Product Chat / Couple of overlooked new features (video)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2015 04:35 Edited at: 4th Apr 2015 04:54
Everyone is already aware of free flight editing mode and other additions so no need to go into that, there are all the same a couple of new things that are pretty much overlooked in the feeding frenzy of new features.

Something long overdue and badly missed was given the description:
"Updated pre-bake entity renderer so HIGHEST produces better dynamic shadows"....so what does this mean exactly?
It means characters actually cast a shadow on entity's not only terrain....yep! we now have dynamic character shadows on indoor entity's. Lee had to do a little tweaking to the pre-bake HIGHEST shader to enhance these.
In the video below you can see this working, I have used one of my own characters as it shows this really well and you can see it casts on both horizontal and vertical surfaces.
Shadow is cast from the skylight source only but for now is a lot better than none at all.

Another feature which adds to the editing experience is the introduction of vertical snap, all features of the widget are available to use in free flight mode with the grid snaps included. We already had horizontal snap and vertical was the missing piece. Same as horizontal you can now snap vertically using 'b' once to snap 5x5 and 'b' twice for 100x100.
This makes it real easy for media creators to make assets which will 'snap' together to create larger structures and fills the gap till the conkit comes along. It even means raising entity's goes a lot faster then it did.

The video below is a 15 minute run through of a small level built using these features from start to finish, the assets were created with grid snap in mind and it is a breeze to build with these now.

Ignore the fps in last video, it was captured using a laptop.
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2015 04:53
Nice, glad you are enjoying it. Nice videos, long time coming for these features.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
The vertical snap feature added to free flight makes it all a lot quicker and easier to build and it looks 100% better with shadows on entity's
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2015 05:34
I didnt know we finally had verticle snapping... oh my

I have not been keeping up with the updates :p
i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce 420 GT
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2015 19:04
Your demons look better than ever. Thanks for the tips.
best
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice vids.

Yes, the new version has a few decent features added Not tried baking yet as I avoid it completely until I am certain I have finished a scene before performing the long wait for a full render ( It can take awhile. Longest to date about 5 or 6 hours!). So I can see why most peeps may miss the new shadows! I need an I7, lol, my Q6600 is just not cut out for baking large scenes. Plus I find large scenes actually run far better in real time mode at the moment.

I'm not sure about using shift for deleting textures,grass and lowering the floor though. It seems very awkward compared to just using the right mouse button. For instance: I used to be able to easily cut a straight road or edge along grass etc just using right mouse and the movement keys. now I have to hold shift at the same time making it a little more awkward. Personally, I would have been happy to just use f to switch between overhead and the 3D view.

A good update in the main. I have noticed a few weird things happening to the screen when you task swap out of GG and back later. Quite often the screen has moved into 3D mode on it's own or just moved somewhere else entirely. Must still be doing something while your busy in another program...

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 13:02:13
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 13:02:13