096 or 2048x2048, and work from there. Cheers

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 03:50:58
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 03:50:58