Product Chat / trigger zones and win zones are too sensitive

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2015 01:55
hi there! i have a new problem.
i have a trigger zone OR a win zone in the 2nd floor of a house. i must go thru the first floor and when i'm right unter the trigger spot it triggers although i'm not there yet. i tried lifting the triggerzone up but it doesn't have any effect, it always triggers when i walk under it.
i had this on three maps now.
http://www.nuncio-rap.de
intel core i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz; 8GB RAM // NVIDIA GeForce GTX560Ti
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2015 02:56
As stated in past posts, triggers and winzones operate from terrain up to infinity. No matter where you cross that border, it will trigger.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi nuncio

Yes this has been reported previously .... I will see if there is any updates on the situation ....
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2015 09:33
trigger levels need to be movable up and down, or assign an entity to trigger, I know that is possible.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi nuncio

Not a perfect fix yet but just spoke to Errant A.I who suggested putting your triggerzone on the lower level and on the second level maiking that area inaccessible .... sectioned off by a wall for example ,fencing , boxes etc.....Not perfect for now but workable

Hope that might help
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Errant AI
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2015 09:44 Edited at: 26th Apr 2015 09:46
Having an option for vertical range on zones would be nice. In lieu of that, don't use a zone in those situations.... Use a dynamic entity with a radius check or direct activation if the above suggestion isn't feasable.
Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3, Intel Core i7 2600K, 16GB Corsair DDR3, EVGA GTX 970 SC, Win7 Pro 64-bit SP1, Primary monitor @ 1920x1080, secondary monitor @ 1024x1280
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
You could get round this by writing a basic script that uses distance to trigger the event. That way, as long as you place it in the doorway and it is sufficiently small it will not trigger when you go underneath it.

Attach that to any object or decal, place it where you want to trigger the event. Obviously the above code does nothing as is, you will have to add whatever you want to happen within the if statement. As an example you could use JumpToLevel("level2") to go to a new level or FinishLevel() to end it. I often do this and hardly ever use zones at all myself. It gives you the opportunity to add other things such as a message asking you if you wish to travel to the new zone.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "You could get round this by writing a basic script that uses distance to trigger the event. That way, as long as you place it in the doorway and it is sufficiently small it will not trigger when you go underneath it."

i agree however that gives a spherical result, zones are great because you can customise the area very nicely (not always needed but it's very handy when it is)
i would personally combine the 2 and adjust the script to take the y position into account like so
plrinzone.lua

winzone.lua

i made the range as specific as i could while still allowing you to crouch and trigger the zone

in the video the first 2 zones are at ground height to test normal and crouching and the third is on the roof of the house (pressing enter in editor to snap it to the roof, stretched to cover the entire roof) - it might be a little hard to hear but it triggers when i land.

hopefully it'll help until it gets a real fix
life\'s one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, geforce gtx460, directx 11
nuncio
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2015 19:08
in my opinion it's okay in some cases i can easily make the lower level unaccessable but in one case i have no alternative choice because of the architecture! i want to use this in the wonderful oil platform from the freebie area. take a look at the screenshot i attached, there you see the platform. the building with the helicopter on top is where i come out of the basement. the helicopter is the win zone. so the goal of the game is to get on the roof of that building over the two wooden planks you can see on the right side of the building. the problem is that i trigger the win zoine when i stand under the helicopter in the grey bunker. so there i can't "cheat" and the whole level would become useless.

i exactly need what you show in your video!
thank you very much for the help with script but i fell unable to even understand how i have to use it. when looking at the picture can you tell me how to use the script you wrote? where do i have to put it in? in the win zone? see, i still don't understand coding at all

Attachments

Login to view attachments
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
if you havent changed the default winzone script then open it in notepad and replace it with mine - the basic functionality of it is all still there so it will work as it did before, you just need to be at the same height as it now.

the other script (plrinzone.lua) is for trigger zones
life\'s one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, geforce gtx460, directx 11
nuncio
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2015 19:56
hi! i just tried that and it's working!!!!! i made both trigger and win zones new.
sometimes when the ground is not really flat i put the win- or trigger zones a little higher, some pixels. does it still work then?
this is really a big help and totally solves my problem iguess. thank you very much !!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 21:17:07
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 21:17:07