Product Chat / Selling Well On Steam

Author
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2015 20:51
I can only assume the launch on Steam is proving a great success. In the 36 hours following the launch my Store dashboard showed a massive 2000+ downloads bringing my total downloads for February to just about 5000 (mostly free models but who cares I personally do it for the fun).

Even more staggering is that since midnight today there has been a further 1083 downloads recorded on my Dashboard. Those kind of downloads tell me there must be a lot of sales of GameGuru happening which will be good for all TGC community.

Congratulations guys and well done.

Ken
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
No doubt exiting times for TGC
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2015 23:30 Edited at: 1st Mar 2015 23:51
I took a look at the store and see no amounts of downloads such as described for anything not even free stuff, perhaps only your stuff is being downloaded in such quantities or maybe a glitch in your dashboard, but I really don't see more than 300 downloads for anything I looked at which is past downloads (I didn't look at all the free stuff obviously) but really don't see any massive increase in downloads at all. Not saying it isn't happening for you but from what I can tell you must be the only one.
Even some of the quality older stuff for free shows a max of 500 odd downloads accrued over a long period of time, the highest downloads apply to the stuff released by TGC and those are mostly repeat downloads from stuff given free to pledgers and repeatedly downloaded as updates were made.

I would love for you to be right but think think the numbers are way off the mark for whatever reason.

Whatever....the figures you quote are certainly not across the board.
xCept
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
According to Steam Charts, which monitors how many users are actively running any product on Steam using Steam's API:

* 72 people were using GameGuru an hour ago
* 126 all-time peak users (the most people using it at one time)

This is not an indication of total sales but does give some insight into at least the number of concurrent users it has had.
PC SPECS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, AMD Phenom X6 1100T 3.60 GHz CPU (Passmark: 5934), NVIDIA Geforce GTX-680 2GB GPU (Passmark: 5712), G.SKILL 16GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) RAM
grobyken
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2015 08:32
Hi Rolfy

Interesting. It may be that my dashboard has gone wappy but the figures it is telling me are as shown in the two pictures below.

Can I just say I did not post as a boast but excitement that things looked good for the community. I worked as a lead programmer for a software house that sold its products in 40 countries as far as far afield as the Falkland Islands so get excited when I see success in the business. In this case for both the company and I hope people that make great support models like yourself, Henry Ham, Pirate Myke and all the other great artists around the product too numerous to list here.

So why do I give so much away. Well I figured any bomb, including a sales one needs primers as simple as that. I have not decided whether I will continue to make my work freely available or not as I am at present asking TGC why so many other 'interested' parties are taking huge lumps of the money from artists Steam 30%, PayPal 4%. I personally agree with paying TGC 30% to host the products and understand 20% tax but the others!!!!!

Anyway perhaps my Dashboard has gone nuts which would be a shame for all of us.

All the best and good luck with future sales

Ken

Attachments

Login to view attachments
grobyken
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2015 08:35
Sorry should have said picture 1 above is of downloads since 1st March and picture 2 is sales at February months end.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2015 08:40 Edited at: 2nd Mar 2015 08:47
I wasn't in any way trying to say you were boasting or whatever I just think it seems too high even if guru were being massively successful on Steam to see those kind of figures even for free stuff at this stage. I just reckon those figures are somehow wrong, believe me I would be more than happy to see such an interest in any product just as you would but take it with a pinch of salt. I think your work is really good and it is nice of you to be giving so much of your talent so freely

Now wouldn't it be interesting if those items had been for sale.......if it is a glitch on your dashboard I would have loved to hear how TGC winkled out of paying you
grobyken
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2015 08:53
'Now wouldn't it be interesting if those items had been for sale.......if it is a glitch on your dashboard I would have loved to hear how TGC winkled out of paying you'

HO.HO. Yep you are right there but I think all artists should pressure TGC to look at the commission rates which have now dropped to around 33% for us. That is the lowest I can find of any site.

Thanks for your kind comments regarding my work which I take with a real sense of pride.

Cheers mate.

Ken

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 19:36:06
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 19:36:06