Product Chat / Please Fix the Lighting

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Lights fading in and out due to proximity of the player and to each other is something that seriously needs to be fixed. I should never see on screen the fading of lights due to how close I am to them. This was never a problem with fpsc x9, and most certainly not a problem for modern gen games/game engines. It has been annoying me for quite some time, and is only getting worse with the fact the rest of the engine is starting to come together so nicely.
SgtBrown5
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2015 05:06 Edited at: 24th Apr 2015 05:50
Those are dynamic lights you are using and Direct x 9 will only show 8 at a time. Placed static light can be placed and a F3 light map performed on them to allow you to see them in test game.

Use the static lights to fill the space with the color you want. Never use the full pure color, bring the saturation down and the lamination and turn up the range. The default seem to be as bright a porch light

As lighting in a WIP, more advancements will be available in time. But it is getting better every update even.
Settings

Static lights after F4 lightmap. The one on the right is 100 off the ground with a range of 1500 half red and is about 450
units away from those walls, the next one to the left is 100 off the ground 1000 half purple, and is around 350 units away from that wall. the next ones going left are 700 mid green, 600 mid yellow, 500 Default pure white. those cubes are the 50 x 50 ones from the fixtures library.

so crank up the range vales on these and raise them off the floors a little. try to get it so the corners of where you trying to light are still dark. adds to the scene.

This last one I can see the sun light and the light above it cast there own separate shadows now. This is pleasing and makes me want to open some of my scenes and play with lighting for a week.

I just had to post this one also, cause it gets better with each update.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2015 19:54
never played with the lighting that much, how do you change from dynamic to static, i presume the same as an entity, and as I use pickup and carry script does this effect lightmapping. ????
SgtBrown5
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks man. I assumed they started as static. Never thought to look
SgtBrown5
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2015 01:00 Edited at: 25th Apr 2015 01:04
Yes, Set most of your lights to static as atmosphere, and use dynamic lights to draw attention to areas of interest. Dynamic lights can also be scripted to flicker, be used with a switch and stuff like that.

Lights are dynamic by default and you can press the Y key to turn them static. What I do is set one, change its properties, set at a height I want, then extract and use the shift LMB to set a bunch of them.

Then after that play with the settings in the Matrices (tab tab) and adjust there. Remember you wont see static lights in test game until you do a F3 or F4 light map.

When your ready to test your light map, save your map, then save a copy called Light mapped, then perform the light mapping, keeping the unlit mapped one for real time working. saving it as that copy to light map it after you sets some lights in real time mode.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2015 11:17 Edited at: 25th Apr 2015 11:18
great i will play with the lights more while waiting for 00.28 to be released. I have used the flicker script and it does work really well. gameguru just keeps getting better and better… thanks myke
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2015 21:22
I limited dynamic lights to FOUR in the shader for performance reasons, so the 'fading' is a way to smooth the transitions between them. I suggest using them sparingly for things like lights in doorways / torches at key points in your game scene for effect. Use static lights for everything else, of which you can have as many as you want when combined with light mapping.
PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 08:47:02
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 08:47:02