Product Chat / Multiplayer for what?

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2015 08:49
Really, I don't think that the most people here are waiting for new multiplayer features. Look how many threads are in the multiplayer area of the forum, not really much.

I also don't understand why they've started to add multiplayer before the engine is somewhere close to complete. We are still far from a complete game kit. I guess, they just added the multiplayer thing, to make the steam users happy...

But if u don't own GG u can not play multiplayer... So it's not really useful at the moment...
I wish they would spend more time on fixing bugs and adding basic things to the "game kit"...

Multiplayer is a good thing, but I don't think it should be that important in such an early development state.

Old school FPS fan, DOOM!!! Why GG not working on my AMIGA 500?
PM
Errant AI
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2015 09:05 Edited at: 18th Mar 2015 09:06
While deathmatch might not be of much interest to some on here, many are interested in co-op or other forms of online play... It's all related and better when integrated early on as a core part of the engine rather than being tacked on to the end as an afterthought.

Multiplayer also benefits singleplayer developers in other ways which may not be readily apparent.
Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3, Intel Core i7 2600K, 16GB Corsair DDR3, EVGA GTX 970 SC, Win7 Pro 64-bit SP1, Primary monitor @ 1920x1080, secondary monitor @ 1024x1280
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: around
Posted: 18th Mar 2015 10:44
Quote: "But if u don't own GG u can not play multiplayer... So it's not really useful at the moment..."

Look at it that way: With a working and somehow enjoyable multiplayer feature, the extra Steam keys you backers got have at least some use.
In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
The Next
TGC Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2015 12:41
Quote: "But if u don't own GG u can not play multiplayer... So it's not really useful at the moment..."

There is a free player program that is planned for the near future, that will allow anyone to play and MP level made in GameGuru without buying the software.
Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz (Passmark: 9021), 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked (Passmark: 8056)
PM
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2015 14:57
Well multiplayer, deathmatch, free play, whatever...
The point is, at the moment you can not make a complete working game with the "game maker" there are still too many things missing or not working well in the "game maker", so I really don't understand why they don't fix and complete the another things first. Before they start something new and time consuming (multiplayer).

I guess some of the original backers would be happy to complete their games/projects, but at the moment it's not possible. What we have now new is another incomplete part of the game maker (multiplayer).

I think GG would also benefit from some finished/complete games, if the people see what the guys here from the forum can do with it. Then maybe more and more people will buy GG.

If they see only WIP games, levels, multiplayer maps, then they will think again before they buy it. Or they will use something different...

PM
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I also don't understand why they've started to add multiplayer before the engine is somewhere close to complete."

Because it's not something you can just tack on at the end; it has to be integrated tightly with the rest of the engine. If anything provisions should have been made at the very start of the project.
PM
J_C
Years of Service
User Offline
Surely if Multiplayer can setup teams then Single player must be able to team up with some AI's...

it's only fair...
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2015 16:07
Sorry for any single player delay, have been to GDC and England, just got back into Wales this week. Some NON-multiplayer stuff coming soon for you:

* Added new LUA globals;
* g_PlayerFlashlight = Switches to 1 when the player is using the flash light (F)
* g_PlayerGunID = The currently held weapon ID value
* g_PlayerGunCount = The total number of weapons currently carried
* Amended Sound DLL binary to avoid creating false positive with BitDefender
* Added extra debug code to trace steps during software initialisation
* Added ability to replace a weapon by pressing T when collecting new one
* Prevented the camera from sinking into floor when zooming into large entity
* Extra prompts preventing player collecting more than 9 weapons
* Replaced entity highlighter with shrink wrap colour, removed old circle highlighter
* Removed Red Circle Highlighter in F9 Edit Mode in favor of shrink wrap method
* Added (autoflatten) text to status panel when U key mode activated
* Added cursor icon to F9 Entity Edit Mode to allow finer entity selection
* Terrain Editing Ramp Mode now smooths out the ramp edges to avoid stretch effect
* Solved issue of multi-level standalones using the wrong terrain paint texture
* Fixed issue of rogue sprites corrupting standalone menu after one round of playing

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

Old Larry
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2015 11:28 Edited at: 19th Mar 2015 11:35
That's good news for single player, we will waiting for all those improvements LeeBamber
I'm not interesting about multiplayer until the GG make a Non-Steam Version/Stand Alone Executable For Online Multiplayer
Smile today, tomorrow could be worse

http://bestradiolarry.ro/fpsarea/

"The best forum, game software, operating system or web platform, it's that software which can give you most of the features and speed, not just amazing graphics."
Old Larry
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2015 22:20
And another old problem (I've mentioned also in the "Bug report" at https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/211316 :
We still having problems with foots speed sound of player.
The "Footfall Pace" setting have no one influence ! For example if I increase the player speed from the default "speed = 100" to 150, 200 or greater,
the player foots sound is keeps that "speed = 100" ( I've refer strictly at sound speed, what player hearing).
This inconvenient appearing after first steam GG version, before the steam version, was fully functionally that player foots speed sounds :
just for testing, I've set the speed at "speed = 300" from player start option, and the sounds of player foots, was perfectly synchronized with the "speed = 300" from player start option
Please don't forget about this problem.
Smile today, tomorrow could be worse

http://bestradiolarry.ro/fpsarea/

"The best forum, game software, operating system or web platform, it's that software which can give you most of the features and speed, not just amazing graphics."
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2015 21:46 Edited at: 27th Mar 2015 21:54
My take on this is that TGC put so much emphasis on multiplayer because it made good business sense. I think they were motivated more by this than by the logical needs of the game engine. Going onto Steam with multiplayer must have generated A LOT of new exposure and business. It was an inspired marketing strategy. I think getting new users into the community is a good thing because they bring with them experience and resources as testers, scripters, artists, gamers... Also, let's not forget they are running a business after all!

However, I really do hope that, now they are flush with Steam success, they will direct more resources to integrating the basic features we need to make our games. Current character AI is so poor that we will probably end up completely scrapping and restarting our levels once the characters can work as they should. Right now our levels have to be designed around a lot of restrictions and the same goes for many other underdeveloped or unintegrated features.

I am sure there are many users like me who are anxious to have a fully functioning, fully featured game engine before we really get into our projects and we certainly don't want to release any games to Steam that are anything less than awesome! When my work explodes onto the market I need it to send out a clear message: I have arrived!

When character AI, the ConKit and Character Kit come we will be able to at least start to get our teeth into it with some confidence.

Oh yes, and the lack of allied characters is forcing users to confine their concepts to certain sub-genres like the lone wolf or hitman. These are fundamental things guys. I can live with a red glow around selected entities if it frees up resources to get these crucial feature in play.
Julian
PM
dedser
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2015 21:59
I agree with the comment above.
a functional product need to work on our levels of detail also work with own character
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2015 22:13
Quote: "The point is, at the moment you can not make a complete working game with the "game maker" there are still too many things missing or not working well in the "game maker", so I really don't understand why they don't fix and complete the another things first. Before they start something new and time consuming (multiplayer). "

I'm with you that I am not that interesting in the multiplayer. Its fun though if you play with people from the community.
However, if the implement the multiplayer now alongside the development of the offline features its likely to end up more stable than a "tagged on" multiplayer.

Quote: "* g_PlayerFlashlight = Switches to 1 when the player is using the flash light (F)"

There is a lot that can be done with that, gameplay wise!

-Wolf
"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"

"absurdity has become necessity"

79% Sale on my latest Scifi Modelpack. Get it here!
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2015 22:28
the flashlight is good for dark creepy games...
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2015 22:39
Quote: "the flashlight is good for dark creepy games..."

Yes! And with a command that determines wether its used or not you can do a lot in terms of enemie AI (they can see you from further away or see you at all when the flashlight is on...you can play a WAV of one of them yelling "I see his flashlight" like the classic FEAR game.) or for survival horror games and puzzles. A lot can be done

-Wolf
"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"

"absurdity has become necessity"

79% Sale on my latest Scifi Modelpack. Get it here!
xCept
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "My take on this is that TGC put so much emphasis on multiplayer because it made good business sense. I think they were motivated more by this than by the logical needs of the game engine. Going onto Steam with multiplayer must have generated A LOT of new exposure and business. It was an inspired marketing strategy. I think getting new users into the community is a good thing because they bring with them experience and resources as testers, scripters, artists, gamers... Also, let's not forget they are running a business after all!"

This is true, although I'm not entirely convinced of any increased exposure due to multiplayer. I haven't found an online server "in the wild" since shortly after it launched, other than battling a friend a few times. Steam Charts indicates there are on average 20-30 people using GameGuru at any given time, so statistically it is not likely to find many multiplayer matches as most seem to be just building singleplayer maps. I think if TGC accommodates dedicated servers or at least make it so a user can start a server and others can join ad hoc it will be more popular. I can never find any lobbies at all.

The push for multiplayer came as a surprise to me as Rick and Lee were pretty adamant early in its development that nailing single player and creating a rock solid engine was essential before tackling multiplayer. Now 50% of the resources (one developer) are spent refining multiplayer, such as a new co-op mood expected next week.

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, AMD Phenom X6 1100T 3.60 GHz CPU (Passmark: 5934), NVIDIA Geforce GTX-680 2GB GPU (Passmark: 5712), G.SKILL 16GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) RAM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2015 18:54
I think that developing a 3d engine as GG requires a lot of money, infrastructure, and willing to work 24/7 human material.

Well, if the product sells TGC does not produce the needed revenue to go ahead with the project, TGC should seek other income.

TGC decides to bet on Steam, a priori a good bet, since steam has considerable potential prospects.

But this great audience mostly demand a new game system, the multiplayer system.

So TGC decided to develop the MP system, to play in the big leagues.

And landed in steam with two suitcases, your single (What The most users demand here, even myself) and the new multi players ones (The new steam audience demand).

If TGC decides to invest in MP system has to develop a highly competitive product, since the stakes are very high, out there.

So why is it so difficult to understand that TGC need more money to fund product development?

I'm new here, but do not know how many customers have TGC, nor if the income obtained Steam before, allowed them to continue the singleplayer product, but friends if the client TGC, are only those who come to this forum, sincerely, those are our very, very, very importants, but insufficient incomes.

Why is it so difficult to understand that TGC may desperately need that income to go ahead with the project?

I have understood that there is a team dedicated to developing single player, and another dedicated to the development of multiplayer, so it need not be an obstacle.

It's easy to think, however, that TGC is devoting most of its efforts on the development / marketing multiplayer product.

It is difficult to ask for a little more, to those who have already given so much, but friends this is a good time to do so.

I hope not to offend anyone, and if any of my words do not like, is the fault of google, I have nothing to do.
IHMO-

3com

Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 8.1 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 07:28:34
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 07:28:34