Product Chat / Multi-Textures

Author
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2015 12:22
Sorry but I am going round in circles here on this one. I have been putting multi-textures on models following a post that recommended putting reference to them in the X file and no reference in the fpe. That worked. Still does until Lightmapping is applied then its curtains. So that's no good. Only two textures are involved so it is within the limits set of nine. One post said remove all references to texture in the fpe and no reference in the X file and the textures will be picked up if placed in the same directory. No this just gives a black model with no textures.

X files support multi-textures so it is either I do not know what I am doing (very probable) or there is incorrect coding in the engine. Can either someone put me right or someone from the coding team tell me what is happening regarding multi-textures.

Many thanks

Ken
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
I think Multi texturing in the light mapper is still W.I.P
Whether it will be fixed in the steam version I don't know..... it should be just a case of leaving the Texture field blank in the fpe
If that works and looks ok then you have done it right.

If however you use the light mapper and it all goes wrong then I would say its still down to that ..
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson crusoe
PM
J_C
Years of Service
User Offline
I think I read somewhere that for multi-texture models you mark them as non static so the light mapper ignores them
so they use the real time shading only...
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2015 14:15 Edited at: 18th Feb 2015 14:16
Thanks again, J_C, I will try that when I get home from work today. That may be just the solution for my problem. (I had the canalis giganticus in another thread) Real time shadows do work fine, anyway, I only want the lightmapper for when I actually start building a city and populating it with more than 10-15 entities.
MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I think I read somewhere that for multi-texture models you mark them as non static so the light mapper ignores them
so they use the real time shading only..."

Yes I just gave that a try and it seems to work fine
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
grobyken
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2015 15:43
Thanks J_C that works OK but only in certain circumstances being where there is no interaction with another non static model. In my case the model is a bridge which the Store will require AIs to pass over and there will be a clash. So good for some models but not others.

It seems to me there is a problem between what the main engine will accept (multiple textures) and the Lightmapping module. So this is a necessary fix by the development team as there is no point in coding in a facility for one part of a system that is not accepted by another. The error code thrown up on my system is 7023 - Limb does not exist at line 6695 which is a Service Control Management error usually found on XP systems (I am on Windows 8.1) but my experience of 20 years as a programmer has taught me that error codes are sometimes the closest the system thinks it can get and can be a wrong call.

Ken

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 03:50:38
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 03:50:38