Product Chat / Player's Hands

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I seem to recall there was a debate about this at some point. Artists who are making new weapons have remodeled the player's hands (with gloves, sleeves, etc.). I think it's a shame. It just seems unrealistic. You wouldn't instantly change your clothing and get/remove a tattoo every time you changed weapons. I find the break in continuity quite jarring.
Julian
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2015 17:23
It would be nice to see the player's hands when disarmed, so it would look more realistic, such as pushing a door or closet.

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 8.1 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2015 17:59
Better yet to be able to choose the style of arms you want for your game and keep them with any weapon pickup.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Decoverse
Years of Service
User Offline
My challenge has been the lack of diversity in the hands. There should always be a female option, and at least 4 skin tones. Also, at least 2 glove colors, black, and white. Doesn't make sense to have a winter scene with black gloved hands.
HarlsonRS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2015 18:36 Edited at: 9th Apr 2015 18:38
that got to my attention as well,

i guess that´s because for the "basic" GG there are "more or less" 2 main themes: modern and medieval ... and medieval is supposed to be everything that´s not a fireweapon

i agree that´s weird if you use "mixed" weapons for your game, but i am sure that will change and is some kind of a placeholder at moment
especially with the upcoming character builder, it would be logical to me that this will include definition as player character for a certain model....should solve it all
PM
TazMan
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2015 09:56
@lordjulian
Quote: " I think it's a shame. It just seems unrealistic. You wouldn't instantly change your clothing "

That probably wasn't what the artist was thinking when they created the new arms, for instance I am thinking of creating new arms (If I can work it out) for the civil war pack I am putting together. This is because I think it might be nice to have arms that suit the battle scene.
HP Pavilion Laptop, AMD A8-4555M APU with Radeon(tm) Graphics HD Graphics 1.6GHz, 8GB Memory, 64 Bit Operating System (Windows 8.1), 1 TB Hard Drive.

I've got something to say - It's better to burn out than fade away.
Decoverse
Years of Service
User Offline
I wouldn't hold my breath on 'character builder.' Anyone remember 'character shop?'

http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2094

That was a big disappointment. Never really got any support from TGC on that one.

I have edited the textures of hands to suit my needs before, but it would be nice if people would create packs and weapons that show more than just middle-aged male Caucasians as heroes. IMHO
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2015 18:07
Errant AI had a large selection of skin colors and female hand textures in his MP9&10 gunpacks...they are still out for sale and shouldn't be too hard to get into GameGuru.

Quote: "Artists who are making new weapons have remodeled the player's hands (with gloves, sleeves, etc.). I think it's a shame."

The hands have not been remodeled as the player does not have any default hands. The artists have made their guns from scratch which is why they look different depending on the artist. There is little to no way around this. Nothing has been remodeled, the stock guns are just as much a "modelpack" as any guns you would purchase.

Quote: "It just seems unrealistic. You wouldn't instantly change your clothing and get/remove a tattoo every time you changed weapons. I find the break in continuity quite jarring."

There have been numerous FPSC users who mixed modelpacks in the old days... I and some other users have been unforgiving enough about this that the trend eventually ceised. Guru is easy to use but that does not mean without effort. You will have to learn the basics of texturing, rigging and modeling eventually if you aim to make a decent game with your own media. You will then have to rely on the handrig from the artist of your choosing and rerig all guns that haven't been made by this artist. Rigging guns to hands, if the necessary animations are present, is remarkably easy.

Here is a tutorial video.

Quote: "It would be nice to see the player's hands when disarmed, so it would look more realistic, such as pushing a door or closet."

There is an FPSC modelpack with those animations. Modelpack 54. You will have to handle the scripts and set this up yourself though. Asking for this to be an in-editor drag'n'drop feature is a little much.

Quote: "My challenge has been the lack of diversity in the hands. There should always be a female option, and at least 4 skin tones. "

See above. This has also never been the norm in 3d modeling. Rigs have usually been sold separately and for a lot more than the FPSC guns. I write this out because people who are new to gamedeveloping likely have little to no idea how priviliged we are these days when it comes to assets.

As far as skin tones are concerned or female hands: Retexturing an already premade texture is really easy and I don't see how that should be a must to be added to the already large workload of modeling and animating a custom guns. Retexturing male arms doesn't look too great either...if you want a female handrig, you'd have to buy one as women tend to have different looking hands than male commandos.

Quote: " Doesn't make sense to have a winter scene with black gloved hands."

It does not. Here is a nice winter camo-pattern. Happy texturing!

Quote: "especially with the upcoming character builder, it would be logical to me that this will include definition as player character for a certain model....should solve it all"

Character models have lowerpolygon arms and the animations would be inferior to rigged FPS hands. The player camera is not a character (you can attach one to the camera but that is unrelated). This also means that the character creator is not related to the playerguns. (characters use an entirely different model for each gun)

Quote: "Anyone remember 'character shop?' "

I don't know this for certain but I believe this has not been made by TGC members but by a community member and has only been sold via TGC. Why did it disappoint you?

Quote: "but it would be nice if people would create packs and weapons that show more than just middle-aged male Caucasians as heroes. IMHO"

Like I said! EAI's old packs had all kinds of variations and have been the most used weapons in FPSC back then. Artists choose to create "middle-aged male Caucasian" arms because they sell the best and are easiest to work off. Its easier to design a black, female assassin wih tattoos and scars from an almost uncolored texture than revert back from that to something else... Not sure if I expressed that in the best way but I hope you understand.

The main character of my game is a woman and it was not too timeconsuming to set that up.

In conclusion: The amount of stuff available on the market (not just here) is really a golden age for us indies. Purchased assets are a well developed base to work off and create your own ideas without the detailed technical knowledge...they aren't done out of the box for anyone who seriously wants to design his own game.

-Wolf
"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"
"absurdity has become necessity"
79% Sale on my latest Scifi Modelpack. Get it here!
Decoverse
Years of Service
User Offline
My post was more of a poke at the modelling community, not TGC. I never for a second thought that TGC was responsible for making this happen. Although, a little encouragement from them would help. As I've said, I've retextured a few before. It's not very difficult. However, female hands and arms really need remodeling to look good.

As for character shop, I think the community as a whole has been asking for a better documented process on getting custom characters imported. I've even seen some of the 'pros' here express frustration with the process. I myself am more of a designer, and coder. In the past I've spent a fair amount of money to have a modeller create custom characters for me. I can easily say that most of my cost was for their time to get the character into FPSC, and functioning correctly. I'm hoping this will be remedied with GameGuru, and the new attitude around it. Cheers!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 07:17:26
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 07:17:26