Product Chat / important interior

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, everybody!
I want to ask - why in GG didn't make system of creation of rooms as in classical FPSC?
The main counter of this designer just in creation of rooms and labyrinths. A corridor shooter - the main opportunity which favourably distinguishes FPSC from other programs of development of games.
You make poll, and you will see that to the majority it is much more important interior fights, than run on open spaces.
I ask you personally if you listen, connect as soon as possible system of creation of rooms.
Thanks if you make it soon.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: around
Posted: 18th Mar 2015 11:05 Edited at: 18th Mar 2015 11:30
That won't be easy since ALL editors are either segment/cell based or use landscape forming tools. FPSC was essentially working with a 3D cube grid that allowed to pick out and edit any cell on a 40x40x14 grid. LoG p.e. is also cell-based with exterior areas as well as interior ones constructed on a strict grid. The TES construction kit uses landscape forming (just like GG) with interior areas built mostly from prefabed elements. Axis Game Factory Pro works exactly like GG with prefabed rooms placed in the landscape to create interior maps (their zombie shooter demo map is created in exact the same way as the zombie asylum map for GG).

No engine is able to do it both ways and the ones which come close to it (p.e. the Electron toolset for NWN2), always have to load a new map when the player moves between exterior or interior maps.

Maybe one day someone will come up with an engine that kind of combines FPSC and GG, essentially using 2 different editors for exterior and interior maps that can be compiled into a single game.
In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2015 11:53 Edited at: 18th Mar 2015 11:53
The Storyteller 01 is correct ...
Its a totally different style of engine for integrating the old style of segments, Hence the up and coming ConKit which will allow you to construct your own interiors within the editor ...

Segment style construction is not impossible though as it is kind of used in GG already .... Note the warehouse levels ... using the snap together feature you can build a wide variety of internal constructions and the same with the Asylum pack.... and there will probably be many more similar packs to come .... Just like the Segment packs in FPS Classic ... Of course the real uniqueness of your game is if you can create your own models and import them so from my personal perspective I think GG has the best of everything and will get even more flexible as Development continues.

The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2015 12:42
Yeah!, you can make great building using modules, although I coming from underground and I feel quite comfortable being there, I guess that I want means that I wish make my levels in underground too.

3om

Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 8.1 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: around
Posted: 18th Mar 2015 12:48
There is still another problem creating interiors that way.

If you try to create puzzles like in Legend of Grimrock with trapdoors, shafts and the like it's much easier if you work with a cube grid (just like LoG does) because otherwise its near to impossible to correctly align a 5-level dungeon. Also working with a cube grid it's easier to keep track of doors, switches, levers etc. because you can edit your map level for level.

Personally I wouldn't recommend building true multi-level dungeons or the like with GG.
In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2015 16:12
The plan is to further improve the current entity editing system so that you can slice up your level vertically if you wish, allowing an editing experience similar to the classic segment editor. We will be working with artists soon on segment style entities that can drop into this new method of creating interior spaces one layer at a time.
PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

genart
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, LeeBamber!

Do walls simply only by two surfaces, there where it is possible.

---

synchromesh, hmm...
You want to tell, as well as The Storyteller 01, what assembled game bears all information on auxiliary grids of a binding of the objects used in the editor?
In what for you a difference between the imported geometry and generated in the editor?
Besides on "floors" of these structures which on a screenshot, now bots can't move. It I to that if they will start "going on a floor" in rooms, am not present a difference how the geometry of these rooms will be brought.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 00:38:08
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 00:38:08