Product Chat / I need some help, looking for your suggestions on recommended toolchain/3D modeling software

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
So I have a few things designed, and I am having trouble importing the model(s) into Game-Guru,
I was wondering what toolset/toolchain you guys use/recommend.

I have tried various modelers/3d format conversion software, yet I am experiencing a variety of issues,
scaling, errors (wont import at all), white ball error (error in x file), flipped faces etc...

What are some recommended fully compatible modeling software for use with GG.
And what other programs would you suggest using this this engine (texture apps etc)

I have searched the forums but could not find any specific recommendation, so I decided to post a new thread
I apologize if this has already been addressed.

Also is there a good way to change perspective to a "camera" view or other view when moving models
around the layer design screen.

I am not new to game design, I was actually on a team for a game that was published, and I normally work
with Unity, but I wanted something to rapid prototype with, I am just finding GG frustrating at the moment.

Thanks!

Allen
PM
netdata
Years of Service
User Offline
I noticed more of this sort of discussion on Steam, for others seeking this information (I found this seconds after posting this)
one suggested method is using 3DSMax with a plugin as well as photoshop with a plugin (for textures)

Post here:

https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/210956
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2015 06:05
You can use any program that will export xfile format.
3D MAx, static and animated, great program, coast a bunch of money
Maya, Static only , animated thru FBX thru another program. a bunch of money
Blender, static and animated, Free,
Fragmotion, free and paid, people have been using this for years. I use it on stubborn models to correct eh xfile.

a host of others that are to numerous to list completely. The main thing is does it export X file.

Photoshop with the NVidia dds plugin. great tool, costs money.
Gimp and the .dds and Normal plugin. Great tool and free.

Changing camera for fine tuning of placement:
Left mouse button (LMB) on an object and press propertied. You can now move around the insert point (That white sphere) from any direction and use the arrow navigation keys to move and object. Pg up and Pg down for height. Holding control and these keys enter fine tune mode.

it takes about a half hour to get the hang of navigation and placement options. The is also F9 mode when in test game.

Hope this gets you started. and thanks for posting. There are guides on the steam board, in the community Hub, with instructions on different parts of creating and editing objects.

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

netdata
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you, very informative post!
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 23:46:02
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 23:46:02