Product Chat / Smooth Free Roaming World Cam

Author
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 10th Mar 2015 22:50
Had a bit of a break through when trying to operate the player/cam to work with air vehicles. It can roam high into the sky (probably too high for the size of the terrain) and accelerate/decelerate/brake very cleanly. Rotate is working but I need to add roll, pitch and maybe yaw flight dynamics (WIP). The HUD can be switched off, so I imagine it could be good for recording smooth flight around well crafted and populated levels for demo purposes. Forgive mine here in the video - just demonstrating the camera effect, not the terrain

It seems to be quite stable and I'm now using it to fly airships (steampunk of course - some of these you can see in the video) slaved to the camera and can jump back and forth across 'parked' airships in the sky with the jet pack (eventually thought of a workaround to the collision on/no movement issue with a load of smoke and mirrors lua) ... it's starting to form cool game play. One thing I'm still struggling with is a way to determine terrain height at a x,z position. If I had that I could do auto landing and cool collision effects. I should probably start a WIP thread (I've also got some great transformer mech in play in GG now with enhanced/sneaky AI).

Any ideas for improvements?

Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
How do you make the camera move throught the air? Is there a camera command I do not know?
I would appreciate if you tell me...
My dream is to develope games, which makes fun when I create it and fun when other people play it.
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2015 00:32
Yes, would you care to share with the rest of the class? Nice job, however you did it!
MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2015 06:03
I would like to know also please.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Me as well
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2015 11:23 Edited at: 11th Mar 2015 13:34
I'm guessing it's using the player position commands. To fake a 2nd camera. Hasn't this been done for awhile now? Sure I saw a flying script around somewhere? A friend of mine suggested a flying script to me ages ago, but as said I was positive it had been done already. Plus that sort of flying is too second life for me so I just didn't bother.

All good fun though and just because it isn't my bag, doesn't mean it won't be the same for everyone. Nice bit of work!

Edit - Actually, I was thinking of doing something similar for my current project. Just for the very start give it a bit more of a polished look. Seems you have beaten me to it! Is yours a flying thing or a camera sweep? I will be doing the latter for what I want, just need to finish my current scripts. Having more than one key to use seems odd now, lol, but nice.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
I am not knowing if you do it like this, but this would be my solution for it
https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/211236

Am I correct?
My dream is to develope games, which makes fun when I create it and fun when other people play it.
PM
AuShadow
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2015 10:15
An idea for the auto landing, make a landing pad entity, place that in landing places and then get the height pos of that entity and set it to lower to that height value, at the x and y of the land pad
PC Specs: Windows 7 home 64-bit, Amd 7900 3gb DDR5 graphics, 8gb DDR3 Ram, Intel i7 3.4ghz
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2015 17:53
@Corno_1 - yes mate that's essentially how I did it, except I placed the lua all in one script and used a key to trigger the flying as well as the steerage. Also used Hide(e) instead of creating an invisible entity - I just used the 'chips' collectable as the proxy entity. I'll publish the script when I disentangle it from the other stuff I had for the game - but I probably don't need to now as yours is very similar. Nice one.

@AuShadow - great idea - wish I'd thought of that

@DVader - when I read your first reply (pre edits) I thought you were having a poke (which isn't like you from other posts you've made) and so I thought that you maybe thought I'd ripped someone else's script off, perhaps even yours - I can assure you I didn't - if there was a previous one like this I hadn't seen it. Anyway, for my game it's going to be embedded within a flying segment, but it can be used as a camera sweep - it's a simple move the player (and therefore player camera) to a proxy object's position using TransportToIfUsed - it is a fake as you say . I thought it would flicker or lag, but it really doesn't seem to which is nice. Also being able to use other keys to control the proxy object helps to make it all come together.

@MODs & JT - I got the idea from the multi-player levels - the bit where the camera circles around the player entity just before spawning. I figured Lee probably had other commands to use, but this approach might just work too - I extended my parachutestart.lua that I posted in the script board a while back. I'll release this one too soon.

Cheers.

cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2015 23:52
Here's a short video showing the extension of the 'world cam'. Here it is slaved (on key command) to an airship the player can board, so the player can pilot the ship (using the keyboard) whilst still using the mouse to look around and fire weapon. It's starting to get tricky to pilot and fight at same time though - too many controls for me. As you can see I lose .

I've got to say I know there's still a long way to go with the engine features and performance, but I'm loving GG for development at the moment. I'm in eat-code-sleep-repeat mode

I'm trying to get a cannon up and running but the projectiletype stubbornly refuses to take (think this will look great with cannonballs under gravity and wind resistance flying all over the place)... but I'm now thinking that it's hard coded in the engine to only allow rpg and grenade types (though it looks like it is parameterised in the gunspec). Driving me nuts. In a good way.
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2015 01:33
There's a lot of fun to be had with what you're doing, methinks!
MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
GoDevils
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2015 02:48
@ cybernescence

In an earlier post you indicated that you were going to publish the code for the free flying script. Have you done so yet??

I've used Crono_1's flying script and it is great for curtain movements, but does not allow the player/camera to look and walk around while in flight.

I'm very interested in seeing how this is done, as I'm working on a more nautical theme where the player is riding on a ship, but can still move and look around the deck while the ship below is moving.

Thanks
"THERE IS NO SPOON"

AMD 6300 6 core 3.5 ghz, Windows 8.1, 8GB ram, GTX 650 2GB ram
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2015 09:30
well a very long applaud amazing work fella, i would pay for this script enough said
an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi cybernescence.

No, I wasn't having a dig. I just seem to remember someone posting a flying script awhile ago somewhere. The only flying script I have posted was very basic, using any object to simulate the jetpac in response to a request when they were first introduced. That can be the trouble with forum posts, very hard to judge tone.

I've seen other posts of yours and know you do a fair bit of scripting and I consider you one of the most active and talented users in this area, along with Smallg, Avram and others (there are a few, but still a short list compared to the userbase). We have all done our bit to further the cause over time here.

This certainly is different to other GG games out there!

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
GoDevils
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2015 19:06
I'm willing to pay for this script as well.....
"THERE IS NO SPOON"

AMD 6300 6 core 3.5 ghz, Windows 8.1, 8GB ram, GTX 650 2GB ram

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 11:40:32
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 11:40:32