Product Chat / exported standalones unnecessarily large

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2015 20:02
alright, i just exported 2 levels for testing level to level transition... i then realised that both standalone levels are nearly equally large... My "complete" city level,which uses tons of buildings, plants and what not has a volume of 923 MB, while the second one, a small safehouse (basically 1 room with some furniture, not much really) is at 909 MB ...

so i got curious at how those both could be nearly equally huge, so i went through the files folders of both stand alones...

solution: in many cases (funny enough not all) it seems like the standalone version has ALL entities from the GG entity folder in it, or (i gotta doublecheck) the small level has all entities from the big one in it...

i tend to believe the latter, because it appeared to me that if you switch between different levels in editor (means, you work on one, save it, load another, work on it, and so forth) , that GG doesn´t clean the memory, which means it takes over data from your previous work... it became most obvious to me when i loded a flat new level and for some reason the terrain textures of my previous work were still there, even after doing "new flat" several times...

also after a long day of working on several things, the memory of my PC seems to be under quite some load...

so, all in all i guess memory management is not really optimal... i´m really no expert, so all i can say is based on my observation and guessing
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2015 20:35 Edited at: 8th Apr 2015 20:36
I do not see that. All of the one I have saved have just what I put in them. Textures are pretty large and if this is as big as you say, then they can add up. and the lightmap file could be a bunch them selves. so there are a few factors involved in the files sizes.

But the whole GG structure should not be going over here. Is there a zip file or large movies included?
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2015 22:22
Over 900MB for 1 Level?
I never had more than 50-60MB with lightmaps, without, normal size is around 5-10MB.
Old school FPS fan, DOOM!!! Why GG not working on my AMIGA 500?
PM
HarlsonRS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2015 00:22 Edited at: 9th Apr 2015 00:39
as i already mentioned, i compared both folders and went through all subfolder...with the "entities" folder being the biggest in BOTH cases... and even so the small one is an apartement with a few furnitures, as mentioned as well, both include like all properties that i own (or at least those that i used in the city map, which is quite alot)... (not characters though, there is just one soldier character although this one has been removed from the level .. before )

it´s as i said: it appears to me that when i opened the City, exported it, and loaded the Apartement, the memory (or GG in that case) "transfered" the properties (and other things) from the huge one over to the small, even if they aren´t on the map... *shrug*

that´s what it looks like... and no, i don´t have any movies or stuff like that at all ...

edit: i have 2 almost empty standalones as well, in which i tested "go from level 1 to level 2" which both ONLY include ONE barrel as a reference point, ONE player spawn and ONE winzone.... BOTH test levels (standalone of course) are 305MB ...

"gamecore" 100+ MB and "effects bank" about 50 are the largest here... so i don´t know how you get a level to under 100 when even the game core is over 100 MB with almost nothing in the level...

no offense, i can just talk about what i see on my hard drive
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I never had more than 50-60MB with lightmaps, without, normal size is around 5-10MB."

he's talking about standalone, not fpm
life\'s one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, geforce gtx460, directx 11
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2015 17:18
Clean cache may help?

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 8.1 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
HarlsonRS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2015 18:52
of course... i could clean the cache now and then or restart my PC every 10 minutes... but i just hoped someone would have an idea WHY this happens (and discuss WHAT actually happens) also if someone has observerd similar things...and i guess it might be something that´s of interest to TGC.

but for now i´ll check out the new update
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2015 22:50
Can you post said standalone game on Dropbox or something we could take a look at and see what is going on.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

HarlsonRS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2015 00:30
urmh...never used dropbox before, but i´ll take a look... i´ll let you know here
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2015 01:45
Odd. As I would assume all textures that are the same would only require 1 texture being saved over. Perhaps there is a bug creating many textures for each model (that is using the same texture).
i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce 420 GT
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2015 07:23
Hmm...
So not only the fpm we are talking about... Hmmm ....
I have checked one of my standalone levels (don't call it game, still far from a complete game), yes, the complete folder is .... Big... Large... Huge... Whatever... The size of all files is over 470mb, which is really much, coz it's only 1 level...
Old school FPS fan, DOOM!!! Why GG not working on my AMIGA 500?
PM
AceRimmer
Reviewed GameGuru on Steam
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: classic British heavy metal mostly
Posted: 19th Apr 2015 22:47
This is happening to me as well.
I saved a map with NOTHING in it apart from a player start and a winzone, and got 150mb of files in the standalone.
and that's after doing no other work in the editor and the PC started fresh for the first time today, it does seem to be copying over all sorts of other files that belong in other levels.

Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2015 00:11
Will somebody with this complaint please post the level on drop box so we can evaluate it. Not just speculate on it.
Cant see what the problem is if we cant see your files.

Please.

smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "This is happening to me as well.
I saved a map with NOTHING in it apart from a player start and a winzone, and got 150mb of files in the standalone.
and that's after doing no other work in the editor and the PC started fresh for the first time today, it does seem to be copying over all sorts of other files that belong in other levels."

you will get big standalones, it needs to contain all the core files to make it work for people who don't already own GG
getting about 200mb on a blank map is normal... getting almost 1gb on a blank map however is not.
life\'s one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, geforce gtx460, directx 11
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2015 20:48
There are a few files that are copied into standalone that may never be used, but this was for convenience so that future files do not get missed out and ruin your standalone export experience. Bear in mind that modern games are HUGE these days and a 1GB standalone is not uncommon, and the more levels you have in your standalone the relative cost per level drops a LOT. I downloaded GTA-V the other day and it was 60GB+. Now THAT's a huge standalone!
PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 00:33:12
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 00:33:12