Scripts / Save / Load

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2015 23:34
Has anyone figured out a way to save / load a character's level yet through scripting? If so, any tips?
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2015 08:18
Yes, that would be nice to have... Maybe with the next engine update.
Old school FPS fan, DOOM !!!! Waiting for the zombies
PM
Big Dog Game Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2015 13:37
I hope so. This stalls me for development. I have 1/3 of my levels developed, and without the option to save there is no point in continuing. No one will play a game they have to start over from the beginning every time. Guess I need to step back from GG from now and just keep an eye on development until some of these features make it.
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2015 15:39
Yes yes....

3 Things I need for a full game.
- save game option
- file encryption
- a bit more performance

I hope I don't have to wait until dec. 2015 hahaha
PM
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 9th Mar 2015 15:57
Use Lua file reading/writing to do this. Here is a link to the commands available for writing to files.

http://www.lua.org/manual/5.3/manual.html#6.8
System Specs: OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 945, 3.0Ghz, RAM - 8Gb DDR3, GFX Card - 2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640, FPSC-R Version - Beta 1.0085
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2015 23:56
Save & load is a basic thing for a working game, it should be integrated by the devs, not by an user lua script.

Same with the level change, it should be possible to change the level and keep your actual values (health bar, weapons, ammo...) If u change the level and then everything is back to default values, the Players/users will be pissed, if they find the rare sniper rifle in lev1 and in lev2 it's gone...

Again, these are basic settings for a game (game dev kit) and should be integrated by the devs, not by an user here from the forum. Someone who buys it on steam maybe never visit the forum, but he/she should have the possibility to create a game with a working load/save system.

PM
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 10th Mar 2015 00:38
Quote: "Save & load is a basic thing for a working game, it should be integrated by the devs, not by an user lua script."

In reality, no game engine does this for you automatically. If GG eventually provides a mechanism to do this automatically then they'll accomplish quite a feat.

Quote: "Again, these are basic settings for a game (game dev kit) and should be integrated by the devs, not by an user here from the forum. "

Again, no they aren't. I wish it were so, but it's just not true.
System Specs: OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 945, 3.0Ghz, RAM - 8Gb DDR3, GFX Card - 2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640, FPSC-R Version - Beta 1.0085
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2015 08:06 Edited at: 10th Mar 2015 08:36
They called it "the easy game maker" so it should be inside
I guess sooner or later they will add a basic load&save option.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=89034&b=21

... 2006
PM
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 10th Mar 2015 13:47
Quote: "They called it "the easy game maker" so it should be inside"

I agree that they should eventually have something like this, but I don't think they'll be able to cover all the bases for everyone. I can envision a system where you have a persistent flag on entities to identify them as needed to be saved. That would cover some basic persistence on dynamic entities, but it wouldn't cover story elements for example. If there is eventually a built-in quest system then that could have persistence too, but if not then you'd have to store that sort of information yourself anyway. So, you're likely going to have to do some of the work yourself anyway.
Noktavian
Years of Service
User Offline
@Tomjscott

I think this is a misunderstanding as to what the two sides are asking for. In single player campaign of almost all shooters there is a persistant growth mechinism.

New weapons, save load files, so on so forth.

That is a staple in most FPS's. And definately one in games that are multiplayer. Mostly the Ftp methods.

Everything is persistant and that is what the other 2 are talking about. Growth and development, and i have to agree, it should be built in.
PM
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 10th Mar 2015 16:28
Well, either you have to make some broad assumptions about exactly what should be saved or provide some flexible method to allow the game maker to pick and choose. But regardless of whether or not this is a staple in most FPS games, engines still don't provide automatic saving for such things. I'm not trying to be difficult, just trying to point out that there are a lot of variables involved and a lot of possibilities for differences in how game makers are going to want this handled, as well as a lot of things that you just can't provide at all that must be coded manually.
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2015 18:01
Yes, but this here is not just an engine.
They call it "game maker" so it's more than just the engine.
I think for a default game like a FPS there should be a basic save system. (which you later can modify by yourself, if needed)
Sure, they can not do it for all kind of games, but at the moment GameGuru is just a FPS Creator.

So a basic setup should be possible.

Save:
-last played level
-player health/lives left
-player weapon collected
-player ammo left
-player x,y,z position
-npc positions x,y,z
-which npc still active (not dead)

That would be already a big plus.

PM
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 10th Mar 2015 18:12
Yes, those would be a good start and should cover most scenarios for what you can make right now for an FPS. For my game, it would require a bunch more custom saving/loading.
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
i think the general idea would be to save everything that is "drag and drop" - i.e. the list above (plus maybe experience points and such if they get added)
and anything scripted yourself (custom inventory items etc) would need to be saved yourself, that would be the best compromise.
life\'s one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, geforce gtx460, directx 11
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2015 21:47
sure, all your custom addons & items etc... must be added by yourself. but a little basic setup would be great
everything else the user can add then later.

PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2015 22:17
The idea of being able to save anywhere you want, excite me to much.
So, you can choose level to load, even back into the same level. Yes initial setup are needed.

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 8.1 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
Big Dog Game Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2015 03:47
Wow.. this has turned into quite the discussion lol. I guess I should be more clear about what I meant by save / load. I personally am looking for a system that will "auto save" when someone gets to the next level. My game does not involve health bars and such. But, I will have 25 levels for players to complete. If they had to do it all in one sit down, I'd never have anyone play.
I can see the merit in having a player save with stats, or at their current location. Being able to add "Save Points" to a level could record the players stats and location, plus allow them to load back in to the same spot. I understand I can look through the Lua documentation and probably script it in. I am not very familiar with Lua, but I am picking it up quickly. I do know there is no global calls for saving, and honestly I am weary about taking the time to research a save script that may not work with the engine because it was not meant to do that yet. That was my argument on the case
Devcore35
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2015 10:15
Hello,

Unfortunately I know nothing LUA script I had to test some things ...
But basically here is the procedure to already create a basic file:
Save the in "Files\scriptbank\checkpoint 2.lua"
In your game put this script in a Checkpoint or TriggerZone area (your choice).

There's a lot of stuff that does not serve anything !
But if you have ideas about starting this type of file to save your current game you can improve it.

It also remains to find out how to load that file (which I can not register in a specific folder: it is in "Files" by default).

After so it may just help some professional LUA language to advance ... ^^

Best Regards,

DevCore35

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 02:24:10
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 02:24:10