Product Chat / Problem with waypoints on top of objects

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2015 23:53
Hi,

Waypoints are working fine on my terrain but don't seem to be good on floor objects.

Has anyone had the same problem and maybe knows a fix?

kind regards,
miki.
in the end
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Miki

Can you tell me what segments you are using ...perhaps I can help

The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2015 00:32
Which character are you trying to use on the waypoint?
Is this a custom segment? Did you modify the fpe to use the forcesimpleobstacle = 3 in it, to allow characters the ability to know where the edge is.

Did you set the segment first or the waypoints?

I am going to throw one together and see what it does.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

miki
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2015 01:17
@ synchromesh,

After reading your question I did a few more tests.
I get different results with my custom media to the bundled media (masked soldier , paving slab)

It seems to depend more on the custom ai_character rather than the custom floor segment.

I'll do some more tests.

Pity... I made a rather nice custom map that isn't waypoint friendly.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

regards,
miki.

in the end
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2015 01:29 Edited at: 18th Mar 2015 01:30
Ensure you have forcesimpleobstacle = 3 in the fpe as Myke says
If its custom floor segments then they cannot be to thick ...below the characters ankles at the very most

Let me know how you get on
PM
miki
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2015 02:32
Thanks to the both of you.

Quote: "forcesimpleobstacle = 3"

was a winner.

Plus, I made my floor segments as plains.

I'm glad my custom characters are okay... or appear to be.
(They're not so good, but they're mine).

Good result.

cheers,
miki.

in the end
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
They look Great !!
Amazing
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2015 12:49
Quote: "(They're not so good, but they're mine)."

good attitude, keep heads up!

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 8.1 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
nuncio
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2015 13:34 Edited at: 19th Mar 2015 13:36
i had the same problem.
i wanted to put a rocket man on the "city wall" (the city walls segment from the GG entities) tower to walk around and shoot at me. but the waypoints did not follow the floor of the tower, they followed the terrain. so it was impossible to create waypoints because everytime i was moving the cursor the waypoints didn't match anymore so that the rocket man could not even start to walk. when i place the waypoints on the city wall i can see how the waypoints are "falling thru the floor".
i cancelled the whole map for another reason so this is why i never asked for this.

edit:
i tried "forcesimpleobstacle = 3" on the paving slabs and the enemies still didn't follow all waypoints but at least they were moving and running around.
https://de-de.facebook.com/nunciogame (my point and click adventure)
http://www.nuncio-rap.de (everything i do in my free time)
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2015 14:00
There currently is no way to define a non-floor area for the characters to walk on. I am interested in how you would like to see this evolve. There are a number of ways, normally involving the defining of a polygon onto which characters can move, which can be shaped and positioned manually. I do not really want to ask artists to create new 'walk zones' for all 5000 items in the store I have the back-end AI stuff ready for what I call container traversal but we need a nice easy way for users to specify non-terrain floor surfaces and have them become part of the game. For now, simply set your character to ISIMMOBILE=YES and they will stay put when you place them on walls for static firing.
PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2015 16:28
Quote: " I do not really want to ask artists to create new 'walk zones' for all 5000 items in the store "

So, it has to be solved via script, somethng like, walkableZone=yes, even in properties panel.

3com

OS: Windows 8.1 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2015 07:42 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2015 21:46
Bethesda uses something called Navmesh. Basically a navigational layer you draw on terrain and objects. I'd assume implementing something like that would cause a serious FPS drain though? I personally don't mind the waypoint system. But if interested in looking at what Navmesh is all about here is a video showing how its used:

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce 420 GT
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2015 16:31 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2015 16:33
Nice vid.
I think ConKit and CharKit should be an standalone apps.
these applications shall be provided of the main features that has a decent 3D application, but focalized towards developing GG.
You open your map, working on (as in the video), and when ready, you open GG and the map is there ready for use, and you have not spent a single bit of memory in GG.

For this reason one day suggested that TGG must be a suite of applications, such as Adobe does.

GG: Game maker.
ConKit app: intendet for building build yours.
Charkit app: intendet for make your chars / skin and so on.
MapKit app: intendet for work in your map.
Script edior: intendet for make yours script, provided With pre-made functions, with intelligent assistance, and the debug function, to test yours scripts before use them.

For example: If PlayerDist = 100.
The above statement is not correct, should be: If PlayerDist == 100, this simple fact would save many headaches.

3com

PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2015 00:19
We currently have something similar but it works in reverse. Navmeshes describe where you can walk, and Game Guru obstacles define where you cannot walk, effectively freeing up the rest of the universe as possible places to move. Perhaps we can take a '3D version' of our current marker zone object and assign it to a character, which then remains constrained to the confines of the zone polygon area. This would allow things like characters on roofing, floating ships, multi-level buildings, e.t.c. I have added multi-layer AI for characters to my list, so maybe this is a good time to add this 'zone walking marker'. Hmm.
PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

miki
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2015 01:57
At the moment the waypoints seem to be working on floors as long as there is terrain directly underneath, which is a bit of a pain if you have raised fixtures. And with slopes.

Would it not be possible to trick the raised object that there is terrain underneath?

just a thought,
miki.

in the end
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2015 03:04
Character will only work within a foot of the terrain, also any height differences, must be less then the characters ankle to get up and over., or they will get stuck.

Improvements to the character system are in place for future development.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
The issue of characters not functioning properly above ground level seriously restricts the kind of levels you can create. I think this needs sorting asap. Maybe the work on F9 could be put on the back-burner while character AI is given a shot in the arm.
Julian
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 00:12:33
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 00:12:33