Product Chat / Serious performance problem on levels with high detail.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 28th Mar 2015 17:14
Hi there, i have been working on this singleplayer level for 2 days now and i am running into the lowest framerates i have ever had on my machine.

In game it hits up to 13 fps.

Here is a screenshot of what the map looks like.
http://i.imgur.com/fu9WsSf.jpg

As you can see there is lots of detail everywhere. Wich i think is the issue.

But this should not be an issue!

My pc hits up to 120fps with battlefield 4 on ultra yet this runs at 13fps.

We need this feature (i don't know the name) that makes it so when an object is not vissible in screen it doesn't exist.

Since from my understanding the engine draws everything at all times.

This is proven by the polygon count wich is huge!

If the dev's read this. Please focuse on performance BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE!

I heard about putting 3rd person elements and such in wich is great but if you can't even make a level withouth running into framerate problems that wont help much.

FX 6300- R9 280X 3GB - 8 gig corsair vengeance
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2015 20:58 Edited at: 28th Mar 2015 20:58
Hi JeliLiam

Fps is continually being optimised and improved as development continues...
Out of interest what are you machine specs ?
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
A dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2015 21:23
I dunno but he said that he could run BF4 on ultra at 120+ fps so his pc must be good...
Don\'t waste your life
Devcore35
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2015 21:23
Hello,

This is very strange. Despite the polygons too high to be improved in the motor during 2015 with my computer I do not have much problem.
Indeed I designed a level that 100% of the maximum in GameGuru maps and uses more than +1000 entity! And despite all this work and maps FPM weighs 7 MB I'm still between 25 and 30 FPS (maximum graphic settings).

My setup:

Windows 8.1
Intel Core i5, 3,1Ghz
8GB RAM
NVidia GTX850 2GB dedicated
1600X900 resolution

The best is probably to wait GameGuru develops slowly
It is better to be patient and have a good result ^^

Meanwhile you can reduce the distance of the field display 10 or 15% by hiding all by the fog and see your FPS go up quickly
PM
JeliLiam
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 28th Mar 2015 22:11
@syncromesh

My pc specs are underneath my posts as always.

Here they are nontheless

PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "My pc specs are underneath my posts as always."

Apologies yes I see that now ... I tried to duplicate your map as best I could because I have many of those entities and mine ran very well ?
Of course its not identical to yours so maybe I am missing something .... I could try out your FPM file if that would help ?
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2015 22:24 Edited at: 28th Mar 2015 22:43
Quote: "I heard about putting 3rd person elements and such in wich is great but if you can't even make a level withouth running into framerate problems that wont help much.
"

I see that you have many characters active at the same time. In old FPSC we could only have below 10 complex characters in a map and usually no more than 4 active at the same time.
This could already drag down your performance aswell as so many AI's close to each other. Have you tried reducing the amount of characters to see how that impacts framerate ?
Just trying to find solutions as your map does not look like it should lag.

-Wolf
"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"
"absurdity has become necessity"
79% Sale on my latest Scifi Modelpack. Get it here!
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi JeliLiam

Got your Fpm and gave it a try .... there were only 2 models I didn't have so it wasn't a problem ...

Wolf hit the nail on the head .... The problem is just to many Characters..... First thing I did was remove them all and my fps jumped to around 50 to 60 fps on Highest detail .... The map looks great and ran very well ... My card isn't up to much either

I then randomly set characters but spaced out an not so many and again it was very impressive ... Very playable

What can you do ?

Firstly I would delete all your characters and start again ..... Not so many characters congregated in one area .... even if it ran perfectly your just being shot constantly and I found it actually ruined a great looking map for me when playing.

There are lots of high obstacles so many characters could be spawned using a trigger zone as you get near ... this would be perfect for your map as this feature will keep your fps up and give you lots of action

Its quite easily fixed ... Once done you should notice a huge difference ..

Hope that helps ...

PM
JeliLiam
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 29th Mar 2015 00:14
Thanks i will try that!

Could you quickly expain on how to spawn enemies using a trigger zone?

Thanks
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2015 00:52 Edited at: 29th Mar 2015 00:53
Ok try this on a blank map so you can see what happens and get the hang of it ..

1.... Place your start marker
2.... place a Combat Mutant about 100 foot away in front of you.
3.... In between you both put a trigger zone

4.... Go to the Combat Mutant and select properties....Under Respawn / respawn at start ...Select No...Apply settings

5.... Select the triggerzone and select properties....Under "If Used" type the name of the character used...in this case Combat Mutant.

Run a test game ..... as you run forward and hit the trigger zone you will see the Mutant spawn.

You can then select and extract the Combat Mutant and place as many in that area as you like ... not to many and reasonably spaced for fps...
Then you can then repeat this procedure for any other characters and also edit the triggerzone sound for a warning or radio message " Enemy ahead " etc .. Obviously for best results make them spawn out of sight

Hope that helps
PM
JeliLiam
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 29th Mar 2015 15:43
Thanks! This boosted performance from 13- to 45fps. While still not great it is a massive improvement.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Thanks! This boosted performance from 13- to 45fps. While still not great it is a massive improvement"

Excellent .... Things will improve with Development
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
There are many options to increase fps when you get into it. Obviously we do need occlusion to be operational, billboarding or quads for distant objects as well. Both of those should speed things up a lot, but obviously so far in GG that hasn't happened as yet. i also thing improved shaders will help on the high end side but I am only guessing, as I am not up to date with more recent shader developments. I think GG uses shader v2 effects still for all effects? As I say I am unsure.

However, as we do not have this yet, here's a few tips for speed.

AI as said, will slow your scene. Try to not go too mad with it. Spawn enemies when close rather than all the time. I think this has been covered.

This could be improved by the devs by possibly with multi-core support. Most of us will have at least one cpu sitting practically idle while playing GG games. I have 3, some potentially 7 (or more, but I doubt many would be using top server kit, if only I were rich, lol), and it would be nice for some of the cpu load to be offset on those. Of course I know this is not as simple as it seems, but AI and physics I think should be multi core. There's no excuse these days for having an issue with a lot of AI. I would certainly like to see at least 50 or more in one scene running no problem if I wanted it. Other games manage thousands.

Entites. Follow a similar principle to the AI as far as not having too many in one area. Spreading the entities more always gives a boost (up to a point). Be as liberal as you can with trees, particularly animated ones. They hit performance considerably more than most other objects.

Settings. Don't forget you can lower the quality down. I know no one really wants to do this, but eventually (unless GG gets a major speed update) you will have to look at this. I have found that the terrain settings give me most fps boost by lowering, followed by entity quality and lastly grass (although quality for me makes little difference.). You will find a boost if you lower the density and distance of the grass also.

Lower the camera distance and the terrain size down. Unless you are high up in a scene you can normally have some quite low settings without seeing a jot of difference.

If your scene is all indoors, switch off terrain, you will get a massive boost. Also water can slow things a tad as well, so turning that off as well if not needed will help. In my commando game I used scripts to disable enable as needed to help improve speed across the level.

There are more options but I don't want to make this an unofficial tutorial, lol. Unfortunately, there is no magic button for speed, you have to work at it to get any game of decent size running well. TGC can certainly improve things here, but we as ever should strive to do whatever we can on our end to keep things as smooth as possible. As with all things, the more you play about, the more you will learn, the better your games will become.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
vrg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2015 10:44
How many of enemy characters are possible in a level at the moment?
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "How many of enemy characters are possible in a level at the moment?"

As far as I know its as many as you like .... Its all down to Strategic placement and spawning to keep your level running well .....
Besides I find to many where you don't stand a chance ruins the gameplay for me ...
PM
snowdog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2015 17:43
I need to upgrade my PC soon, I only get 13-17 fps on the demo maps with everything turned up to the highest. Still, not bad for a 2GB Radeon HD 4870...it was quite a beast in its day and to be fair it's aged pretty well.

Might have to up the clock and see what difference it makes.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
PM
AuShadow
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2015 15:21
Quote: "Might have to up the clock and see what difference it makes"

Lost count t of how many times I have said this and then had to replace a burnt out card after a few attempts of "how far can I push this card".
PC Specs: Windows 7 home 64-bit, Amd 7900 3gb DDR5 graphics, 8gb DDR3 Ram, Intel i7 3.4ghz
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Lost count t of how many times I have said this and then had to replace a burnt out card after a few attempts of "how far can I push this card""

haha yh overclocking might be all fine until the card actually starts working at full, even without the frying it can easily cause crashes and lock ups... it's generally much better not to push them to the limit in my experience.
personally i actually underclock sometimes just to keep them quieter - doesnt help gain any fps though but the decrease is normally much smaller than you expect.
but it is fun to see how far pc componenets can go - as long as it's not a bad ending anyway
life\'s one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, geforce gtx460, directx 11
snowdog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2015 12:58
Should be okay as long as I keep an eye on the temperature, the fan is going to be noisy though lol
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
PM
HarlsonRS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2015 13:45
to clarify, this seems to be the same problem that arma has too... just too many scripts running at the same time pulls down the performance massively... so many character, many scripts, massive fps drop and rubberbanding... i have made an open world level, and as long as it was just filled with 100´s of building, 100´s of bushes and lots more, there was no problem... as soon as i sprayed like 25 characters across the map, all active of course, i realized quite a little drop in performance...not that much, but noticable...

but i will need way more, so i´ll probably have to work with triggerzones as well...only problem: if i want to define a whole AREA in which NPC will spawn (let´s say around the train station) i either would need to create dozens of triggers or a trigger with custom script for player distance <XXXX... but then again i would need to create dozens of different custom scripts for differently sized areas, right? a little uncomfortable... i made a suggestion (among others) in my "what i would like" thread in that regard
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Name your groups of people with the same name and you can spawn a shed load at once with one zone

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2015 11:46
multi core cpu support is a really important update, hope it will be added because this would allow more logic. my cpu is an amd a10 7700 quad running 3.4ghz, with terrain off for indoor level with lots, and i do mean lots of objects, im getting 132fps, on empty it was 212fps, my gfx card is a hd7870 amd card
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "multi core cpu support is a really important update, hope it will be added because this would allow more logic. my cpu is an amd a10 7700 quad running 3.4ghz, with terrain off for indoor level with lots, and i do mean lots of objects, im getting 132fps, on empty it was 212fps, my gfx card is a hd7870 amd card "

Look at it from this point of view .... The fact Multi core has not been implemented yet means ....when it eventually is ..... Your games will go like lightning
So GameGuru EA is far very from its full potential and with its continued Development its can only get faster and better ...
Lots to look forward to
PM
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2015 08:20
Multicore support... Maybe Feb. 2017
Old school FPS fan, DOOM!!! Why GG not working on my AMIGA 500?
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 02:14:36
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 02:14:36