3rd Party Models/Media Chat / Are there standard or common door and ceiling heights?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm working on some buildings at the moment. I would like it if the rooms could tile against other peoples buildings and also if they could be mixed and matched with other peoples doors.

I've looked at the media that comes with guru such as the asylum but the ceilings look a bit high and the doors a bit big for what I'm working on. I'm wondering if there are other common sizes I can use. I want to balance variety with tiling and also compatibility with other assets.

By taking the height of the characters and the 100 unit grid as a starting point I'm working towards something I'll be happy with. But what about the media your working on ? Would it be helpful if doors from my buildings fitted in your walls?

Currently my room heights are 120 and 160. My door frames 100x60 , doors 90x50, walls and floors are 5 deep.
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2015 14:11
Coming from an architectural back ground and from the USA, I will give you measurements that I have found to be good.
For this engine. Door widths of 4feet. Height of 7'6".
Ceiling heights for most modern homes 8'4" is good, and for snapping also.
Stair case widths, 4feet. Watch your ceiling height cutout for those, so you done=t bump your head.

The players collision capsule, appears to be about 7'10" tall, with a 3 foot diameter.

The player camera height by default, seems to be about 8" higher then average.
I am seeing if I can get some exact specifications on this.

Sorry for not converting the measurements, Being a little lazy this morning. lol

But hope this helps in the mean time.

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

mint sandcastle
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for your input and expertise pirate myke. Apparently 100 units equals three meters.
It looks like a foot translates to about 10 units. Unless my maths is squiffy.

100 units = 3 metres
3 meters = 9.8425196 feet

Door width 4 = 1.2 meters = 40 units
Door height 7.6 = 2.31 meters = 76 units
Ceiling height. 8.4 = 2.56 meters = 85 units
Stair width. 4 = 1.2 meters = 40 units
Player height. 7.10 = 2.16 meters = 71 units
Player width. 3 = 0.91 meters = 30 units

While looking up unit conversions I read that real sized doors aren't used in fps games as they look small due to the field of view.

I wanted the proportions of my rooms to feel right but I hadn't considered collision or how fiddly it might be to manoeuvre through a realisticly sized door . also I hadn't considered that some characters could conceivably be monsters much larger than a human character and wouldn't be able to chase you indoors.

Thanks again for supplying tried and tested sizes. I'm going to try out some more prototypes
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2015 16:39
100 units represent 8'4" or 254 cm or 2.54 M at the moment.

Yes the camera FOV in game makes things look way small in comparison to real life. But for getting the player and characters to be able to get thru you models, then these things needs to be considered, and adjust the model accordingly.

Plus it is all about your style you want to represent also. I tend to want to supply real world sizes for all my stuff.
Architectural and civil back ground and adjust every so slightly to over come the camera view and height. Some have more cartoon styles, some are more elaborate and free flowing.

Glad I could help.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 03:59:56
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 03:59:56