Product Chat / Selecting Entities Inside Buildings

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I've been building a prison using a prison pack of components and grid mode. I've placed quite a few entities inside using the Edit Inside mode (Tab button).

It is becoming very difficult to select the desired entities even when I lock entities above, below and adjacent. Could you maybe improve on the selection tool to make this easier. I'm guessing it will be easier when the Construction Kit comes.
Julian
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi lordjulian

Yes this is being discussed and we are looking into much easier functional way of doing this ...
Just bare with us .... its agreed to many models makes this awkward ..
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Bisella
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2015 09:51
The solution is to add different display modes.
perspective view
isometric view
Side view
Management models through hierarchy or layer
and many other

The only view from the top is absolutely restricted
The software I use? ... Autocad, sketchup, Spazio3D, pconplanner, Kerkythea, wings3d, paint.net, torque3d, AxixGameFactory, PD particles.
PM
MadLad Designs
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2015 10:02
May be right-click and a list of models under the cursor will appear and you can select the correct model from there.
Check out my YouTube Gaming Channel: /user/MadLadDesigns

W7 Home 64-bit, Intel i5-3330 quad-core 3.20GHz, nVidia GTX660 2Gb, 8Gb ram
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2015 10:05 Edited at: 13th Mar 2015 10:06
A tree menu has also been discussed to pick the item from a list ..
I think that's a great solution myself

Lots of great ideas though ..
PM
MadLad Designs
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2015 14:58
While a full tree menu is great, what happens if you have. say, 20 copies of object A, 40 copies of object B and 30 copies of object C scattered about the map , and where the cursor is you have one or of each object. How do you know which specific object of, say, object B it is from the list of 40 objects in the tree view?

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2015 15:38
You could have something visual (having multiple crates numbered, ie. lgcrate_01, lgcrate_02, etc.) that highlights a specific entity in the editor, after you click on it in the tree. That way you could simply click away, down the list, and watch the highlighted entities as you go.
Intel Core i7-4820K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2015 18:51 Edited at: 13th Mar 2015 23:16
Quote: "While a full tree menu is great, what happens if you have. say, 20 copies of object A, 40 copies of object B and 30 copies of object C scattered about the map , and where the cursor is you have one or of each object. How do you know which specific object of, say, object B it is from the list of 40 objects in the tree view?"

Technically when an entity is selected we should see some type of outlined box around them. This is what Bethesda does with their CK editor which I use everyday. We're talking 100's of objects on screen and its very easy to go through each. You have a worldspace with a list of entities. The ones with the same name you just double click one of them and the screen centers on that entity and you see it is highlighted with an outlined box around it. Also CK allows you to give each entity a unique name if you wish... for an easier way to find them, additionally.

Game Guru severally needs a feature like this. Also the widget alone isn't the best indicator of what is selected.
i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce 420 GT
World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Game Development
Posted: 15th Mar 2015 04:13 Edited at: 15th Mar 2015 04:15
Quote: "The solution is to add different display modes.
perspective view
isometric view
Side view"

I have been advising and requesting this since FPSC Reloaded was first considered.

You need an orthographic display with the option to make any camera full screen. You need top (current one), left, right, front, back and perspective (otherwise known as iso). Pretty much ALL 3D Animation programs and MOST game engines have this.

But . . . no one listens to me.

Mike
YOU DREAM IT - WE CREATE IT!

www.world-class-multimedia.com

For world-class virtual instruments - www.supersynths.com
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2015 04:55
Quote: "But . . . no one listens to me."

I think everyone feels that way when it comes to this particular subject, yet we all seem to agree on these seemingly basic tools.
MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2015 05:26
Even to have the ability for select group of entities, only dropping mouse around them, may help.
Sometime you need move 20 entities and you've do that one by one, and this could be a pain.
Accidentally I do loss one entity below the ground dealing wih z axis via gizmo, I longer do no see it.
I believe that include a shovel in the next update, would be fine.

3com

Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 8.1 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow. Looks like my issue struck a chord. Hopefully a solution will be implemented soon..
Julian
PM
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
WE REALLY NEEDS A BETTER SOLUTION FOR THIS...

today I purchased some multi floors buildings fro the store and when I press tab on selcected building only the first layer roof disappear but the main roof not so I really cant place obects and entities into the building ..it's a pain...
PC Specs:

Q9550@3,8GHZ - 8GB RAM - SVGA R9 280 3GB GDDR5 - HDD WD 1500TB
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "WE REALLY NEEDS A BETTER SOLUTION FOR THIS...

today I purchased some multi floors buildings fro the store and when I press tab on selcected building only the first layer roof disappear but the main roof not so I really cant place obects and entities into the building ..it's a pain..."

Can you tell me which building you purchased and I will check it ..
PM
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
yes, I purchased guru building pack one from valuable asset form the store and multilayer buildings doesnt workd with tab key
PC Specs:

Q9550@3,8GHZ - 8GB RAM - SVGA R9 280 3GB GDDR5 - HDD WD 1500TB
PM
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: around
Posted: 18th Mar 2015 11:10
I only now realized that there is no function to put a rectangle around a group of models and move or copy them.

I am starting to get a bit worried about how many basic but essential features from FPSC are simply missing from GG even after 2 years of development.
In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "yes, I purchased guru building pack one from valuable asset form the store and multilayer buildings doesnt workd with tab key "

Try selecting the building and then select "Lock"
That seemed to work for me ....
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2015 11:39
Perhaps hiddden items or wireframe features, may help.

3com

OS: Windows 8.1 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmmm Wireframe mode...
That's a good one ...
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2015 16:22
To edit an entity inside a building, first press the TAB key when in the IDE which will switch to INSIDE MODE. You can then zoom in with the mouse wheel until you penetrate the top of the roof and into the building itself. You can then click the floor of the building and select LOCK to remove it from future consideration when clicking (SHIFT+Click selects it again). Once your building is locked and your camera inside the building, you can edit the contents as though the building was not there.

I will be adding a 'Free Flight Camera Mode' to make this even easier, and also considering some of the ideas mentioned here for better entity management which I agree gets a little crazy when you start to get into the 100's.
PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

kehagiat
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I will be adding a 'Free Flight Camera Mode' "

Please please please !!!! If the above (Free Flight Camera Mode) gets implemented in the editor, can we also get in the actual game? With lua control? Pretty please!?
Whereof one cannot speak thereof one must be silent
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2015 13:57
The Free Flight Camera Mode is for editing, not for in-game 'flying around' controls You can of course use the Jet Pack to fly around now, but I know what you mean about the LUA commands. Once we've sorted the STANDARD user niggles, I will be happy to drop in some powerful ADVANCED user LUA commands for you scripters
PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2015 14:51 Edited at: 20th Mar 2015 14:55
Quote: "Please please please !!!! If the above (Free Flight Camera Mode) gets implemented in the editor, can we also get in the actual game? With lua control? Pretty please!?"

Isn't this already possible with existing commands? I've not tried it as i can't see much use for it in general, apart from getting flyovers for a video or such. Definitely possible with jetpac commands as I did a quick script for it quite some time ago. It is languishing somewhere in the scripts forum.

Edit - The object selection issue is sometimes quite annoying. Particularly if you have several objects on top of the one you wish to select. You have to somehow select each and lock them individually to finally get to the one underneath.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2015 18:30
The 021 update, should make this easier for all. Check it out.
Thanks
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2015 21:40 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2015 22:05
Quote: "
I will be adding a 'Free Flight Camera Mode' to make this even easier, and also considering some of the ideas mentioned here for better entity management which I agree gets a little crazy when you start to get into the 100's."

Quote: "To edit an entity inside a building, first press the TAB key when in the IDE which will switch to INSIDE MODE."

I actually didn't know about this. I should add it to my tutorials im building

( I also just realized that currently selected entities are now highlighted in green. So no need for a box around them as I was suggesting. )
i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce 420 GT
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2015 00:14
I am curious if anyone has any ideas how we can deal with the 'five entities on top of each other' and selecting the right one from a top down view. I have seen tools that create large tree lists and you scroll through them to find the name you are interested in but I am eager for something more visual and intuitive. When we add free flight camera mode, you can simply get a cross section view and just pick the one you want, but for those who are not in the ideal perspective, any ideas? I was thinking that clicking secondary times will 'scroll' through the different entities until you have the right one. Kind of like a deck of cards, and if you click the top you will go through the whole deck in sequence and then it wraps back to the top of the pack..

3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2015 00:42
Pan view + zoom might help.
Too later to think in something, most elaborate.

3com

PM
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
Lee, I'm with you - keep it visual and intuitive. That's the hallmark of GameGuru. That's how humans work (I have psychology degrees and also family).
Julian
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2015 03:11
In Classic it was click and accepted your way thru the stacked objects. Took a bit to get thru, but effective,

maybe if the shrinkwrap selection could scroll thru the stacked objects, bypassing the select stage, allowing one to select when it became highlighted, by the shrinkwrap, would be very visual and effective.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

MadLad Designs
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2015 08:30
Lee wrote: "I am curious if anyone has any ideas how we can deal with the 'five entities on top of each other' and selecting the right one from a top down view"

Perhaps when clicking the top object of the stack you could press the plus key and it hides the visible object at the top. So pressing plus will hide the top object with the next becoming visible, press again and the second object hides showing the third object and so on. Pressing minus will do the opposite?

science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2015 09:33
free flight view sounds good for making scenes for videos, i have several little studio sets made on guru, waiting for life and a free roaming video in house maker so we can make in game films, it already happens in f9 shame about the marker being there and the icons up top. if they add the film maker bit will shut up many, then add the cut scene zone and the kids will love it. make sure a hd version.

i have been sitting back a while and watching things unfold. there are a lot of peed off people here, rightly so but now they have the message.

besides that i am wondering if ravey is staying on multi player?
an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2015 14:51
Isolate selection/isolate unselected/end isolate.
Video bellow say better than me, what's my point.

3com

PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 02:27:34
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 02:27:34