3rd Party Models/Media Chat / Wondering how many would be interested in a $$ photoshop CG tutorial... for creating scifi textures.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2015 13:32
Hey you guys, I am back again. I am on my summer break and now that I have some free time apart from work I have the ability to get back to work on some projects of mine.

Anyways, I have had the idea of creating a scifi texturing tutorial for a long time but have never really gotten around to doing a quality one. People have always asked me how I create such textures like the one shown below, and I think a tutorial of sorts to create such textures would seem pretty desirable (for a price). I think I have even mentioned making one a few times before...

I plan the tutorial to be part of a package of media that you can use (with the right software) right out of the box and get going immediately learning how to create said textures. By that, I mean I will create a custom set of photoshop brushes for the tutorial, some images such as grunge maps, and of course texture bakes to go along with the videos. Much more than just this too.

Think of it as a "kit".

I will also touch on some essential texturing skills, dos and donts, etc. in the videos. In terms of quality I plan on these being HD so you all can see the fine details. Price depends on the amount of work that I have to put into this, but think in the range of 35-55 dollars (look at some of the other tutorials on Eat3D before you scream).

I have much more to say but I am still sort of in the planning stage at the moment.

I think its about time I created such a tutorial and I think it could be really beneficial to taking your texturing skills to the next level! Anyway, I just wanted to see how many of you would be interested in such a project, and give me any feedback and tips on how to make it the best tutorial package possible.
[/href]
Duncan Peck
Years of Service
User Offline
A tutorial on how to do this in gimp would be worth watching for me. I refuse to buy Photoshop when it costs so much and GIMP can do it for free.
PM
TazMan
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2015 15:22
I don't know if it any use to you Duncan but you can get Photoshop CS2 for free, it is what I use.
HP Pavilion Laptop, AMD A8-4555M APU with Radeon(tm) Graphics HD Graphics 1.6GHz, 8GB Memory, 64 Bit Operating System (Windows 8.1), 1 TB Hard Drive.

I've got something to say - It's better to burn out than fade away.
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2015 16:14
Do you means "Adobe Photoshop CS2 Tryout" ?
If so, is it a trial version/time limited?
I've searching in adobe about cs2, but there is not much, since them are too buzy now, promoting CS6.
Anyway I'm downloading it, right now.

@ Hamburger
Nice texture guy
No too fan with video tutos, prefer pdf ones, since English is not my firt lang, and usually lost with videos, but pdf I can translate some words if needed, also I can print the most relevant info.

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 8.1 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2015 19:02 Edited at: 19th May 2015 19:03
Quote: "A tutorial on how to do this in gimp would be worth watching for me. I refuse to buy Photoshop when it costs so much and GIMP can do it for free."

Although gimp is a widely used and good program, I will probably stick to photoshop because it is the standard when it comes to making textures in the industry. Plus, a lot of photoshop's commands and operations can be done inside gimp! The only issues that gimp has is the lack of the ability to edit brush attributes (that I know of...), unless they have came out with a newer version with more capabilities. If you want to get photoshop for cheaper, just buy and older version - they are not really any different from each other in terms of capability. By that I mean CS2 will probably work just as good for making textures as CS6.

Quote: "I don't know if it any use to you Duncan but you can get Photoshop CS2 for free, it is what I use."

I can recall Adobe releasing free downloads of older software back in the day because of their licenseing servers going out or glitching, thus ending their support or updates. You might be able to find it on their site still.

Quote: "Nice texture guy
No too fan with video tutos, prefer pdf ones, since English is not my firt lang, and usually lost with videos, but pdf I can translate some words if needed, also I can print the most relevant info.

3com
"

Thanks for the praise 3com!

I am aware of the pdf method but the only thing that I get weary about when making such a tutorial is that it can be harder to demonstrate some steps in the texturing process. With a video you could literally watch me texture away and mimic my actions. Not saying it is a bad idea, but it might mean I have to take a different approach to this project. Right now I am still set on the video method but I may add subtitles that can be translated into different languages. I still have too many ideas

Thanks guys for giving some feedback, any more is appreciated! The more the better for me...
[/href]
Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2015 00:08 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2015 00:21
Just finished a little something perhaps for this project, still need to see how many people would like such a tutorial though otherwise this will probably just go forth towards continuing scifi textures 3.0...

Hope everyone has had a great day with making media!

[/href]

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 08:39:08
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 08:39:08