Product Chat / Will making a game like this be possible in the future ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2015 20:04 Edited at: 9th Apr 2015 21:01
Hi All,

Total noob here!

I've never considered making a game before, but this community is cool and so is the software...so I may have 1 idea I want to try. While I've never made a game, I've been a gamer since mmo pvp first came online - came in 2nd with my team in one of the first major pvp tournaments too and was agm of that guild! ( the winners cheated but that's life lol ) , so I know what I'd like in a game as a player. My main gig is making music, I also started to learn animation about 5 years ago to make music videos for my releases. i have the content and software to make it...( ie - iclone, poser game dev, modo, 3dcoat etc ) I'm looking for new interesting ways to deliver music, and thought a cool game that i can update and add new music or even stream dj sets through would be an interesting way to promote.

I wanted to know if this will be possible in the future.

it's a basic one level pvp game - based on Dungeons and dragons style pvp - but with some fps to it... my goal is to add more strategy than twitch gaming .....basically you win because you had a good strategy not because you had the best internet connection....

it's a magic fight - 4 modes ...1 vs 1 - 4 vs 4 , ffa or player(s) vs ai

customizable character stats - old school - str, dex, intelligence, charisma, mana type stats - if possible alignments - ie - neutral, evil , good, chaotic ..and all mixes in between
with characters like sorcerer, barbarian, archer, cleric, mesmer etc ....

one level arena - with vantage and hiding points....

characters can use special equipment, like cloak of invisibility, magic wand +3, rings of various boosts.
the characters come onto a playing field , filled with npcs' and one boss character .... ie a fire breathing dragon....
a skill bar of about 10 skills that can be selected by the player - the first 5 offensive - the 2nd 5 protective skills with a heal.
all with cool down timers - to increase the strategy and lessen the twitch aspect of game play. Yes, I'd make things different to not infringe on d&d copyrights.

when they walk into an arena, there are npcs - both good and evil ( which in turn react to the alignment of the character...so if a character is evil, the evil npcs are more likely to align with them and not attack them, although friendly fire is possible....but for the most part the npc's would add an element of strategy and surprise to the playing field ..... you can wear a cloak of invisibility to lessen the chance of being attacked by the npc - but are also to prone to taking more damage when you are attacked ( basic d&d concepts ) - the boss character is neutral and attacks everyone without prejudice.

The spells have physics - where I can cast a lightning bolt at a wall to have it bounce off the wall and hit a character ...
I can also cast on prop like a rock pile near my opponent and have the rocks fall on him causing damage.

I'd also want the spells to be particle eye candy - ( where the music gets intense and the whole fight is pure eye candy / flashing lights ) - so when a wizard / sorcerer(ess ) attacks - the whole screen lights up / flashes ( like diablo 1 and their sorcerer ...best lightning bolts i've ever seen in a pvp game )

I'd like to build the game once - then create different terrains and npc's to create variety, and of course change the music tracks to promote new releases ...maybe even add music video cut scenes lol

The math would generally be the same for all skill bars.....but instead of a bouncing bolt, it could be a bouncing arrow, or a bouncing hammer ....or a bouncing dagger = so it's not like I'd have to redo the math for every character - plus the character skill stats and equipment modifiers would create the diversity.
then loot and an in-game ladder system maybe ?

I know it's more complicated than it seems, because of rolling dice / random values and modifiers....and there's more to this idea - but I think this gives the general direction of what I'd like to do...
I know game guru isn't there now as it is more fps based at the moment...but are there any plans to create tools to make a game like this possible ?

Cheers,

Ricky
PM
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: around
Posted: 9th Apr 2015 22:57 Edited at: 9th Apr 2015 23:00
Let me put it this way:

It will be principally possible to make a game like you described IN THE FUTURE - with every decent engine.

And it will also be hard, tricky and time consuming - with every decent engine.

You'll find people here who will tell you to have patience and one day GG will have the necessary foundations for your kind of game. But you'll find those people also on the forums for Unity, Leadwerks, AGFPRO and most other engines too.

The question is not if GG will have the necessary features, the question is which engine you trust to invest your own time and effort into for a future that may or may not happen.

But my personal advice on the matter would be to find a kind of game that can already be developed with a major engine and start there, be it GG or not.
In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2015 22:58
I see this all as very possible in the future. and most of it is planned for. Check out the script board, they have some really decent stuff going on there to try out. that may get you started in the direction you are headed.

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
that's very specifc requirements and while GG may well get less restrictive it's still going to require a lot of work on your part to do it, you're certainly going to need to script in your own rules and attacks etc (and there's likely not enough commands yet for all of what you desire), plus get the models and animations...
the main thing is the time commitment you would need to create all the content to put into your game, it's doable but using GG wouldnt really help you anymore than any other engine in this case.
life\'s one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, geforce gtx460, directx 11
noob-i-am
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you, yeah - i'm not ready to go headstrong with it in something bigger like unity - plus with GG I'd already be hosted with the steam community - so it aligns with my goals of reaching the gaming audience with music and art - if it could be something in the vicinity of my idea ...that would be cool because then I'd enjoy it as a rpg/pvp gamer as well without having to become an all out game developer. - my brain is going to explode as is from all the tutorials i had to learn to make animations, in addition to starting up a new indie label in the digital internet era.

keep up the great work guys, much inspiration in this site

Cheers

PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
well you could certainly add your own level and experience data but other than affecting HP and maybe ammo or weapon types there's not really much you can do with it, plus the npc's (they can't kill each other yet but certainly possible to make them kill players and pick sides)

you just can't really be specific about skills and such yet
you could maybe learn to create your own weapons with spell type effects, there was a video from tattiebojangles showing some different effects but it seems he's removed that now and i havent seen anything else like it yet
there's no feedback for specific weapon kills or when the player fires etc so no real way to do cooldowns by default as far as i know.
life\'s one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, geforce gtx460, directx 11
noob-i-am
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm in, downloading software as we speak.

I'm not determined to make that game, it was just that 1 game I'd love to play as a long time pvp'r and was curious how possible it was to make with gg.

One thing I do hope for in the future though, I have a nice selection 3D tools for making characters and animations for videos and such, but my main formats are fbx, bvh and obj ....I'd really like to use some of my own characters - wings3D exports to x but it seems gg is more about using the built in characters and animation ? I couldn't find a manual to answer this.

I'm still new at animation, but having fun with it...and think now with making simple games - i think it will be a fun way to market new song releases. I have gone very far to find innovative ways to promote music, fortunately I'm a gamer/geek too so it's been a fun adventure yet a non stop barrage of tutorials, hence my hesitation to make games.....but the community here seems quite supportive, so that is encouraging!

I have a few songs that would be perfect for a zombie game

this is my last video made with iclone ( not the zombie track though! )
[video=youtube]https://youtu.be/2u4otGlrTRM[/video]

and this is a zombie track!
[href=https://play.spotify.com/track/0RzclbRkw2ZeLMilB5J2Ru]
https://play.spotify.com/track/0RzclbRkw2ZeLMilB5J2Ru[/href]

PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2015 05:16
Quote: " it seems gg is more about using the built in characters and animation ? I couldn't find a manual to answer this."

You can make and use your own characters and animations; there's a bit of a learning curve though, and there really aren't any manuals as of yet! They will come, I'm sure, before this thing is in it's final release state. Just look around the forums here, and ask questions as you need. I'm certainly no expert, but there are plenty of them around here who are willing to help when they can!
MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
noob-i-am
Years of Service
User Offline
thank you, understood, I've been searching the forum all day for info....I started doing a bit more research on lua scripting - ....my brain...my poor poor brain! i may stick to shooting zombies for a few with basic level design while i learn the program. I'm sure I can learn lua, but i don't think i can give up any more sleep than I already do to keep up with everything else i'm doing lol.

Cheers
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2015 16:54
Quote: " I'm sure I can learn lua, but i don't think i can give up any more sleep than I already do to keep up with everything else i'm doing lol. "

I know exactly what you mean

About your question: In theorie: sure...in reality: not likely. For a game like that you'd need a team and a ton of time and dedication. I'd say you better design a fantasy game with a rich short-story and simpler gameplay to accompany it. That would work just fine. Make it a 3d adventure...like the penumbra series

-Wolf
"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"
"absurdity has become necessity"
79% Sale on my latest Scifi Modelpack. Get it here!
noob-i-am
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks for the suggestion!

Looking it up now! yeah, I need a simple path, - even the story telling may be much for me lol ( I'm a songwriter also, making stuff up can become a task after a while too lol! ) I'm a huge fan of guildwars 2 - I looove their artwork, I was thinking of making artsy type environments with simple mechanics. I have a large library of props and 3D type stuff, plus I learned a little modeling in my animation adventures. I'm thinking more interactive art, than a full blown game...

if I had the budget to hire a game dev team, the game I described in my first post, is the one I'd like to make, that is unless the game gurus makes those scripts for me to make it myself!

Cheers!
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 07:55:26
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 07:55:26