3rd Party Models/Media Chat / Issues when importing models

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2015 20:45 Edited at: 20th Mar 2015 21:02
Hi I'm having some troubles import a model I have--

the model is a castle in .x format and is a multitextured model

usually I put all related textures of the models into the same folder and after add and fpe file and put the folder into the GG entitybank folder and all works fine

but this time in GG I have a black model into the editor and when i try to launch test map the editor crashes and return to previous session

the same if I try to import in from the GG model importer..in this case I have a corret preview of the model into he importer but after I import I I have the same result

this is a pic of the folder with the related model fiels

upload immagini gratis

this is what I have into the importer

hostare immagini

and this is how it appear ito the editor

invia immagini

and this is the fpe of the model

free image upload

can please someone tell me why I obtain this result??

I have the related normal maps too but i dont know how to use them...

thanks i advance

leon
PC Specs:

Q9550@3,8GHZ - 8GB RAM - SVGA R9 280 3GB GDDR5 - HDD WD 1500TB
PM
HarryWever
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2015 00:14
In the fpe file i see in the picture that your texture = is empty.
There you put your texture name..

Example. building_D.dds
The texture should stay in the same dir/folder as your entity.

youre normal map name is then building_N.dds
specular building_S.dds

The normal and specular you don't put in the fpe file . offcourse the same dir/folder

gr
Harry Wever
Harry
PM
miki
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2015 00:15
@ JC

i think the fpe file is expecting something like:

but with so many texture files it's difficult to say which one to put...
try ;

or a real stab in the dark

(or whatever separator .fpe expects.)

Usually the textures all sit in one file.

Which 3d creator are you using ?
If it's 3ds max I can help you further in texturing and uvw mapping.

regards,
miki.

in the end
Errant AI
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2015 01:04 Edited at: 21st Mar 2015 01:19
Leave the textured = field blank when using multiple textures.

Your texture names need to have the appropriate suffix for the importer to copy them over.

Try manually copying the needed textures to the entitybank\user directory where the .fpe and bitmap were saved.

Please note that shaders won't work properly if you have multiple textures. It is best practice to use only one material per entity.

If you have too many textures being used on an entity it will crash the engine when lightmapping.
Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3, Intel Core i7 2600K, 16GB Corsair DDR3, EVGA GTX 970 SC, Win7 Pro 64-bit SP1, Primary monitor @ 1920x1080, secondary monitor @ 1024x1280
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2015 10:25 Edited at: 21st Mar 2015 10:28
thanks for your reply but form what I know I must leave blank the texture field is the model have too much textures as EAI said

strange but true I solved that converting the model into fbx and after that re-exporting into .x and it works

image share

I tried the lightmapping too and the lightmap complete the process but after that my model is not displaied ito the test mode

invia immagini

but it's correclty displaied into the editor

another question..

I noticed that he model is not aligned with the x axis of the editor but start from deep so I must raise it manualy and if I press the enter key to press it to terrain it go down underterrain ..I set offx = 0 into the fpe file but it's the same how I can solve that?
PC Specs:

PM
Errant AI
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2015 11:03
Myke would know better than I but i think he said 3 textures is the maximum for lightmapping to work on multitextured objects. If possible, I would recommend breaking that thing up into smaller pieces to get the texture count down if indeed it uses all of the maps shown in your first post.

offx is still nonfunctional still. Best bet is to raise it to the correct level before you export to .x
Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3, Intel Core i7 2600K, 16GB Corsair DDR3, EVGA GTX 970 SC, Win7 Pro 64-bit SP1, Primary monitor @ 1920x1080, secondary monitor @ 1024x1280
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
I see..but this weird..and how can I break the model into smaller pieces??

I tried to use blender but I dont know how..

another thing I noticed is that when I walk (in test mode) into some zones I cant access to them like there is an invisible wall I cannot pass thought

I that for the pivot point of the model???

PC Specs:

PM
miki
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2015 18:14 Edited at: 21st Mar 2015 18:18
@JC,

may I suggest practising with blender (I've never used it) making simple structures, one wall at a time.
Build everything on a 100 units scale ( snap to for GG ).
Paint the walls using one image file (normally 'myfile_D.dds').
Fix the segmant images using 'uvw wrap' .. (there should be an equivalent in blender).
When each part is individually finished convert all pieces to Editable Mesh.
Select all and export using 'kW X-port' into a folder containing the image and fpe file.

typical image file example:

3d layout blowup example:

For walk in buildings just cut a hole in the wall for the door and open the door using 'bone and skin'.
edit: better for a door to be a separate entity, I use a '.png' with an alpha for the glass

If you need any more info just ask...
But it's mainly down to trial and error. And lot's of time.

regards,
miki.
in the end
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2015 03:12
@miki: Nice piece of information, thanks for posting.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2015 15:37
Quote: "another question..

I noticed that he model is not aligned with the x axis of the editor but start from deep so I must raise it manualy and if I press the enter key to press it to terrain it go down underterrain ..I set offx = 0 into the fpe file but it's the same how I can solve that?"

When you select entity from panel and before place it, press "U", so you notice the selection becomes red color, so you can place and raise it without probs.
This beaviours usually comes when model is not 0,0,0 coordinates.

Quote: "another thing I noticed is that when I walk (in test mode) into some zones I cant access to them like there is an invisible wall I cannot pass thought
"

Do you resize any entity via widge?
Imagine you've a wall larger than you need, so you risize it via Gizmo in editor, for fit yours need. In previews versions when you do that, the wall preserve their collision range, that mean, if your wall before is 2 meter large and you resize it to 80cms, the wall still have 2 meter collision range, and you can not pass trought, ignore if this behaviour is present in GG too.

3com

Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 8.1 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 22:32:47
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 22:32:47