Product Chat / [LOCKED] why cost $$$ when best engines are free?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
hi,

why do this cost money when the best engines for aaa games like unreal and unity are completely free? why use this engine instead of those?

also, as i understand this was fps engine but then they gave up and decided to make goal of adding every genre to it?? how can they make such engine if they cant finished fps engine first
PM
Errant AI
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2015 05:17
GameGuru is, for most people, easier to get started with than those other two engines. To them, that's worth something.

This is a continuation of that engine. The developers have not given up on anything at all. Yes, they have broadened their horizons. Nothing wrong with that as many users desire to incorporate mechanics from various genres into their FPS games.
Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3, Intel Core i7 2600K, 16GB Corsair DDR3, EVGA GTX 970 SC, Win7 Pro 64-bit SP1, Primary monitor @ 1920x1080, secondary monitor @ 1024x1280
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 12th Mar 2015 07:12 Edited at: 12th Mar 2015 07:37
Both unreal and unity have costs involved in other departments, and may have features disabled or add on modules and other hidden costs.Unity pro is over $1000 and add on modules costs some serious additional money, extra media also costs some serious bucks.So people's eyes glaze over when they read free, they don't read the fine print........

GameGuru is 20 bucks and that is the extend you need to pay, no hidden or additional costs, same applies to store content, what you see is what you pay.It really can't be any simpler.You also forgetting there is other engine that you need to pay for, leadworks, the rpg maker, gamestudio A8, axis game factory, ect, ect, Gameguru isn't the exception here for having a paid engine.Free engines is hardly the norm, having 3 big engines having free options, it doesn't mean every one should follow suite, because they are doing it.

Each engine, has their own features, content, additional modules, ect ect.Game guru punts ease of use, and any one can make a game in minutes, which none of the other engine can say.What you see is what you get, not much right now, give it a few months, and people will be happy to spend 20 dollars on some thing without, hidden costs.
Win7 pro, Intel 2500K @3.7ghz 660GTX 8gig ram 16tb HDD
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2015 08:13
And if you someday maybe make a good game with GG, which you can sell, it's all yours then. Not so if u use UE4, if you pass 3000 us$ then you to pay 5% on every buck over 3000.

20$ not really much... Go out and eat with friends and you pay 10 times of that
Old school FPS fan, DOOM !!!! Waiting for the zombies
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Mainly because the free engines are not as easy to get something done. Also as mentioned extra costs down the line if you ever get anything worth selling. Frankly, the big free engines out there are pretty complicated and scare off most people fairly quickly. Those engines will never be easy to use because they are aimed at professional developers. This latest free direction is mainly to get people using their systems. It is a way of ensuring new users taking it up. If you are in the market for that sort of thing you probably are using one of them already. Otherwise, Game Guru has a place for people wanting something a bit less daunting, but still fairly competent.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2015 19:21 Edited at: 12th Mar 2015 19:23
Your paying a one time fee for 100% royalty of what you produce - with a very easy to use engine.

Quote: "every genre to it?? how can they make such engine if they cant finished fps engine first"

FPSC-Classic (FPSCx9) also had medieval, cartoon, sci-fi, modern, wwii... themes. So realistically its not any different at the moment.
i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce 420 GT
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2015 19:35 Edited at: 12th Mar 2015 19:54
"Easy to use"...Well at least easier....if you are at entry level it makes for a great introduction to games design.If you have even one of the necessary skill requirements you could make a kick butt game on your own.
The real hook is creating your own games for fun and if your going to do that you really don't want to be having to learn several high degree level skill sets.

The cost? If you look at all the assets that come with the package and the low cost of those in the store, with many artists who distribute some free media, you might well consider the engine a pittance. All the same if you think about it, when this engine is better polished with all the features and good performance, I would be willing to put money on it that many companies would snap this up for smaller projects and prototyping over paying percentage for AAA engines.

Above all you will find this community one of the best and most helpful out there and that is priceless.
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2015 01:07
I second everything above!
MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
johnstiffler87
Years of Service
User Offline
if i am not mistaken gameguru is meant as a toy for beginners/youngsteirs, so why are you guys talking about making money from it? how many people are going to buy a game made in "the easier game maker"? royalties arent relevant, if your going to make a bad game no one will buy it.

after reading the forum i am under the impresion that this is just a tool/game made for fun, rather than making AAA games. so why does it cost more than the best engines available?
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2015 03:33 Edited at: 15th Mar 2015 04:06
With effort and thought you can put out some decent stuff. Even thou they are giving away the AAA engines right now, the chances of you being one person making even a crappy game in there AAA engine is slim to none.

And if you do happen to get something out and sell over $3000. a Quarter with it, they want there 5%, that is on any money making ideas including Kickstarters.

I can see in time where masses of people could produce an indie game and sell at least that much per quarter, all by them selves.

For @$20.00 with all the assets that come with it, Plus all the free media in the store and in the forum, this is a sweet deal.
You had the option of just downloading there free engine and just using that, so if your not going to give it a chance and a try, then by all means go over there and make your AAA game by your self. And good luck.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Game Development
Posted: 15th Mar 2015 03:46 Edited at: 15th Mar 2015 03:49
It's a game engine with a built in level editor and no need to script or program, but you can script in Lua if you need further functionality.

You still need to create game assets (characters, objects, textures, sounds and music) for your game - and how you do that and how WELL you do that is based on you or your team's talents and professionalism. A single person can also do great things with Game Guru, but it will be much harder and take much longer.

In Game Guru, you can literally place objects, sculpt terrain, add characters and bad guys, tweak the AI and place the player - press TEST and you are playing your game - it's that easy to do - but it can be as complex as you want it to be.

In other words - a fantastic artist can make a work of art with Windows Paint. A incredible sculptor can create a work of art with Playdough and Silly Putty. Point is, if you are an amazing artist/modeller/sound professional/composer/programmer - then you can create a pretty impressive title with Game Guru (once it's out of beta and optimized). If you are just a kid or adult with little to no talent - then you can use the out-of-box assets and create a fun game you and your friends can play.

What you do with it is totally up to you.

Mike
YOU DREAM IT - WE CREATE IT!

www.world-class-multimedia.com

For world-class virtual instruments - www.supersynths.com
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2015 03:49 Edited at: 15th Mar 2015 03:51
Also other engines may seem an amazing deal till you look more closely....

Cryengine on steam only £6:99 ...Great deal right ....

Look again ... I have been caught out like this before ..

The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2015 03:55
Well said to all that replied in this thread. to the OP.

Gold stars for all.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

johnstiffler87
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "And if you do happen to get something out and sell over $3000. a Quarter with it, they want there 5%, that is on any money making ideas including Kickstarters."

you seem to be in denial. unless you have a good game engine to begin with your never going to sell your game, so the royalties are COMPLETELY IRRELEVENT. sure i could win the tour de france on a crappy $50 bike, but ill be better on an expensive one designed for profesionals. the $50 bike is just to have fun on.

im so confused now. i assume gameguru is just for some fun like gamemaker, but others are argueing that it can make commercial games? wich is it, for fun or profit?

@World Class Multimedia: you just described something like udk but not as good

Quote: "Well said to all that replied in this thread. to the OP.

Gold stars for all."

because they have an opinion that favours your product?
PM
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2015 04:28
@ johnstiffler87/Benjamin/Seditious: If you have a point to make, other than to "fan the flames" here; I would appreciate it if you would get to it. Otherwise, I'll assume you are just here to stir discontent and act accordingly. If you'd like to try GameGuru for yourself, you let me know and I'll give you one of my personal keys.

Have a great day!

-Keith
Intel Core i7-4820K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
PM
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry, having a games night with a friend and I introduced him to DBP/AGK. Didn't expect him to post while I was on the toilet haha!
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2015 04:41 Edited at: 15th Mar 2015 04:56
Quote: "you seem to be in denial. unless you have a good game engine to begin with your never going to sell your game, so the royalties are COMPLETELY IRRELEVENT. sure i could win the tour de france on a crappy $50 bike, but ill be better on an expensive one designed for profesionals. the $50 bike is just to have fun on.

im so confused now. i assume gameguru is just for some fun like gamemaker, but others are argueing that it can make commercial games? wich is it, for fun or profit?"

If you want to have fun with it, have fun. That's what I do. If you want to make a game to sell, make a game to sell. If you want to use UE4, use UE4. I use that as well. If you want to use Unity, do so. I've worked with it also. Just please, don't come back crying when you realize that with either of those engines you will need several people involved in your project to make it happen if you want your dream to be realized before your own demise. If you want to try the Tour De France, go for it and good luck, Lance. This engine is still in development, however, with enough ingenuity, a fully functional game could be made, even at this time. Nobody is in denial here, in fact, the majority are realists. (There are a few exceptions, of course!) If you have truly read the forums here, you would realize this. Otherwise, you are simply being a (MOD_EDIT...Please don't insult another user).

Sorry, but really, he was!
MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2015 04:44
It's alright Benjamin. You must have had game night on the 11th as well.
Intel Core i7-4820K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
PM
Polaraul
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Based on what (almost overnight) FPSCR became, I will be using one of the alternative development environments for the following reasons:

Target Audience:
As a gold backer, I had high hopes that FPSCR would become a development kit that, whilst not being able to match the big players, would at least meet them halfway. In retrospect, this could have just been naïvety on my part. Today, GameGuru sells on Steam for £14.99 and feels aimed at game players who want to dip their toes into the waters of game development. And, there is nothing wrong with that at all. I just feel though that GameGuru will never become the development environment I need. If GameGuru proves popular in its current format, will TGC ever want to add too much complexity to the product.

WYSIWYG:
How long will it be before GameGuru ships with all its feature set? Given the TGC canon, I think it will be a long while. Ironically, I think that early access will slow down the development of the product even further. Free or not, I need a development environment that is complete now.

Having said all that though, I would still say that GameGuru is capable of producing a successful game.
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
It seems to me this post is just flame bait. If the poster is unhappy with GameGuru's engine then please move on to one of the other better engines you mention. They have been around forever, as I said before. I have little time for people who whine about how bad GG is comparing it to FREE engines out there. Great go try em. You will find it takes a lot of work before you get that much done of any note. Do you think we all use GG for no good reason? Do you think we haven't possibly tried the free engines already? I must admit this for me would be a locked thread. The main poster obviously does not listen to the comments and just bangs on with the same stupid question. Flame bait.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
Gervais
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2015 15:20 Edited at: 16th Mar 2015 00:33
None of the current AAA game engines are complete, proof to that is they keep adding new functionality to them to make them easier to use and to follow what there users are demanding manly the medium and small size studio

But to be truly honest if you try to make an AAA game by yourself using those product good luck see you in a few years I know I did try and the learning curve is very hi it look easy at first but to do something really good then that something else and get ready to throw lots of cash to get the asset you really need that is not free.

Game Guru may not be perfect at this time but it is very good for what they are offering would consider it almost free if you can’t afford 20$ then …
The best is yet to come and it is not that far
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2015 22:51
...And TGC has a pub than ohers does not.

wip

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 8.1 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2015 23:02 Edited at: 15th Mar 2015 23:32
I think Dvader is right the question has been answered several times over. If the OP is simply arguing, even using different accounts to bolster his own opinion and that is all it is, an uninformed opinion, then it isn't very helpful to anyone here.

I wish people would learn to debate properly using statement followed by example. Unless the OP can present some examples of work and games he has personally done in these other engines and comparison to GG to support his comments then there is no point and we are just going round in circles.

It appears to me that the OP could simply have went straight to one of the 'free' engines and didn't really need to waste his time and ours with any debate over the why's and how's of it. If he wanted to know why choose GG over another then his question was answered and instead he wants to diss this one. He is quite obviously trolling and I don't see why we are feeding him.
Polaraul
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "If the OP is simply arguing, even using different accounts to bolster his own opinion and that is all it is, an uninformed opinion"

Well, my account is my own, and even though I am not the OP, I did post in favour of the other development environments.

Quote: "Unless the OP can present some examples of work and games he has personally done in these other engines and comparison to GG"

Again, not the OP, but I will be starting work on my project soon. Providing it does not take too much time out of main production, I would not be adverse to creating a scene both in GG and the development environment I have chosen. The pipeline for GG is slightly longer due to converting models from the FBX format, but I will see what I can do

And, even though everyone seems super defensive of the product in this thread, I am not here to criticise it! I believed enough in the product to back it at Gold level. However, the real question for me is, would I still choose GG if it too were free? Perhaps not in its current state. GG does have a lot of potential though, for instance, the character creator would be a great feature to have. Currently dev licenses from Daz and SmithMicro for their respective products run into $300 and $500 dollars respectively. At some point in the future I would still very much like to be able to use GG, my biggest fear for the product though is that it gets stuck in a very long beta cycle.
PM
Errant AI
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2015 07:57
Moral of the story...

Use any engine you like.

If you choose GameGuru then cool.

If choose something else, that's cool too.

Either way, enjoy making your games and let others enjoy making theirs.

Locking this.
Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3, Intel Core i7 2600K, 16GB Corsair DDR3, EVGA GTX 970 SC, Win7 Pro 64-bit SP1, Primary monitor @ 1920x1080, secondary monitor @ 1024x1280

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 07:13:33
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 07:13:33