Product Chat / problem with a custom media object, maybe it's the texture

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2015 00:48 Edited at: 18th May 2015 10:58
hi there!
i'm working on my tunnel map and the tunnel model i have makes the game run awfully slow again. in the FPE file i saw that the texture of the object i'm using is coming from a jpg file. oldlarry told me that this is not good because a dds file would be better for this.
the model (x file) was from the forum. i loaded the x model into gg and selected a texture i had as a jpg file. the object was saved and works in game guru with this texture i chose. now when i insert objects it becomes really slow, worse than the usual so i think it might be a problem of the texture coming from a jpg file.
what do you think, might this be the problem? i can show you the fpe file of the very object i'm using.

when the problem really is the texture can you help me make a dds texture? i have a texture on jpg wich is okfor this and i do have the needed plugins for GIMP to do that i just don't know how to do it at all...
http://www.nuncio-rap.de
intel core i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz; 8GB RAM // NVIDIA GeForce GTX560Ti
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2015 05:18
Open the texture in GIMP, click File<Export as, and either select DDS from the drop down list or change the file name extension to dds. If you want the file compressed, choose DXT1 from the pop up box (if there is no transparency in the model), or DXT3 or DXT5 if there is transparency.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I doubt the issue is the texture, although you will be better off using a DDS. It is more likely the collision type. Some objects really slow GG down when using polygonal collision. You can normally fix it by setting it to a different value (eg box rather than polygon) but that can cause a tunnel for instance to become unnavigable. Still, if you try setting collision to 0 in the FPE you will soon find if it is that causing the slowdown.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2015 16:27
Or perhaps it's a high poly count tunnel.

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 8.1 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
nuncio
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2015 18:30 Edited at: 17th May 2015 18:31
hi! Thanks for your replies! i have changed the texture into a .dds file and set the collision mode to 0. i saw that i already had a dds file but in the FPE it referred to an jpg file so i changed that too. i will give it a try now...
oh not good. when i set the collision mode to 0 i can't enter the tunnel anymore...
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2015 18:38
Quote: " You can normally fix it by setting it to a different value (eg box rather than polygon) but that can cause a tunnel for instance to become unnavigable. Still, if you try setting collision to 0 in the FPE you will soon find if it is that causing the slowdown."

Take a look to this thread: https://forum.game-guru.com/outbound?url=https%3A%2F%2Fforum.game-guru.com%2Fthread%2F211923

HTH

3com

OS: Windows 8.1 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
nuncio
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2015 18:44
when the collision mode is on 1 again it works. with the dds texture i imagine to feel a little improvement. the framerate goes from 50 to 170 all the time... when i come to a corner it becomes very slow.
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2015 21:35
Can we get a screen shot of the detail in this tunnel? I made an extensive tunnel system for a client and did not have these issues.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

nuncio
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2015 21:54
actually it's not really running awfully slow yet but i did not put in many objects yet. i just found out that every time i strafe to the side it slows down. the rest of the time the frame rate is high and the game looks good. i'm not realy sure what's wrong with this model ? the boxes are static and there is no lightmapping yet

Attachments

Login to view attachments
nuncio
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2015 22:25
i just did a lightmapping just to see what happens and now it feels like the slowing down has become better. how could this be possible? i thought lightmapping slows it down even more?!?!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2015 22:26 Edited at: 17th May 2015 22:32
Hi nuncio

Wow ...You don't do things by half do you

How about those pipes ...where did they come from ?
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
nuncio
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2015 23:16
thanks the pipes are from a scifi collection from the free area i guess. it was in a sci fi pack that i guess came from before 'reloaded'
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok ... firstly the screenshots look amazing ..... and it is a huge map for starters by the look of it.
Going by the pictures the reason I asked about the pipes is because they looked familiar ( Maybe one of cosmics free sets ) but if your using loads of older models have you checked the collisions on those and updated the fpe's for them ?

Its possible one of those older models may be dragging the fps down when you walk to the sides .
You could try saving the map as " Test 1 " or similar and removing some of the older models in a section that you say slows down.
see if it makes a difference to the fps .
PM
nuncio
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2015 09:05
thank you well the map is not that huge i already made much bigger ones. it's a rather small map for my standards but it's really packed with objects and the tunnel system is really challenging. i'm kinda sure that you're right and it's from a cosmic prophet free set or something like that!
i have a lot of old models and i use them but i have done nothing on them yet, not at all. i have to change the collision mode in the fpe's? what collosion mode do the old models have, what collision mode is wrong and causing the slow down? what must be the right collision mode i have to chose?
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
If its just scenery objects (static pipes, machinery etc ) then setting collisionmode = 0 should be fine ..
As long as its nothing you need to walk through like a door way or anything like that ..
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, I did warn you it may stop the tunnel being navigable . As Synchromesh says as you have other objects in there it is likely one or several of those are causing the slowdown. It is a collision issue on high poly models. I would certainly check each item, deliberately walk into things and look for when it slows down. The gargoyle from the Asylum pack and a few other items (skull, bloodied axe,candle stick etc) used to display this issue. Probably still do, it definitely sounds like the issue from here.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2015 16:43
Or turn there physics off on the pipes. The walls will control the required AI physic to keep the player and the AI in check.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2015 17:24
@ nuncio
Did you tried just a tunnel in a blank map?
If it work fine, so add the wall and pipes, and so on, till you get the guilty.

3com

PM
nuncio
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2015 17:37
hi! turning off the physics and changing the collision mode sounds like areally good point. before i did this i made a blank map with the tunnel system and when i strafe around the corner it still slows a little. not really bad, really not! but recognizable any ideas? why does this problem feel much better after lightmapping?
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "why does this problem feel much better after lightmapping?"

Light mapping for me makes my levels much smoother and faster also
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2015 21:45
Perhaps realtime use most resources then baked one?
Maybe engine has to re-calculate over and over light and shadows, but baked one work with pre-made ones.
Just my though.

3com

PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 20:03:13
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 20:03:13