Multiplayer / Other Players Need GameGuru..?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2015 23:56 Edited at: 24th Feb 2015 20:04
Have just had a quick look on the Discussion page on Steam for GameGuru and have just read the following:

Quote: "To play with your friends they would also need GameGuru. This is because like any multiplayer game you both require the engine to play online."

[MOD EDIT -Please do not swear.]

Please tell me that I've got the wrong end of the stick and misunderstood this!!! Surely the engine is included in a .exe file that people can buy or be given to download for free to friends and family..? Right..? The same way that FPSC did back in the day..?

Because if this isn't the case then it's impossible to sell to make any cash or give the game to others for free.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
PM
The Next
TGC Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2015 00:00 Edited at: 24th Feb 2015 00:12
At the moment everyone requires GameGuru to play multiplayer, however that is not the final plan. You will be able to build multiplayer standalone games just like a single player game and distribute as a final game.

This just isn't in the current version, the software is very much still in development.

However to use the Steam version of multiplayer, you will have to either publish your game via Steam to get an AppID, or have everyone run via GameGuru to use our AppID.

I have altered the post on the Steam discussions, to avoid confusion.
Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz (Passmark: 9021), 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked (Passmark: 8056)
PM
snowdog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2015 00:22
Blimey, that's not good. Having to publish a game on Steam just to get online multiplayer games going. Can you do that for free if your multiplayer map/game is free..? Otherwise it's a bit pointless using GameGuru to make multiplayer games available to friends for free to have a bit of fun.

I originally thought that using the Steam online infrastructure was a great idea, it's not looking so great now if my friends have to spend $19.99 to have a bit of fun.

This is a VERY bad design decision.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

PM
The Next
TGC Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2015 00:29
You can publish on Steam for free, but you have to go through the greenlight process to do so.

We are using Steam for the server infrastructure at the moment but if it is requested we could also add a non-Steam multiplayer. This is a community led development so if it is requested we could add it.

The Steam infrastructure is great for those that wish to sell games and it is very stable.

The project is always evolving and being updated so expect to see more changes in future.

Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz (Passmark: 9021), 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked (Passmark: 8056)
PM
Jackool
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Playing? Baha! Coding.
Posted: 24th Feb 2015 12:31
The Next wrote: "At the moment everyone requires GameGuru to play multiplayer, however that is not the final plan. You will be able to build multiplayer standalone games just like a single player game and distribute as a final game.

This just isn't in the current version, the software is very much still in development.

However to use the Steam version of multiplayer, you will have to either publish your game via Steam to get an AppID, or have everyone run via GameGuru to use our AppID.

I have altered the post on the Steam discussions, to avoid confusion."

Seeing as other players will require GameGuru in order to join your multiplayer games (at least for now), this basically sounds like Garry's Mod on it's own engine with a bit more detachment allowing you to publish the game on Steam later on (more free to do what you want)

Really interesting and I'm excited for the initial release - hopefully some day it will have most of the same functionality Garry's Mod does - because I've put 5,262 hours into Garry's Mod spending 80% of that time programming cool stuff.
Quite excited for this game maker - lots of potential here.
snowdog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2015 14:57
It's pointless going for the Steam Greenlight thing. It works based on votes. The world and his wife aren't going to vote for a multiplayer map made specifically for me and a few friends to use even if it's free to download.

If you are planning on building an executable file for multiplayer games how is that going to work for distribution of said executable file..? You're going to have thousands of people wanting to share their multiplayer game with friends and no way to play them because there's no way that ANY of them will be Greenlit and the majority of their friends won't want to fork out $20 to play it on GameGuru.

It's beginning to look like online multiplayer games are going to be impossible if things carry on the way they are with everyone needing their multiplayer map to be Greenlit.

PM
Jackool
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Playing? Baha! Coding.
Posted: 24th Feb 2015 15:38
snowdog wrote: "It's beginning to look like online multiplayer games are going to be impossible if things carry on the way they are with everyone needing their multiplayer map to be Greenlit."

You don't need your multiplayer map to be greenlit. Here is a quote from this thread:

The Next wrote: "The custom/store media is encrypted, then uploaded to Steam workshop. When someone connects to your lobby they will be asked to download the level from workshop. Once downloaded the engine will decrypt the media needed into memory and run the level.

They will not need to buy anything or have the media in order to test a level with you."
snowdog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2015 15:57
Everyone playing the game needs to own GameGuru unless the game is Greenlit. Which means if A Bronze Pledger wants an 8 player online game, for example, they'll either have to have 6 of their friends and family paying $19.99 to play or you'll need to have the game Greenlit. And NONE of these multiplayer games are going to be Greenlit.

And if Mr Joe Public buys it on Steam then his 7 friends and/or family members are going to have to fork out $19.99 each.

PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "And if Mr Joe Public buys it on Steam then his 7 friends and/or family members are going to have to fork out $19.99 each."

It doesn't have to be "Exactly" 8 players... It could be 2, 4 or 6 and there's a whole community to play match's with ?
And as The Next has stated...

Quote: "At the moment everyone requires GameGuru to play multiplayer, however that is not the final plan. You will be able to build multiplayer standalone games just like a single player game and distribute as a final game.
"

All good things will be coming
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
The Next
TGC Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2015 16:23
Just to add even though the only way to do multiplayer is via Steam at the moment the team could also add a non-Steam version if people think it is worthy of development time. It is just something that needs to be suggested and agreed as a good idea.
PM
snowdog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2015 18:56
Well I've just put it in Feature Creep so hopefully others are going to agree that the current state of affairs regarding online multiplayer is less than ideal. Have just read through the Greenlight page on Steam and before you can submit anything you need to pay a one-off fee of $100, which is daft enough, but your game also has to get voted on before they actually Greenlight the thing.

With the original FPSC all you needed to do was create an executable and let friends download it and Bob's your Uncle. Now, everyone needs to spend $19.99 to play your online map or be given a key if you have one going spare, which is ridiculous.

PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2015 03:07 Edited at: 25th Feb 2015 03:08
Quote: "With the original FPSC all you needed to do was create an executable and let friends download it and Bob's your Uncle. Now, everyone needs to spend $19.99 to play your online map or be given a key if you have one going spare, which is ridiculous."

You could play online multiplayer with FPSC? I didn't even know that! But then, I only bought it to prototype levels for DBPro.
MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2015 07:30 Edited at: 25th Feb 2015 07:30
One the biggest features with FPSC-Classic was indeed its multiplayer. Though for me I've always focused on single player game development.
i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce 420 GT
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2015 09:50 Edited at: 25th Feb 2015 09:55
guys, it is more a fact that 19 dollars is more like 9 pounds, i paid 65 pounds for what appears is a multi player game, with single player taking a back burner for now , i have waited 2 years with many others the same for a fully functioning engine. so i think if your friends are not wanting to spend 9 pounds and not wait 2 years while it gets made and not get an unfinished version of multi player but a full version with many new features being flung its way.why not wait for release and give your friends the steam keys you get free, this will solve all problems, multi player is their new baby, i will have to wait another 2 years to swim lol, i am a bit jaded but not put off just yet. so do not let a very cheap and awesome deal where your friends get a game maker for next to nothing and you all can play multi player together for near nothing. that is a very good deal for anyone into multi player mayhem,
an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
Old Larry
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2015 21:08 Edited at: 28th Feb 2015 21:09
snowdog wrote: "With the original FPSC all you needed to do was create an executable and let friends download it and Bob's your Uncle. Now, everyone needs to spend $19.99 to play your online map or be given a key if you have one going spare, which is ridiculous."

indeed, the old FPSC solved the multiplayer from years ago, why the GameGuru can't due this ?!?
Maybe some friends want to play in their local network (at job, in vacancy or in another places where is not any internet connection).
Another bad example with this GameGuru on steam: I must have internet connection and steam started, to I can build some scene on my single player map. Why ?!?
Smile today, tomorrow could be worse

http://bestradiolarry.ro/fpsarea/

"The best forum, game software, operating system or web platform, it's that software which can give you most of the features and speed, not just amazing graphics."
Blind Digger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2015 22:24 Edited at: 28th Feb 2015 22:34
Haven't tried but you could try using steam in offline mode, works fine for single player games.

Stephen

Just tried GG offline, works fine for building maps.
When you start steam without internet connection it gives you the option to start in offline mode.
Old Larry
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2015 20:57 Edited at: 4th Mar 2015 21:36
Blind Digger wrote: "Just tried GG offline, works fine for building maps.
When you start steam without internet connection it gives you the option to start in offline mode."

Ok, but how about this multiplayer problem: "indeed, the old FPSC solved the multiplayer from years ago, why the GameGuru can't due this ?!?
Maybe some friends want to PLAY IN THEIR LOCAL NETWORK (at job, in their family place, in vacancy or in another places where is not any internet connection)."
We really need one stand alone multiplayer.exe we're not force us to access the steam !
PLUS: Game Guru autoupdate with the steam change all our buildings settings.
For example, I don't need that "autoflatten" active, because I really work hard to my map terrain
and don't want to mess it by that stupid setting "autoflatten = 1" when I put another building in my map !

"The best forum, game software, operating system or web platform, it's that software which can give you most of the features and speed, not just amazing graphics."
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2015 00:35
As mentioned above Larry, if it's enough of a Community wish; the developers will look at the possibility of having a non-Steam Multiplayer feature. The same goes for turning auto-flatten on/off. We are listening.
Intel Core i7-4820K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
PM
Old Larry
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2015 18:46
Full thanks @KeithC for answer me !

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The same goes for turning auto-flatten on/off. We are listening. "

When you select a building just press " U " it changes colour and doesn't auto flatten.....
does that help ?
PM
Old Larry
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2015 15:07
synchromesh wrote: "When you select a building just press " U " it changes colour and doesn't auto flatten.....
does that help ?"

No, the "U" don't working, and the "Y" for changing the active-dinamic to static of entities don't working too.

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "No, the "U" don't working, and the "Y" for changing the active-dinamic to static of entities don't working too"

Just re- checked.... working fine on mine ?
PM
Old Larry
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2015 22:11 Edited at: 19th Mar 2015 22:13
Quote: "Just re- checked.... working fine on mine ?"

Working just on the new models-entities, on the models (entities) imported with "import model" option, still not working.
And another old problem (I've mentioned also in the "Bug report" at https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/211316 :
We still having problems with foots speed sound of player.
The "Footfall Pace" setting have no one influence ! For example if I increase the player speed from the default "speed = 100" to 150, 200 or greater,
the player foots sound is keeps that "speed = 100" ( I've refer strictly at sound speed, what player hearing).
This inconvenient appearing after first steam GG version, before the steam version, was fully functionally that player foots speed sounds :
just for testing, I've set the speed at "speed = 300" from player start option, and the sounds of player foots, was perfectly synchronized with the "speed = 300" from player start option
Please don't forget about this problem.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 23:02:16
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 23:02:16